Tired of The Meds!!!

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by BlueSky555, May 28, 2009.

1. BlueSky555

BlueSky555 New Member

I have had medical problems for years and have been on some kinds of medicines for several years now. My biggest problems seem to be fibro/cfs, facet joint syndrome in lumbar spine and not getting enough sleep.

I'm going to talk with my pain management dr. next month when I go for my regul office visit. He gives me meds for pain and also give me injections in my lower back every 3 months and so far after having 2 of them, I can really tell the difference in my pain. It has not gone completely away and I still can't sit for long periods of time and can't stand long either but I really think I can begin some kind of process to stop most or all of these meds.

Does anyone have any ideas of how I might start the conversation with my dr. or what kind of programs might be available? Most of the meds are just taper off and I'll be fine but there is one that concerns me; a pain med that I've been on for some time now and I'm sure I have a physical dependence on it.

Any advice, or ideas, would be greatly appreciated. I haven't been here much lately and now that i'm here, I've missed you all. Have a great afternoon,

2. 3gs

3gs New Member

Is there a reason you want to stop your meds?

Just tell your doc your concerns he should know how to taper you off the pain med. What kind of program are you wondering about?

There are meds to help with withdrawl.
  3. BlueSky555

BlueSky555 New Member

sorry it took so long to get back. The reason I want to stop the meds is because I have been on them at least 25 years; maybe a few more; not sure. I know they can't be good for my body. I was thinking maybe rehab or something bu if there are meds I can take, then that would be great.

As for a med for withdrawel symptoms, that will probably be what I need. I am not addicted to them but I am physically dependent on the methadone that I take for pain. I was taking oxycodone for breakthrough pain but I just stopped taking those; no problem. However, the methadone will be different, I'm sure.

Jamin, I'm happy for you that you don't have to take the meds. I do remember you from here, several years ago. I finally received my SSDI in Sept. 08, after about 3 1/2 years.

Thank you both for the information; I wouldn't mind staying on them but it's been so long now and I want to be as healthy as possible for my situation.

Have a wonderful day,

4. 3gs

3gs New Member

I was only on that a very short time. Alot of people on here talked about going off it-know it was very slow and difficult. See if you can get search to work.

understand wanting to get off of meds. I have tried in past-not fun and ended up back on them. Worry about the tylenol part. I even went so far as to let a quack burn the nerves in my spine didnt work.

just let your doc know why.
  5. herbqueen

herbqueen New Member

Make sure you follow a low inflammation /anti candida diet-i.e. no sugar, no gluten, no milk-lots of veggies, meats, fish, brown rice,quinoa, millet etc. Juicing mabe worth a try.

You should also have your self tested for food sensitivities/candida. Great Plains Labs does this type of testing.