Tired, shaky, weak legs...help!

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia and ME & Chronic Fatigue Syndrome' started by meowchowchow, Jun 8, 2004.

1. meowchowchow

meowchowchow New Member

My legs (and arms for that matter) are SO tired. It looks normal when I walk but feels so wierd. Kind of like spaghetti if that makes sense. I know it's just this DD but I always start thinking, what if it's not? What if it's some crazy degenerative muscle disorder, blah blah blah. I'm such a worrywart. Does anyone else have this?
  2. MsE

MsE New Member

This happens to me every now and then. My legs turn into spaghetti and I have to sit down. Right now!

At other times my legs feel as though I am walking on one of those plastic blow-up floats (can't remember the word. It's gone. Brain fogged.) on a lake.

And yes, my arms get that way, too. Suddenly weak, like all the energy drained out through the ends of my fingers. This happened one time when I was holding my two-year-old grandson. I had to put him down on the floor, fast, so I wouldn't drop him.

The only difference is that I can't walk normally when this happens. I get too weak to walk.

Finally, yes, I worry about degenerative diseases. We have MS in the family (my sis has it and we think my mom had it at one time), so that's my major concern when this happens.
  3. jadibeler

jadibeler New Member

I have suffered with this all my life. It was my first symptom as a child, really. Since I've been following several of the protocols I learned here I am much improved but if I overdo it (which I do all the time now) my legs get very tired, pain comes almost immediately when I walk and I start staggering, sometimes my legs just buckle. For the last few days I've felt fine and want to get things done but the pain in my legs is preventing me from being on my feet much.

I know what you mean about worrying it's something else. I did that for years until I found this board and learned that FM really can be this bad and much worse than I've ever been.

JoAnn
  4. moxiepup

moxiepup New Member

Yes this has been happening to me for about 1 mo. now was dx in March. My Rheumy gave me Zanaflex, which of course does not help at all, it kind of starts in my feet and goes to my thighs and that's where it stays...it's a
    awful..take care..gail

It was so funny you called it spaghetti legs cause that's exactly what I told the Dr. today, but he just blew me off!
  5. Lynnie59

Lynnie59 New Member

I have found this to be true with the Fibro, but also can be caused by weak adrenals. You can have them checked with a saliva test called Adrenal Stress Index, a take home test kit, collect samples in a 24hr period, send out in mail for results.

This test is found in holistic doctor offices only, so find a good doctor in your area..

This is common with Fibro, and with thyroid problems, which I also have. if you can build up the adrenals you will feel stronger for sure! there are things that can be done to balance them if they need help.

take care,
    Lynn
  6. meowchowchow

meowchowchow New Member

Thanks for all the words and suggestions. Today I'm feeling so spaghetty like its not even funny. I'm so tired of it.
  7. redwing074

redwing074 New Member

I get that too. And my arms get it really bad. It was all I could do to hold a pen to write my doctor a check on Monday. My handwriting is unreconizable to me sometimes. When it starts in the legs, I have to hit the deck quick on my own, or I'll go down the hard way.
  8. Adl123

Adl123 New Member

I just went to the neurologist yeaterday. After many little tests, he said that he thinks that the opening inside my spinal veertebrae has narrowed and pressure is being put on the nerves. He said that the nervs that control leg movemeht go through the spinal chord and are on the outside of it, therefore closer to the bone than other nerves.

Maybe this is what is wrong with you. The way to find ut is to get an MRI of the upper sping (neck). I don't have th slightest idea what the treatmeht would be .

I hope this helps. I know it is worrysome not knowing what causes each symptom, and having to call everything Fibro.

Good luck and big hugs,
    Terry
  9. rimrider

rimrider New Member

I am new here and cannot believe what I am reading. I have just had an MRI and a trip to the Neurologist. I have bony overgrowths on the cervical vertebra causing weak legs. What
    sent me to the doctor to get checked out was that I was staggering around when on uneven ground when I started gardening this spring. The compression on my spinal cord is considered moderate but it looked pretty bad to me. I have also lost not just strength but muscle mass over the last couple of years.

I also have a trapped ulnar nerve in my elbow that showed up with the EMR? testing. The neurologist said this could not be related to fibro. Anybody experience this?

I am so glad I found this site!
  10. kellygirl

kellygirl Member

I have had this disorder about 20 yrs, I don't even know anymore. When I first became sick and did not know what was wrong, I kept ignoring it all until I was in the middle of the mall one day and my legs just wouldn't go. I willed myself to a seat. I never even gave walking a second thought. Today, I still have this symptom. It does feel like the brain and the legs aren't connecting. Most days it's ok when I go to a store and others, I will use a cart to hold onto and the legs are weak. For people that do not have this, they do not understand when I try to explain. My doctor feels it's the virus kicking in when this happens. I have flares.
  11. darude

darude New Member

12. darude

darude New Member

13. DFL

DFL New Member

I use to love to shop but I can very walk long enough to get my groceries, and my arms get so weak when I use them also,
  14. DFL

DFL New Member

I use to love to shop but I can very walk long enough to get my groceries, and my arms get so weak when I use them also,
  15. tinalinn70

tinalinn70 New Member

I have an apt with a neuro,but not for another month or so. I get that weak feeling like someone pulled a plug at my heels and all my energy feels like it just drains out. Then If I keep walking I feel shaky- mostly inside- I don't think people can really tell on the outside. Sometimes when I really push it though my husband has seen my hands get all shaky when I'm overdoing preparing food in the kitchen. I didn't know if it was part of the fibro/fatigue or if I was getting essential tremor??? Seems like all we do is pay $$$$ and have tests and they usually can't ever tell us any more than when we walked into the door.
    I got to go, can't type anymore my left arm is just burning in strips because I tried to crochet a little more earlier today :-(.

Tina
  16. tinalinn70

tinalinn70 New Member

I have an apt with a neuro,but not for another month or so. I get that weak feeling like someone pulled a plug at my heels and all my energy feels like it just drains out. Then If I keep walking I feel shaky- mostly inside- I don't think people can really tell on the outside. Sometimes when I really push it though my husband has seen my hands get all shaky when I'm overdoing preparing food in the kitchen. I didn't know if it was part of the fibro/fatigue or if I was getting essential tremor??? Seems like all we do is pay $$$$ and have tests and they usually can't ever tell us any more than when we walked into the door.
    I got to go, can't type anymore my left arm is just burning in strips because I tried to crochet a little more earlier today :-(.

Tina
  17. nancyneptune

nancyneptune New Member

getting the spaghetti legs, and I've had Fibro for 10 years. I get my left leg collapsing on me, more than the right, but they both turn to jelly and I think I do wobble noticeably.

Also, I have to go up and down stairs one at a time sideways now, like a little kid, if I try doing it normal I'm liable to fall down them.
    This DD is such an arse pain.
    AND my wretched internist just told me the other day that he doesn't believe in Fibro, like it's UFO's or ghosts, that he has to "believe" in. God I hate doctors.
  18. nancyneptune

nancyneptune New Member

getting the spaghetti legs, and I've had Fibro for 10 years. I get my left leg collapsing on me, more than the right, but they both turn to jelly and I think I do wobble noticeably.

Also, I have to go up and down stairs one at a time sideways now, like a little kid, if I try doing it normal I'm liable to fall down them.
    This DD is such an arse pain.
    AND my wretched internist just told me the other day that he doesn't believe in Fibro, like it's UFO's or ghosts, that he has to "believe" in. God I hate doctors.
  19. meowchowchow

meowchowchow New Member

That's exactly what it feels like! Shakiness inside! No one else can see it unless they're looking really hard. It could come from stirring something really hard in the kitchen or changing a really heavy load of wet towels into the dryer. Wow am I sick of this.
  20. meowchowchow

meowchowchow New Member

That's exactly what it feels like! Shakiness inside! No one else can see it unless they're looking really hard. It could come from stirring something really hard in the kitchen or changing a really heavy load of wet towels into the dryer. Wow am I sick of this.