TMJ and throat pain

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by ssMarilyn, Jan 29, 2003.

1. ssMarilyn

ssMarilyn New Member

I have TMJ...I guess that's what it is anyway. I have constant pain in my right jaw joint, and can hear it crunching when I move it a certain way. I cannot eat anything chewy, such as steak or sour dough bread, raw carrots, etc.... On occasion, it feels like the jaw problem is even affecting my throat and causing pain in the throat area right next to the jaw joint. Does anyone else have this problem? I've seen a doctor about it and he said there wasn't anything that can be done. Is this a degenerative condition that never gets better?

Marilyn (no smiley tonight)
  2. teach6

teach6 New Member

I have to disagree with your doc on this one. TMJ can come as a result of FM and it can be helped. I don't recall exactly which med it was, but I'd say either Klonopin or Flexeril, improved mine so I can eat carrots or other crunchy foods on occasion now.

TMJ can also make your ears feel plugged and I believe it sometimes seemed like it caused a sore throat, but not positive on that.

Barbara
  3. dlizard

dlizard New Member

I don't know anything to make it better but I have both of these symptoms and* trigeminal neuraligia..... not much has made mine better except just time! Good luck!
  4. ssMarilyn

ssMarilyn New Member

I won't take any drugs, so guess that remedy is out of the question for me.

Lizard, I just figured my jaw problem would just get worse and worse. From the crunching sound and feel, something isn't hitting right and is being worn down. Can it really get better??

Marilyn :)
  5. VickyB

VickyB New Member

I have tried the splints that the dentist gives you and they made my TMJ worse!! But they may help you. Neurotin helps with my TMJ - I also have throat and neck pain and ear pain plus my jaw actually pops out when I open my mouth wide (you can see it pop out when I open my mouth - gross) I went to have braces but too painful!!! My ears also pop everytime I open my mouth wide along with my jaw.
    Check about getting Neurotin before going through all the expense that I did!!
    Good luck, Vicky
    PS No amount of pain medicine has helped with this condition for me!! Only made rebound pain much worse.