Tip for blocking flashing ads

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by pasara, Oct 14, 2008.

1. pasara

pasara New Member

Are the flashing ads bother on websites hard on you? They are for me. I overload right away, and usually keep cards by my computer to cover them up.

Well, I just learned how to block them! and thought I'd share.

On Firefox:

firefox tools menu/ Add-ons/ Plugins/ Shockwaveflash disable click ok, then restart firefox should stop flash ads

On Internet Explorer:

Internet Explorer tools menu/internet options/programs/manage add-ons/ shockwave flash object disable click on ok, then restart internet exploxer should stop flash ads.

2. fibromickster

fibromickster New Member

This would be awesome, however, I got as far as the menu/internet options/programs and then I don't see "manage add-ons", maybe I am just missing it somehow or am I missing a step.

Thanks so much, I would love to be able to stop those flash ads.

3. pasara

pasara New Member

you start in the "tools" menu. "tools" is at the to[p of the page. look there, not start menu. does that help?

now I did discover, this can keep you from viewing some embedded videos. in that case would have to re-enable to watch.

good luck!
  4. fibromickster

fibromickster New Member

Thanks Pasara, that did work. Now I don't see those annoying flash ads that jump around all over the page.

Thanks Again!!!!

5. caffey

caffey New Member

I don't usually get those pop ups. But today I was on a website and it happened. So I had an idea. I right clicked on the ad and near the bottom it says block all messages from ..... So I clicked on it and it deleted it. Immediately another one popped up and I did the same thing. Then they stopped. Oh yeah this is on firefox. I hope that helps a bit.
  6. Jorgie

Jorgie New Member

I use an addon for firefox called adblock plus. You can right click on an add/picture and block the image from showing. It's nice but if you start blocking everything the internet can start to look a bit bland.
    [This Message was Edited on 10/16/2008]