Tired of being tired!

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by corlando, Jul 10, 2003.

1. corlando

corlando New Member

I am looking for any help I can get. I am so tired all the time. Often I come home from work and sleep from 5pm-8 or 9pm. Sometimes I have to fight to stay awake at work. I tend to run low grade fevers in the afternoon (99-100.6) as well. This fatigue has been going on for about 3 years now, but I can tell it is getting worse. I am a 24 year old female who used to be active. I yawn all the time and I can barely force myself to work out anymore. I finally went to the doctor for help a few months ago. First, he did a battery of blood tests, all of which came out normal, including TSH for thyroid. Thinking that my fatigue was due to anxiety or depression, he put me on fluoxetine (prozac). I have been on it 3 months now, and it hasn't helped a bit with the fatigue. It helps how I deal with it...I don't get as upset and frustrated, but it is still there. I'm just trying to figure out what might be going on. About 3 years ago I had a somnoplasty done on my tonsils (it shrinks them) due to chronic tonsilitis from tonsil stones. I still get the stones, and can tell because my throat gets sore and my glands swell. I told this to my dr. and he didnt seem too interested. He didn't even look in my throat or feel my glands. Could this be causing my fatigue? Also, after being x-rayed by a chiropractor, I found that I have a reverse curve in my neck, causing my neck muscles to tighten. I often have neck pain and headaches...could this be causing the fatigue? Could it be hormonal? I had CMV about 5 years ago, could that have something to do with this? I feel like my dr. thinks I am just making all this up. I am so frustrated and don't know where to turn. Any ideas or suggestions would be much appreciated. Also, I am looking for a new doctor who is more open to treating fatigue. I live in the Joliet area in Illinois...anyone know of any good doctors who accept Hmo's? Thanks for your help!
  2. Gran9

Gran9 New Member

I understand exactly how you feel. I, too, have been "tired of being tired" for over 3 years, but you must not give up hope. You will get a lot of support and information on this message board if you will just take the time to read and research. The first thing to do is to find a good doctor. Just know that you are not alone!
  3. Shirl

Shirl New Member

Hi Colorado welcome to the board. I have FM, but it sounds like you have CFS, of course I am no doctor, but I think you need one that believes in these illnesses so they can help you.

We do have a 'Doctor Referral' link at the top of this page, the doctors are listed by states. Give it a try.

We have others here from your state, and I am sure they will be glad to help also.

Again, welcome to the board, and I hope you get some help soon, and let us know how you are doing.

Shalom, Shirl
  4. insomniac1

insomniac1 New Member

hi just want you to know your not alone. i am from wisconsin and my doctor is very good . she is open to anything you might bring to her. and she does except HMO. kris
  5. corlando

corlando New Member

Thanks for your response. Yes, I had cytolomegalovirus, my sophomore year of college. I had a 101 fever for 4 weeks, my liver enzymes were in the 900's, and my lymph nodes the size of ping pong balls. It took the doctors 2 weeks just to figure out what I had. They kept testing me for mono, but that kept coming up negative, so finally they did CMV and it was positive.

What sort of help and/or treatment is there for fatigue? I'm just so tired of having no energy. No matter how much sleep I get, whether its 6, 8, or 10 hours, I never feel well rested. It is at least nice to know that I am not alone.