Tired, a mess, depressed, and whatever else I can throw in

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by Jittle, Aug 10, 2012.

1. Jittle

Jittle Member

I have not been here in a couple of months: A little bit of lazy, busy, tired and even more tired. And I apoligize for the length of this post.

It has been a rough summer and don't know what direction my life is going to go in. I have been taking easy, but not getting any better.

First, I am so tired. What is everyone using to help fatigue? I could sleep all day, and most of the night. The only time I am not tired is when I wake up at 5am .....for what reason this is happening, I have no clue. And the wierdest part of this 5am wake up, I FEEL OK: Not a lot of aches or pains, but if I go back for a few more hours of sleep I am a disaster when I wake up.
    Please HELP, I need any suggestions. I would like to stay awake. I need to find a job, and I don't think an afternoon nap will work for an employer(lol).

Secondly, I have been constantly sick. I seem to have constant sinus infections, or I feel chest congestion. The only way I feel better is on an antibotic.... I think my family doc (who knows about my FM) is getting annoyed. I am going to try grape seed again, and see how that works. The pain and tiredness is bad enough, now I feel sick everyday on top of it...how much can one person take?????

The big one, oh the depression, I feel so sorry for my husband. He says it is not my fault, but he works so hard and makes enough money, well enough if all my doctor bills, prescriptions,, and supplements did not drain half of his pay checks. I lost my job two years ago. I was recieving umemployment insurance: I thought I would have enought time to find a job that was suitable for me and my FM/CFS. Well NJ did not qualify for the federal extension and I lost the last few months of insurance, and still no job. Out health insurance rolls over in September and we have a $6000 deductible... My meds are so expensive, I just don't know what we are going to do. I had a major break down last night over the money situation. I need valium just for that, but can't afford it (lol).

Speaking of meds.... I take topamax for headaches. I have nerve problems in the back of my head, and cause headaches at the top and front of my head (very bad pressure). Topamax was the first drug the doctors tried and it works, but it is a hundred dollars a month. Does anyone know of a supplement that would work instead?

I think thats it, sorry so long, have not been here in months. guess I am just hopeing someone has found "that miracle" that can help me feel better. I miss my old life and often wonder if there was anything I could have done to prevent this.

Thanks for listening. Hope everyone is doing ok. Best of luck.
  2. gb66

gb66 Well-Known Member

First of all let me say I'm sorry you're feeling so bad. I have had (still have) all the symptoms you mention. I tried working for several years after becoming ill, and then I had to quit due to pain and fatigue.

I really hoped that rest would make me well, or at least better. It didn't, but at least I wasn't making myself worse like when I was pushing so hard to work.

This is not your fault. There's nothing we have done wrong or could have done to prevent this illness.

I too have the constant sinus stuffiness. I just use saline water to try and clear them and keep them moist. I also have to take antihistimines for allergies and that dries out my sinuses and makes the congestion a bit worse.

The only other meds I take are an over the counter pain reliever and BP medicine. I don't tolerate many medicines well.

I wish I had some advice for you but I don't know of anything to do for some of these problems. I know some of the others on here have had good results with supplements but I don't take any. (too many side effects for me).

Do you have CFS too or just a diagnosis of FM? I have both. Some of the things you mentioned sound like CFS symptoms, the extreme fatigue. Do you have a good doctor to talk to about this? What does your doctor get annoyed about?

I feel sorry for my husband too. He has to do almost all the household stuff now including all the shopping. All I can do is cook a few nights a week and take care of my personal needs. I told him last night that I feel guilty for not being able to be there for my family and not being dependable or productive. He said that I should know in my heart that it's not my fault. No one blames me.

I told him that sometimes I know in my head that it's not but I feel guilty anyway, even though I know better. It's hard for everyone. GB66

3. sunflowergirl

sunflowergirl Active Member

Then someone told me about oil of oregano to knock out bronchitis, sinus troubles, etc. At the time the doctor told me that I had to strengthen my immune system because I was continually getting either pneumonia or bronchitis or something.

I started to take it whenever I would feel like something coming on. It's not the greatest tasting stuff but hey......in a few minutes the taste is all gone. I usually take it twice a day when I'm really sick, or once a day when something is coming on.

I use l TBS frozen apple juice, defrosted, and 4 drops of the oil of oregano oil. Glug it down quickly and follow with water. Look it up online and read up on this miracle stuff.

By the way......I've been taking the grape seed extract for about 8 weeks now and I have to say I don't seem to be experiencing the really bad fatigue like I have in the past. My nasal passages have both opened up (it's been years since I could breathe thru both sides at the same time) I also have dropped ambien, and tylenol PM and now take a combination of Peaceful Nights (Prohealth) melatonin, 5 HTP, and lemon balm. I really think, for me, that the terrible sleep problem was contributing to the fatigue.

I hope you find something to help.
  4. neoplus1

neoplus1 Member

I am so sorry for how you are feeling. You had responded to one of my previous posts when I was feeling down. The emotional aspect of being ill can be worse than the illness itself sometimes. I feel so guilty all the time and it kills me. Your husband is a wise man and he is right, it is not your fault. The reason he works so hard is because he loves you and I'm sure if the roles were reversed, you would be doing the same thing and not blame him.

Continue reading about any and all possible treatments. I know money can be an issue especially when your insurance cost is through the roof. Perhaps maybe focus a little more on the alternative side of treatments. I don't know what supplements you take or whatyou have tried in the past, but do not give up. Many people have recovered from ME/CFS and fibro and from being bedbound. And others who have not fully recovered have improved enough to live somewhat normal lives where they can be productive. There is hope and you CANNOT give up.

As far as you feeling decent at 5am, that may be due to your cortisol being at its highest. Have you had your cortisol tested? Perhaps try supplements focused on supporting adrenal function? As far as medications to try, perhaps looking into antidepressants if you can tolerate them. Although I don't think they are a really good treatment for ME/CFS, I know a lot of people who have recovered and using antidepressants as part of their treatment was helpful.

Take care of yourself and try to look at the good things in your life. They are there. Don't give up hope.

PS: I have a similar problem with the head pain and that comes around into the front and having pressure. Maybe I will look into topamax. What dose do you take a day?

[This Message was Edited on 08/10/2012]
  5. Jittle

Jittle Member

I do have CFS as well. Thats where most of my problems come from, just being so tired. I swear I have less pain when I am not tired We have been on the go a lot latley so I slept most of the day today. On one hand I am still looking for a job cause I really want to work, but on the other hand we are thinking about SSI cause I don't know if I would be able to handle a 40 work week.

You know, I was thinking about it, and I have pretty much been tired all my life. I was never a morning person. Just a thought, wonder if this condition has been brewing in me for a long time.

Your husband sounds wonderful. Thats pretty much the response mine gives me. I just hope he does not get fed up with it... we hear so much of break ups because of this DD.

Thanks for your response. Tell your husband he is a great man!!!!
    Hope all is well
  6. Jittle

Jittle Member

Where do you buy oil of oregano?

I have seen a few more supplement in the catalog I want to try that say they boost your immune system ( I still have to look up extacly what ingredients they are, and if they can be taken with my meds), I just have to find the money to buy them.

Thanks for the info.
  7. Jittle

Jittle Member

FOr the Topamax I have 50mg a day (at bed time). There are a few problems with it though... it has some side effects (including being tired) that are not pleasant. Also, for me anyway, it depends on the brand I take. I take a generic, and the prescription company will not cover it unless I use the mail order pharamacy. BUT when I tried their brand I was dizzy and lightheaded ( I was totally out of it and hated it). I can only use the generic my local pharmacy sells.. for some reason there suppliers brand works.

As far as the coritsol test. What is that testing? What is coritsol.
    It's funny. I don't know what the test is for, but I have a kit in my closet that I am suppose to use to collect urine all day long so the doctor can test my cortisol. I just have to actually do the test already.

Also I wanted to say about your headaches.... Do you, or have you been to a chiropractor? Part of my headaches also come from my neck being straight as a arrow, and he is trying to correct it buy getting the natural curve back.
  8. sunflowergirl

sunflowergirl Active Member

that specializes in health foods, etc. I buy a small bottle.....it goes a looonnnng way since you only use 4 drops. I checked the prices at the market and it seems to have gone up. I know you can buy the capsules also....don't know about them though.

The cortisol test I had done, ordered from a naturpath doctor I saw a few years ago. But there is a company up in Oregon who you can also order it from without your doctor's orders. The test is reviewed by the company doctor on the results....very thorough. My doctor got this report and then copied it for me. I had my saliva tested (I believe it was 4 times during the day and evening) and also a drop of blood about 4 times a day.

There is a book by Dr. Wilson on Adrenal Fatigue. You might want to read up on this.
  9. neoplus1

neoplus1 Member

the base of my skull and neck. It comes around to the front of my forehead and face. I can feel it in my eyes and ears and what makes it worse is Ihave this ungodly pressur around my skull from it. I think it might be something like occipital neuralgia(look it up, it sounds like your problem too).

I also saw a chiropractor and not to scare you, bu he made it worse. I too have a straight neck and not that I am against chiopractors, but many treat everyone pretty much the same. There are ways to improve the neck and spine without constant adjustments for like 8 months. Just be cautious. There are things like posture exercises and gentle yoga which are really good. Some chiropractos use other means of helping besides adjustments such as devices and specific treatments that focus on thinks like the "atlas" bone which is the first bone in the spine.

Cortisol is a stress hormone bu whe it gets low, people can have lowered blood pressure, fatigue, dizziness, etc. Definitly get the test done because if it is low it can be corrected.
  10. Nanie46

Nanie46 Moderator

The fact that you feel better on antibiotics is a clue.

Please consider the fact that you could have one or more chronic infections causing your symptoms.

Many people here have discovered that they had tick-borne infections such as Borrelia burgdorferi (Lyme disease), Bartonella, Babesia, Ehrlichia, etc.

Please read the info in these links. There is lots of good info, symptom lists, etc.

Your symptoms sound so much like me and my daughter, and we both have Lyme and bartonella.

I have gotten much better with 3 years of treatment by a Lyme literate MD.

11. gb66

gb66 Well-Known Member

I was looking forward to working when I got sick too. I'd been home for years raising my four kids and had been hoping to go back to college. Right after I got sick I did to back part time and it took me 7 years to finish my 2 year degree.

I had to start and stop so many times due to fatigue and pain. I really thought I'd get better for a long time, if I just hung in. I worked full time, then part time and finally had to give it up.

I had been hoping that the last half of my life would be doing something I wanted to do, for me, but it didn't turn out that way. By the time my husband retired I was too ill for us to do anything enjoyable.

I too have been tired all my life. I never had a lot of stamina. I had mono at 17 and lots of other illnesses after that. One thing after another. Then, at age 38, CFS/FM hit and it's been slowly down hill.

I'm a little put out with my husband at the moment! He has a habit of doubting my chemical sensitivities at times and he used some kind of dusting cloth in the living room today with chemicals on it. I had asked him to use only water.

It has caused a burning itching rash on my back and some respiratory stuffiness. I'm glad to have his help with housework though.

I wish he'd take the allergies more seriously. They are REAL not imagined. MCS is awful sometimes. Allergic to pollen, flowers, chemicals, meds., soaps, paint, perfumes, glue and the list goes on.

Sorry to be so whiny tonight. Hope you feel much better real soon. GB66