Tips on problem solving and cognitive improvements

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by Kimelia, Jul 27, 2006.

1. Kimelia

Kimelia New Member

Hey. I was wondering if anyone has any tips on all the above. My boss has been giving me a really hard time due to my slow cognitive process sometimes. He thinks I should just pick up on stuff that I don't get or that I should remember every single thing he tells me. Honestly it's really getting old and I'm not sure I will be able to handle his pressure. I feel it's unrealistic but he does not. Therefore I"m trying to figure out ways to remember and to pick up on things I didn't pick up on before, sometimes it just seems like common sense but I'm not getting it.

I'm not dumb by any means but this darn brain fog, as you all know really interferes with my life..job.

I would love any input even if it's just to say he's expecting too much. Friday I was in tears because of it, in front of him. He can be pretty harsh though he doesn't see it at all. He's a first time boss too, so I'm sure thats part of it. I am paid pretty well, better then ever but I"m afraid one day I'm gonna have had enough and I'm just going to walk out. Then wonder how in the world I'm going to make it.
  2. gingercat77

gingercat77 New Member

I know Ive really overdone it when the brain fog comes on.. then I know it's time to lie down or sleep, which usually helps. I know it's not practical if you're at work though. I put my phone onto voicemail and just sit very quietly doing emails. Do you have CFS? Does your boss know about this? I think if you do and you explain what it is they will be a lot more sympathetic to you..

Gingercat
  3. jole

jole Member

Notes, notes and more notes. I have a notebook on my desk and have pages of organized notes so if I forget how to do something there is a spot to look it up.

It takes a few minutes but is better than getting it wrong. Has saved my job more than once.
  4. Kimelia

Kimelia New Member

Great idea. I actually have lots of legal pads which I keep notes on of things I need to do and things I've done just for back up. I check them off as I do them and reference back for things that I might have missed.

I need to be able to improve my ability to look at something and put 2 and 2 together even when I'm having foggy moments... Problem solving type things. Simple and complex...
  5. Kimelia

Kimelia New Member

I thought more of us had to deal with these issues...... I hope not, but thought so.
  6. rockgor

rockgor Well-Known Member

keep notes on conversations w/ the boss, etc. Someday you may want to file a claim for stress, etc. Nice to have writen down what was said by whom, who was present, date and time, etc.
  7. Kimelia

Kimelia New Member

Really good idea. I would not file any claims against him but at least I will know I'm not going crazy and will be able to recall things if necessary which for various reasons could well be.
  8. Kimelia

Kimelia New Member

I forgot to mention. He has told me that he does not believe in illness. Parts of his theory I get but other parts I don't. I know it's a mind/body connection but the physical ailments are there non the less.

I think he thinks mind over matter and that I am deciding to be sick in a nutshell. So trying to explain to him how these illnesses affect me would do no good.

He's a good guy. We go to church together. It's just that he does not understand this. I have to give it to him that he's trying. Like I was out for 1.5 days this week and he's been pretty undersatnding. I had to juggle the week to make up for lost time too so that it's only 1.5 days I've missed. He's allowing me to do that and trying to understand. I fear that it will come up and not that he'll mean to but it will probably be somehow used against me.
  9. Kimelia

Kimelia New Member

how do u find the time to do all of that? :eek:

I'm thinking of doing crossword puzzles. I like reading too.

[ advertisement ]