Tired legs--help!

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by Jackie41, May 23, 2003.

1. Jackie41

Jackie41 Member

How many here experience excessive tiredness of their legs when walking for any distance? Ths has been bothering me for a year. Going grocery shopping is difficult and going to a mall will make my legs too tired to support me and I only weigh 120 pounds. I refuse to use a wheel chair and 29 seems too young for a walker (vanity!!!). I've tried canes but they're too wobbly. The only solution I've found is to use two forearm crutches whenever I go out. At first I may not really need them and I feel pretty silly but by the end of the day I'm glad to have them. Crutches may seem pretty extreme for fibro, but the only alternative is to stay at home. Does anyone else experience this? Has anyone found another solution? I've been on crutches for 8 months now ( and canes for 4 months before that) and I can't see any prospect of being able to get rid of them. I'm gradually becoming resigned to this but it's still a hard adjustment to make. Any suggestions or just encouragement are welcome.
  2. jka

jka New Member

i have problems with tired legs also.i have a hard time if i have to go do any shopping. at the grocery store i hang to the cart.i usually do just 1 or 2 stores at a time.then i have to come home and put my feet up for awhile. even doing things at home-i do alittle and then go rest.wish there was an answer for this one!

kathy c
  3. granmakitty12

granmakitty12 New Member

my legs get very tired and sore too. When shopping, the legs get tired, then the knees and feet start aching. Then the lower back will start hurting also. When I shop at Wal-
    mart or the grocery store, it helps to hang on to the cart
    and take some of the weight off my feet. I can do one or two stores too and that is it. Everyone have a good, long, restful weekend. granmakitty
  4. npack

npack New Member

I haven't been posting here very often, but I'm going to try and do it more. Just been busy with work. I am fine when I get up in the mornings, but late afternoon is the worst. I am 31 and just weigh 125, so I know it's not that. If I have to walk too much my legs definitely get weaker. I am trying to do strength exercises right now to see if they will work. That might be something for you to think about.
  5. PatPalmer

PatPalmer New Member

My daughter suffered badly with this for a long time, and reading your post has just reminded me she hasn`t complained of this since I put her on Olive Leaf Extract last november. - May just be a coincidence, who knows...

She was diagnosed with Mycoplasma Pneumoniae, and from reading Jellys posts I discovered that stealth bacteria like Mycoplasma can be a cause of hypercoagulation, & most CFS/FMers have one or several bacteria infections.

This means the blood is thicker and starved of oxygen, and maybe being upright for any length of time makes it harder for it to flow back up, - hence the awful ache.

I know to stand on the spot for 30 seconds was impossible for her at one time, it was easier if she kept moving, but even that was limited.

I could be totally wrong, but what do you think?

Love Pat.
  6. superQ

superQ New Member

This is my first time writing to your group. I was reading about your tired legs and I feel for you since I too go thru that pain but I feel the worst pain is on my arms muscles. I have days that I can not even wash my hair because I can not raise my arms so I lean my elbow on the wall and do the best I can like there are times thatI can't open a zip-lock bag. What I really want to know is this: have anyone out there been rushed to the hospital for what seemed to be a heart attack, or have felt a pain on your back that felt like a knife stab that paralises your whole body? How many of you have been raped? The reason is that I was diagnosed recently and after seeing all my symptoms the first thing the doctor asked was had I been molested as a child or raped and I saw her again today about that pain on my back that paralized me and she suspects I may also be epilectic. Those of you that have been ill with FMS for a while have exercises really helped or is this like a train going down hill. I ask because I am really scared and am planning to go to the Gym every day at my lunch hour. I have two jobs, work 65 hours a week and can't stop because my son (35) had a heart attack recently and I have to help him with his debts and medications. Also please tell me what do I have to look forward to....a wheel chair?

God Bless!
    SuperQ
  7. Tango2

Tango2 New Member

I have had the sharp stabbing pain right between the shoulder blades after a flu shot. I was stuck in the bath and couldn't move for a couple of hours. It was frightening!!! I was diagnosed with FM a few years ago but realize now that I have had symptoms for about 15 years now. I wonder if something in flu shots could cause a flair because I have had the same pain less severe each time I get one. I also have tired legs and arms, just hang in there and try to work less. I am quitting my job soon. Best of luck to all
  8. decatur

decatur New Member

Thanks to elavil/hashimotos I weigh 100 more than I should but even @ normal wt I hurt,i couldn't do my hair, etc; of course , everyone preaches to me about exercise now. I need that like I need a whole in the head, I'm a clinical nutritionist on paper.
  9. Jackie41

Jackie41 Member

Thanks for all your replies. I guess there's no easy answer, but in a way, using the crutches is an answer since they enable me to walk much farther with less pain and muscle weakness than I otherwise could. I just have to have the attitude that they're an aid that allows me to do more than I could without them. It helps too that I don't have to use them 100% of the time.

Hugs to all

Jackie