Tips for Shedding Fur babies

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by sisland, Nov 5, 2007.

1. sisland

sisland New Member

Hi all Fur babie owners and lovers!

I discovered if i put a dryer sheet in the dryer and (the articale of clothing or blanket,,etc) that has fur all over it that the dryer sheet will remove it,,,,,,,,let the dryer run on warm for about 10 minutes ,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,Anyone eles have any tips?
  2. ckball

ckball New Member

I use a lightly damp cloth to clean my furniture off. It just roll the fur. Then I take it outside and shake it out and go back at it again. I use fleece throws on my couch and chair which really help, I have several so change and put a clean one on.

My dogs go everywhere with me, so it works really well for the seats in the car. Carla
  3. victoria

victoria New Member

IF my dogs weren't so neurotic (even the ticking of the toaster makes them stare, still), I'd get one of those hoses to connect to a vac in the next room, and hose them to get the excess hair off...

Our 'dust bunnies' grow to the size of mastodons within about 4 days, year-round, no let-up! Seriously thinking about the brand new Roomba series of vacs... altho I'd have to put the dogs in the other room LOL!

4. Greenbean7

Greenbean7 New Member

I vaccum Rey but Aster runs and hides when I get the vac out.

If you have stuff to wash that have dog hair on them, dry them first, like Sis mentioned. Use a dryer sheet. Make sure you clean the hair, er, lint trap! Then wash them. Takes a lot of the hair out before it gets into your washer.

Swiffer, swiffer, swiffer! We are remodeling the living room this winter (I hope after Christmas!) and I am considering hardwood floors. That would leave carpet just in the bedrooms. I know that the hair I can't see on the carpet migrates to the kitchen/dining area and I think I could keep a better handle on it if I could swiffer the living room, too.

I just try to keep ahead of the drifts!

5. Khalyal

Khalyal New Member

My Border Collie has an undercoat that comes out in clumps. They waft down the hallway like tumblin' tumbleweeds. Every time I see them, I think of the music to that move, The Good The Bad and The Ugly.

I want to do like Greenbean, take out all the carpet. Then, I want to open the front door and put a huge fan there, and open the backdoor to let it all blow out. Yep, that's what I want.

Love y'all
  6. ckball

ckball New Member

I have wood floors and yep you see every hair, both my dogs are white and oak color floors. I have a china cabinet that sits off the floor with claw feet.

I could have a enough hair under there to stuff and make pillows for the rest of my life,hehe.

I do have a large area rug that centers the LV, the room us large to put the sofa in the middle of the room, that does collect some. I use my swiffer for walls, ceilings, I have valuted ceilings so it works great.

Thanks for the dryer first tip, I had never heard of that. I use sheets on top of my bedspread so save from washing so much. We need to come up with something to do with it and make money for it! It would be recycling, what do you think?? Carla

I go threw my times of more brushing and times when it just doesn't happen. SInce I have decided not to let them roam anymore, baths have been fewer and fewer.
  7. sisland

sisland New Member

For all the tips and ideas! I vacum everything about 2 or 3 times a week,,,! changeing the vacum cleaner bag often!,,,,,,,,Hardwood floors and swiffers sound like the most popular choice!,,,,,,,,,,,,,,Oh Yes and the Fan thing! lolol,,,,,Brushing helps alittle too!,,,,,Good idea Bean about putting the blanket in the dryer before washing it!

I'm a big fan of fleece vests so guess where all the dog hair ends up!,,,lolol,,,,thoes sticky lint rollers are a life saver!
    [This Message was Edited on 11/05/2007]
  8. victoria

victoria New Member

now all I'm going to think of is that theme from Good, Bad & Ugly TOO - hey that was one of my favorites!!!

BTW, attic fans work somewhat well at getting things rolling too... as does the exhaust from a shop vac!

9. Greenbean7

Greenbean7 New Member

My DH says if I could convince the dogs that I would eat the dog hair then they would gobble it up! We're not gonna try that one!

I have a black lab and a golden retriever. I had hoped the two colors would cancel each other out. Darn it! It just means you can't wear any color at my house without seeing fur.

And, even though the golden's hair doesn't show much, the labs hair sticks to it so I can see it better. So kind of Aster to help!

10. sisland

sisland New Member

The bad and the ugly" is a perfect theme for the tumbeling tumbel weeds of dog hair!,,,,,,,lolol!,,,,,,,,

Speakin' of shopvacs,,,,,,My Brother is remodeling his house and he has the Biggest one i've ever seen!

I swear it's about 3 ft tall and 3 ft wide and powerful! Of course i said "where did you get that?" and he said ,,,,,,at a Garage sale for $75 bucks,,,,,it's huge and will vacum up just about anything,,,,,,,

Lucky's hair is a combo of Black and white so it's the strangest thing that the white only shows up of course,,,,,,,,,

But i told him i would clean up dog hair for him as long as he is a good boy and doesn't Die or run away on me!,,,,,Lolol!

Thanks for all your input!

[This Message was Edited on 11/06/2007]