TIPS needed for Christmas Day!!!!!

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by darude, Dec 16, 2005.

1. darude

darude New Member

My daughter is cooking the Christmas dinner this year. I still want to help and need tips on do ahead stuff. I would like to cook stuff on days I feel OK and freeze. For instance I make great stuffing but don't know about freezing it first would turn out same?
  2. dononagin

dononagin New Member

I've never tried to freeze stuffing! A good rule of thumb though is anything that you can buy frozen and re-heat you can freeze and re-heat at home. Make sure to cool the food first before freezing.. can't remember why but there was something about it in a serve-safe course I took..

I know back in the days that I actually did cookies and such I used to mix up the dough and bake it later.. wrap in cello then slice and through it on the pan.. cheaper then popping fresh!
    Happy Holidays!
  3. Jen102

Jen102 New Member

makes mashed potatoes ahead.It has sour cream and cream cheese and garlic powder in it, in part. If you can eat those things, and you would like the recipe, I will look it up. They can be made several days in advance. Blessings. Jen102--I used to love to cook--still do, but now more or less minimally for survival rather than creative outlet. ha.
    [This Message was Edited on 12/16/2005]
  4. pepper

pepper New Member

My husband makes those potatoes too! They have become a family tradition that everybody looks forward to at all our holiday dinners. Potatoes, sour cream, cream cheese and optional garlic salt. We put bread crumbs (gluten free this year) and drizzle melted butter on top. Then you just re-heat and it makes the dinner so much easier.

You can do the same thing with mashed turnips and/or carrots. I can't imagine why you couldn't make the stuffing ahead of time, depending on what is in it.

Pepper
    [This Message was Edited on 12/16/2005]
  5. JLH

JLH New Member

I would like to have that recipe--they really sound yummy!!

Thanks,
    Janet
  6. darude

darude New Member

Please post potato recipe thanks
  7. JLH

JLH New Member

darude,

I have made pumpkin rolls and frozen them before. You need to wrap carefully and tight. Any cookies just about can be frozen.

Friday morning, my daughter is coming over to make a Red Velvet Cake for me and we will wrap it and put in the refrigerator until Sunday for Christmas Day dinner.

We also make fruit salad, and this will be made on Friday.

On Saturday morning, I will made deviled eggs for Sunday along with cole slaw. I cheat and buy the already shredded cabbage slaw mix and then just make my own dressing. I always chop the cabbage mix a little finer though.

You can have baked beans mixed up and refrigerate and ready to bake. Same with candied sweet potatoes. Bake your sweet potatoes on Friday and maybe Saturday peel them and add all of your ingredients so they are ready to bake on Sunday for dinner.

Cheese balls can be made a couple days ahead of time.

Pumpkin and pecan pies are simple to make. Use the Pillsbury All-Ready Pie Crusts (in a box in the refrigerated section) and use the canned pumpkin pie mix (and not the solid pack pumpkin). You can bake them the day before.

I really don't know what all could be frozen. We normally have a whole ham for Christmas (since we had turkey and dressing for Thanksgiving). I put the ham in to bake the minute I get up on Christmas morning before we open presents. We will also have mashed potatoes (you can peel your potatoes the night before and cover with salted cold water and put in refrigerator.)

You can buy a frozen shrimp ring and just place in the fridge the evening before to defrost--something for an appetizer.

You could prepare a small fresh veggie tray early. Prepare all of your veggies and seal them tightly in baggies and do not place on tray until ready to eat. Buy a dip, or I have an excellent recipe for a dip in the Holiday Recipe thread --the one started for Thanksgiving.

Another easy salad-type dish you could make would be to take your nicest small bowls and place a pineapple ring in the bottom, top with a scoop of small curd cottage cheese, then top off when a stemmed marachino (?sp) cherry. Put plastic wrap around top and put in fridge until serving time.

I try to think of easy items that I can fix sitting down at the table, since I can't stand up, while my daughter does the jobs that require standing or running here to there!

These are the only tips I have--sorry none of them were freezer related!

Hope you have a wonderful Christmas!!

Holiday Hugs,
    Janet
  8. darude

darude New Member

Will try some of these Janet. I too sit at the table and prepare as I can't stand for long. Annie the Londoner
  9. Jen102

Jen102 New Member

Here is my mom's recipe for make ahead mashed potatoes.

5 lbs. or 9 large potatoes
    2-3 oz. packages cream cheese (or use 6 oz of the softened kind in the tub)
    1 C. sour cream
    2 tsp. onion salt or powder
    1 tsp. salt (may omit if used onion salt)
    1/2 tsp. white pepper
    2 Tablespoons butter or margarine.

Cook potatoes as you would for any other mashed potatoes. Mash potatoes, add other ingredients and beat well with electric mixer. Cool, cover and refrigerate. To use, place desired amount in a greased casserole dish. Dot with butter and bake 350 degrees for 30 minutes. Makes 8 cups or 12 servings. Freezes well but let thaw before baking. For variation, garlic salt may be used instead of onion salt. A whole batch will fit in a 9x13 in. greased baking dish. These may be used any time up to 2 weeks when kept refrigerated.

Blessings to each of you. Jen102
  10. dononagin

dononagin New Member

What do you put in your dressing for the coleslaw? I've seen those shredded cabbage mixes but have no clue on the dressing! Thanx!
  11. darude

darude New Member

Will definately be making the mashed potatoes in advance thanks so much. I made brocolli and cauliflour in cheese sauce and that is frozen already. Found out CAN freeze my stuffing so will do that to. Pies apple and pumpkin also frozen.
  12. sabimax

sabimax New Member

if you make choco covered candies...for a dessert...you can make that days ahead and keep in a sealed container...just like candy..mmmmm

easy too..I buy the brinks of choco..white and choco...and do whatever choco covered raisins, nuts, chowmein noodles, anything//

and if you havea microwave then even easier..you can melt the choco in microwave...and then mix the item into the bowl...then just scoop spoonfuls onto wax paper...mmmmmmmmmmmm anyhow good luck and take care,sarah
  13. darude

darude New Member

Gonna do strawberries covered in whit choc and dark chocolate.
  14. sabimax

sabimax New Member

I am on my way..then hehehee where abouts are you..mmmmmmmm sarah
  15. darude

darude New Member

Calgary, Alberta and your welcome!!!!!!!! Gonna try your recipes too.
  16. JLH

JLH New Member

COLE SLAW DRESSING

I make my own dressing whether I use the packaged cole slaw cabbage mix, or if I shred a head of caggage.

I am the kind of cook who doesn't measure anything--so it will be hard for me to tell you how to make it--but I'll try.

This is what I use in it:
    Mircle Whip
    Vinegar
    Sugar
    Milk
    Salt & Pepper

I put a big "gob" of Mircle Whip in a bowl--maybe somewhere between 3/4 to 1 cup. Then I add a little bit of vinegar--guessing around 1 Tablespoon. Then I whisk that together. Then I add some sugar--guessing around 2 Tablespoons. Whisk again. Now I will add a little bit of milk at a time to thin the Mircle Whip into a dressing consistency--add about a Tablespoon or two at a time. You don't want it too thin or it will be a milk dressing!! Try anywhere from 4-6 Tablespoons. Then lightly salt and pepper. Pour on cabbage and mix thoroughly. Then refrigerate until the cabbage "softens". Re-stir. If it doesn't taste right, add a spoonful or two of Mircle Whip and stir again.

I'm sorry I don't have exact measurements--I have never measured them! The amount of Mircle Whip that I start out with is according to the amount of shredded cabbage that I have. If you make a smaller amount of dressing first and it's not enough to cover the slaw, you can always mix up another small batch. You don't want to get too much dressing or it will overpower your slaw and you'll taste too much mayonnaise!

If I make it the night before, I will sometimes place a paper towel over the top of the slaw before putting the lid on--that way the moisture that forms on the bottom of the lid overnight won't drain down into the slaw and drip in it when you take the lid off, leaving your slaw waterey. (I always use Bounty paper towels because they absorb better and won't tear off and land in slaw!) Does this make sense?!!

You can always sprinkle paprika over the top of the slaw before serving.

Holiday Hugs,
    Janet
  17. darude

darude New Member

Well I better get on it ans start making some of this stuff to freeze or Christmas day will be here!!!!!!!
  18. Alary

Alary Member

Hi, I cooked and froze stuffing the week before Thanksgiving. Thanksgiving morning I took out what I needed and the rest is still frozen for Christmas dinner! It came out great. The only change I made was adding a little extra broth so it wouldn't get dry.
  19. darude

darude New Member

Freeze stuffing too