Tips for Managing Daily Life

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia and ME & Chronic Fatigue Syndrome' started by ProHealth, Jan 8, 2008.

1. Beadlady

Beadlady Member

I sweeped the floors earlier and then had to rest, so I just had a couple of little piles of dirt that I put out of the way. I just took the Dust Buster out and vacuumed the piles up and then ran it over the computer room carpet and around the kitchen garbage can--even got a few swipes on the dog too.

Using the dust buster was a lot easier than getting out the big vacuum cleaner that weighs a ton. :)
  2. jinlee

jinlee Member

My son sent me this hint from Japan. Put a big pan of water on to boil. Put whole potatoes in it with skins on. Boil potatoes until they are as done as you want. Then put them in a bowl of ice with water for 10 seconds or so. Then just grab the peel and it pulls right off.

I can't peel anymore so his hint was much appreciated. This was his first stint at cooking for himself and he was quite proud, as he should be, of this simple tip.

Jinlee.
    FenDog likes this.
  3. mrwilliams

mrwilliams New Member

Good sleep does it for me. I also work full time and need it. Also not overdoing the extras as well, as others have said. Also prayer....

Some great advice below! Keep them coming!!
  4. believe3513

believe3513 New Member

I like what ilovepink4 had to say lot's of guilt when I'm not up to doing family funtions excpecially when most people don't understand

Bob
  5. sjvb87

sjvb87 New Member

Surprisingly, the method your son suggested is used throughout Europe and was used long before the idea of peeling potatoes developed.

In countries such as Germany, Switzerland, Austria etc the Potatoes are always put in to boil in their jackets and once ready, are rinced under cold water, the skin simply falling off in the process.

Most of our potatoes are home grown, so we simply rince them off under the tap and give a bit of a scrub with a scotch brite before plunging them into the boiling water.

The flavour of the potatoe is far superior to those that are peeled - but be sure to choose a good quality spud that doesnt go mushey.
  6. marie2000_99_99

marie2000_99_99 New Member

I work a full time job. I have pain everyday. When you dont look sick people think you are fine, I am tired just getting through the day.

mentally i am drained. Just dont know what to do.
    [This Message was Edited on 02/19/2008]
  7. jotpoint21

jotpoint21 New Member

For my 3 meals/day and any snacking, I focus on protein now because it is a slower digested and released form of energy that doesn't spike my insulin, the way even natural sweeteners can, and lasts longer throughout the day.

I eat much less "sweet" foods, although I focus on natural sweeteners with my protein meals: sauteed or cooked onions, corn, sweet potatoes, peas, etc. I stopped eating anything with processed sugar - I realize that's hard to do. Even with that, I would still get mid-day fatigue storms, perhaps because I continued to eat fruit liberally.

Then I learned that protein takes longer to digest. So, if I'm going to have any natural sugar (berries in my protein shake, for example), I'll eat some protein 10 minutes before. I might snack on walnuts, or put cashew butter on a protein-rich, sugar-low slice of bread.

I don't eat an entire apple anymore, I eat half of one with some nuts. This also goes for watching the healthy, slightly sugary vegetables - carrots, peas, corn. I ensure I'm having protein with those meals, even if it's a matter of swiping carrots with cashew butter (5g protein to 2g natural sugar) to balance the protein-sugar ratio during snacking.

And, after dinner for dessert, if I want my gluten-free, dairy-free and stevia-based (natural sweetener) cookies, great if following a protein-high meal. If not, I'll have walnuts with them.

I can't say for sure that this is the reason, but it seemed like when I started paying close attention to this, my mid-day, ferocious fatigue went away. I still get tired and a little brain foggy, but not every day. Many of my other debilitating symptoms remain, but at least I'm awake and coherent to witness them - not sure if that's a plus - lol!
  8. luvdogs

luvdogs New Member

Cymbalta, which helped a little with pain, but was miraculous for my depression, and plain old attitude. I try to stay as involved with life as possible. Sometimes I do things I enjoy even when I am knock down drag out tired. I might not think I am enjoying it at the moment, but i'm always glad I did it later, even if I have to laugh at myself for dragging myself through the experience. My garden--even if I have to hire people to do most of the work. My dogs--so affectionate, and always there for me, no matter what.
  9. dzing

dzing New Member

If you use a small humidifier in your room, it does two things. It moistens the air so he won't snore as much and listening to it running at a steady pace it is soothing-like white noice. It really works for us.
  10. luvdogs

luvdogs New Member

My boyfriend/partner snores, and he snores so loudly, I told him that unless he had a sleep study, I would sleep in a separate room. It turns out he has sleep apnea, which can be a life-threatening condition. Now he uses a C-pap to help him breathe, and he no longer snores at all. Anyone who snores, or whose husband snores--you need to make sure you/he doesn't have sleep apnea. Snorers often have it. Also, fibro/ME sufferers who snore often have sleep apnea. Dr Lapp keeps asking me if I snore.
  11. momof27

momof27 New Member

I SLEEP MUCH BETTER I LOVE THE NOISE IT MAKES SOUNDS LIKE THE OCEAN HE DOESN'T SNORE AND I SLEEP BETTER( WHEN I SLEEP)
  12. HeartTugs

HeartTugs New Member

This is just an approach I've adopted for my daily life. Each day I choose one room to focus my housekeeping efforts on. This approach has helped me focus my little bit of energy and things don't seem overwhelming. At least every room gets looked at once a week and depending on how I'm feeling they might even get swiped clean! I also do one load of laundry each day.
  13. scott66

scott66 New Member

I thought I had the fibro tricks. Did anybody mention stretching? I try 20 min. a day. works good for me. More smaller breaks than one long break.spread normal cleanig routine over the week. Than all at once. If you got to move snow get it while it is falling, Rather all at once.
    As you leave a room (even just to go to the washroom) take away any garbage, clutter, dishes etc I wish my wife knew that one Anne. Thanx..
  14. FM58

FM58 New Member

I purchase those Lysol or Clorox wipes when they are on sale and at Costco. I use those things daily in my bathrooms.

Each day I wipe down my bathroom sink - I have a house full of men that shave! - My hubby, 2 boys in college and one that still lives at home in his 20's. So, there are always stray hairs from them.

I just wire down the sink, then dry it quickly - it takes only a minute. I try to wipe the toilet every other day also. This way it cuts down on a huge cleaning time once a week. It keeps the bathroom much cleaner in-between the times I can tackle it to really get in there.

When I do the bathroom "cleaning" I take everything out of the tub/shower - then use a cleaning spray that I can tolerate - spray everything down in the tub area. I swish some toilet cleaner in the toilet, spray some cleaner around there and the bathroom sink - then LEAVE!

I come back in about an hour - I've let the cleaner do it's job - if necessary, I may need to spray a tough spot or two again, but mostly I just need to wipe things down then rinse with the shower & put everything back in the tub (the shampoos, body wash etc.) I really only takes a few minutes to use some paper towels to wipe down the toilet, then swish the cleanser and flush -voila, its clean! I'll sweep; (then mop the floor every other week - or have on of the boys do that for me)Wipe down the sink, since it has been kept up, clean the mirror & it's done. My bathrooms are small - so I'm not sure if that is an asset or hinderance - sometimes cleaning a small space is difficult because you have to be creative where everything is!

Now since I live with 3 not so neat boys in my house - I've grown oh so tired of repeating myself of reminding them of the house "rules" regarding cleaning up after themselves. So, I recently posted lovely little notes around the house.

On the microwave - Please make sure you use a cover for your food. If you make a mess, Please clean it up.

By the back door, I wrote - Remember to check the garbage and recycling - If they are full, Please take them out - it is part of your family responsibility.

I have to say, my boys have been much better about chipping in since I posted these notes! I don't have to "wawawawawawa" anymore!
  15. romalaw

romalaw Member

There are some really great tips on this thread

People always suggest making lists and keeping notes because of brain fog, I've tried this but I often end up not being able to find my lists or notes, or I forget that I made them. I bought a large black board 5' x 6') and had it mounted on the wall in the kitchen. That's where I make my lists and notes, my husband also leaves me messages and reminders on it before he goes to work. Totally reusable and I never lose it! Also, it's hard to forget it because it's the first thing I see when I walk into the kitchen.

I also dry myself with a terrycloth robe, eat protein with any sugars, boil my potatoes in their jackets. I also have learned to move things by scooting them with my feet or pushing against them with my butt. Moving to a one story house has helped tremendously with household management.

One of the most important things that I keep having to re-learn is to ask for help--something I seldom did when I was well. I find my husband and adult children can run a lot of errands for me while they're out and about if I just let them know what I need. I try to remember that every task someone relieves me of allows me to save that energy for something else.

[This Message was Edited on 03/07/2008]
  16. tennisnut

tennisnut New Member

Yep, separate beds, better separate rooms. Forget guilt, the only way to get any worthwhile sleep.
  17. elena53

elena53 New Member

I had to make the difficult decision to stop working. It is the best thing I could have done. I am now able to manage the recurrence of pain a lot better. I just started taking Lyrica and that has seemed to also help.

My immediate family has known for years that something was wrong although they did not understand it. My job required 50-60 and more hours or work per week, therefore they thought it was due to this. I no longer had a life other than work. This went on for 6 years. I would come home from work and go straight to bed. Weekends were the same.

This was not a life. Always in pain and since I usually walked with stiffness in my legs, my staff knew that I was sick.

Jodielee72 likes this.
  18. Tiffanie1

Tiffanie1 New Member

Hi I also have fm. My husband snored like crazy untill he got tested and does have sleep apnea. He now wears a little machine all night that helps him breathe, he no longer snores. Not too romantic looking but it has saved us from having seperate rooms wich I thought would be sooner or later. We now sleep much better. Tiffanie
  19. fibrobook

fibrobook New Member

I have had to give up many of the activities I used to do due to 20 years of chronic pain. But there are some that I just will not give up. I love working in my flower beds and pulling weeds. It is very therapeutic and peaceful! The main difference as I've been able to do less and less physically is that instead of telling myself I'm going to go out and weed the front flower beds, I tell myself I'm going to go out and weed two or three square feet of the front flower beds.

That way I've set a realistic goal that I can achieve and be proud of instead of feeling like such a loser and a failure when I have to quit after 20 minutes!

All of the suggestions I've read in this thread are all the kinds of tips I'd like to include in a book that I'm working on. Please contact me at fibrobook@yahoo.com if you'd be interested in contributing your story and your lifestyle tips!
  20. kcfm

kcfm New Member

I thought I was the only one that felt this way. I don't know what to do, I have great friends but they don't have a clue as to the pain I'm in. I work full time because of the insurance but it is getting almost impossible to coninue. My husband is great but how can I worry him with the fact I don't think I can work much longer. What can I do?