tips for dental work?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by Genome, Sep 26, 2011.

1. Genome

Genome New Member

I'm wondering if anyone has advice about how to cope with dental work. I have fibromyalgia and had my first filling several years ago. The result was intense pain for 3 or 4 weeks, which was finally alleviated some by craniosacral therapy. I am due to have 2 fillings next month and am very nervous.

My dentist seemed surprised that I'd experienced such problems. I asked if I should use a muscle relaxer or something this time around and she said sure, if I want to have my doctor prescribe on that's fine. I've never used a muscle relaxer before and don't know if this is appropriate or if there's something else that might be more useful.

My last filling was in my upper row of teeth but the bulk of my pain was actually in the lower row, as if the pain were primarily a result of pressure applied by the dentist on my lower mouth while trying to reach the filling.

Any thoughts or suggestions would be greatly appreciated!!!
  2. Yucca13

Yucca13 Member

I'm a 'senior citizen' who has had to have a lot of dental work done lately. My bottom teeth looked ok from the outside, but were demineralizing and decaying inside. Other dentists I went to didn't tell me about the severity of the problem so the whole thing snuck up on me. I'm sure it has a lot to do with dry mouth contributed to by medications.

I had a number of crowns done this summer and with the treatment, a lot of Lidocaine to numb the areas being worked on.

I had a very strange, strong reaction to the numbing agent. Two days after treatment, I started vomitting severely and it lasted for 8 hours. The first time I thought it must have been something I ate. When it happened the second time, I realized that it had to be the numbing agent. I told the doctor and they had never heard of that reaction. I've had Lidocaine in the past but not such a large amount.

The last time I went, they used a different brand (I should have gotten the name of it). It didn't cause the vomitting reaction. Any way, I think most people with FMS/CFIDS have more sensitive systems than others.

I guess the idea is to relax you, Genome, so that you won't be so tense during treatment. If someone drives you, maybe the muscle relaxant or a benzodiazepine (Valim or Xanax) might help. I hope it goes well.
  3. clementyne

clementyne New Member

I have trouble @ the dentist, myself. When I had to have my wisdom teeth pulled, I did not anticipate the pain. The next day my jaw hurt so bad & within a couple of days my whole face was bruised. My dentist said the bruising came from holding my mouth open so long!

Now, before I go even for a cleaning I take a Vicodin before and after. Another thing I have learned is that it is important to have an experienced hygienist. And if your mouth is always dry, use biotene products. Have the hygienist squirt the gel in your mouth or rub your teeth with it. Makes cleaning much easier.

A muscle relaxer might be helpful (even if just to calm your nerves) but if you aren't used to it you might need someone to drive you.

Good Luck!
    Clementyne
  4. Genome

Genome New Member

Thanks so much for your feedback. I really appreciate it!
  5. diannalisa

diannalisa New Member

I just had a root canal and crown done Monday. I'm currently on morphine 30mg instant release for pain which did nothing for the pain of my mouth after the numbness wore off. I guess it's because my gums were hurting the most from where they injected the numbing agent. I happened to have some extra strength pm orajel which I rubbed on my gums and teeth ahh instant relief for several hours. By Tuesday morning it was down to a L5 from a L8 of pain and today (Wednesday) it's a L2. I used the orajel Tuesday once during the day and once at night. So far today haven't needed it at all. The Morphine I normally take for my fms/cfs/me pain has been sufficient to control the lingering tooth pain.

I have to go back next week for another crown and will take a Soma muscle relaxer as well as asking them to use biotene for my cleaning, those are such great tips! I'll also take a pain pill before I go in for the appt too as a preventative measure.
  6. 3gs

3gs New Member

I started to have all my teeth taken out(past repair). Unfortunatly I ended up with nerve damage.

After 4 teeth were extracted last May I had to stop as dentist was so rough he damaged my neck,and jaw from pressing so hard against jaw to extract.

I know now muscle relaxer is a must along with pain meds before hand. Also may consider being knocked out. Many people have to have them not use ephrine in shots.

Am still dealing with pain and wondering how to proceed with the rest.
  7. Genome

Genome New Member

I hadn't thought of it but maybe the pain I experienced was also from where the numbing agent was injected. Will definitely try Orajel. Thanks for the tip and good luck next week!
  8. Genome

Genome New Member

Thanks for the feedback 3gs. I'm sorry to hear about your experience--sounds truly miserable. Good luck and hang in there.
  9. gb66

gb66 Well-Known Member

i also use carbocaine without epinephrine. It's so much better for me than novacaine. I used to have ulcers on my gums after getting my teeth filled with novacaine, where the needle went in. Ask you dentist about carbocaine. It hurts a liitle more on the first injection because it's a little thicker than novacaine but leaves no gum problems.

They usually give me a couple of shots but I don't feel the second one. I never have gum pain afterwards but sometimes have sore jaw from holding my mouth open for a long time. GB66

10. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

Not everyone may be able to do this but I go into a very relaxed state before the dental work begins, including the injection. When muscles are taut, it is much more difficult for the needle to penetrate and it causes more pain, not only when the injection is given, but also when it wears off. This is also true while sitting still with one's jaw wide open.

I was so relaxed during one root canal that the dentist stopped to make sure I was all right.

Learning how to reach such a state of relaxation can help in all areas of one's life.

Love, Mikie
  11. sascha

sascha Member

two wisdom teeth extractions- one of them took a long time to get out- lots of wrenching- and i had to have two stitches put in after that one. jaw was swollen and sore after. i looked really peculiar.

i know it sounds dingy/woo-woo to people who haven't been introduced to it- but EFT helps with situations like this- helps with the pain, the worry, the stress, the healing after.

it's a technique based on acupuncture- acupressure that you can learn and use by yourself for yourself on most everything and anything. i recommend looking into it. it has been, and continues to be, such a help and comfort to me.

check (commercial URL removed by moderator) for inf. also you can find youtube videos, some of which are very helpful.

sascha
  12. Genome

Genome New Member

Mikkie, if you could only share *how* you accomplish your secret I would be set! ;)

Sascha, EFT sounds like a helpful tool in such situations. Craniosacral therapy was what finally gave me some relief from the pain in my prior experience.

So I had my first filling today and, while the experience itself was unpleasant, it wasn't horrific and was relatively brief. More importantly, the aftermath seems to be no big deal! I can't believe it!

I did take a muscle relaxer beforehand, as well as some ibuprofen. My dentist didn't think it likely that the anasthetic had been my problem, but she used carbocaine or something like it anyway just to keep me happy. So whatever made the difference, the difference was drastic, and I am ecstatic. Thanks everyone! :)

I will have another filling in 2 weeks and am hoping it will go as smoothly.