Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by HeavenlyRN, Aug 31, 2010.

1. HeavenlyRN

HeavenlyRN New Member

Has anyone used this for FM? I did a search but most of the posts are 3-4 years old. Just thought I'd try to get some more recent answers.

My husband works with a woman who whose daughter has FM. She said her daughter had "been in bed" for 3 years. But, she is now taking Tizanadine, and doing acupuncture, and she has had a big improvement.

2. justjanelle

justjanelle New Member

Tizanidine is the generic name of Zanaflex, a muscle relaxer. I've been taking it for my FM for about 9 years now. I've found it to be helpful in relaxing the muscle spasms that are a huge problem for me. It also causes drowsiness, so in that way it also helps with sleep if taken before bedtime.

As far as dosing goes, I'm told by my rheumatologist that maximum dose is 8mg. 3 times a day. I've had relief at a much lower dose. I usually try to take smaller amounts during the day (partly because of the drowsiness factor, and partly because my pain/muscle spasms get worse as the day goes on -- so I don't feel I need as much earlier in the day) and then i take a slightly larger amount in the evening.

I hope this helps!

Best wishes,
  3. heapsreal

heapsreal New Member

i have used tizanidine, it helped with sleep but i think most muscle relaxer do, if taking through the day probably going to make u groggy, but improving sleep can help alot with muscle pain. i have found baclofen quite good also, but i would only take this at night as a sleep aid. i think using baclofen for sleep will help improve your sleep quality and u wont feel as sore the next day.