TmJ battle and Unhealthy Hair

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by Jewelz, Oct 21, 2002.

1. Jewelz

Jewelz New Member

I have been battling tmj for the past year and half. I used to take motrin to help with the jaw pain (my miracle med for tmj).. Now that I have to be super careful of not hardly taking any meds until my liver stuff is over.. What advice could be useful in the pain area..?? My jaw/ear area gets so tender and painful that it brings tears to my eyes. I can literally get tears by pulling on my ear!! I seen where tmj is very common in fibro patients, and would like to know what you all do to help keep the pain down naturally without meds.

Also, would like to know do any of you have problems with your hair looking unhealthy?

Thanks a Million..

--Huggies--

Misty
  2. Jewelz

Jewelz New Member

I have been battling tmj for the past year and half. I used to take motrin to help with the jaw pain (my miracle med for tmj).. Now that I have to be super careful of not hardly taking any meds until my liver stuff is over.. What advice could be useful in the pain area..?? My jaw/ear area gets so tender and painful that it brings tears to my eyes. I can literally get tears by pulling on my ear!! I seen where tmj is very common in fibro patients, and would like to know what you all do to help keep the pain down naturally without meds.

Also, would like to know do any of you have problems with your hair looking unhealthy?

Thanks a Million..

--Huggies--

Misty
  3. Shirl

Shirl New Member

I don't have TMJ, but just wanted to tell you I understand how bad pain can be.

As for my hair, so far its doing just fine. I have been using a vinegar rinse after shampooing for half my life, also I wash it with a liquid 'Pure-Castile Soap, I don't know if this is what keeps it healthy or not, but I don't use all those new shampoos and rinses in it. My hair is almost below my waist, and is healthy.

About once a month I use a hot oil treatment, pure olive oil warmed, with a hot towel wrapped around it for about a half hour. I rarely have dead ends either.

Hope this is of some help, and I am sure others can answer your other questions.

Have a goodevening.

Shalom, Shirl
  4. mistyb

mistyb New Member

Hey Misty, from another Misty. I have never really met another with my name. Anyway, since I have been on Pamelor, my hair seems much thinner and harder to make look good. I started using my kids shampoo, which is just a gentle mix, and it does seem a little better. good luck

misty
  5. cupimick

cupimick Member

I too, no longer have the hair I used to have, I have noticed in the past few years it just does not seem to grow past a certain length, I have trims , I condition it and I just can't figure out what has happened especially the texture is not the same and my hair was much thicker than it is now, I really think all the meds I have been taking are taking a toll on my hair and other parts of my body but until there is a cure for my painful disease , I continue to take them to function. All I can say it keep conditioning your hair and ,maybe try vitamins. They sell vitamins specifically for hair. I actually tried them at the GNC store but didn't notice any improvement.

Take care,

Deanna
    [This Message was Edited on 10/21/2002]
  6. teach6

teach6 New Member

I was having a big problem with TMJ until my doc put me on Klonopin. It helped with TMJ, sleep and RLS. Can't ask for more than that!

As for the hair. Last spring I was having the same problem. My doctor told me it was because I was so ill before I finally was dx'd that my hair lost its luster and shine. I used that as a good excuse to get highlights, which I had avoided for years because I always like my own color better. When I couldn't say that any more I decided it was worth a try. I love my new look and probably won't go back again!

Barbara
  7. Annette2

Annette2 New Member

My hair started getting thin and unhealthy when I hit menopause. Once I started hormones it went back to normal. You might also want to look at your diet - sometimes lack of certain nutrients can affect your hair.
  8. JaciBart

JaciBart Member

I was wondering what was up with my hair up until a few weeks ago, I started really drinking the water. I have never been a big water drinker but I am now used to it, when I quit aspartame I had to find something else, my hair is healthier right now that it probably has ever been, I am convinced the water is the cause. I probably drink 10 big glasses a day, I put a little lemon juice in it, also my face is looking about 10 yrs younger, I swear, I was looking at myself in the mirror today & noticed I am not as bloated, I have better color, I look alive again.

I don't necessarily feel that way, I just look it.

Also, today at the doc I am 7 lbs less than a wk & half ago. Just trying to be careful what I eat & lots of water.

Jaci
  9. allhart

allhart New Member

i took naproxin for the tmj also the tmj spealist said he wanted to give me vioxx dont know if there ok with the liver though ask your dr,i havent found anything natuall yet for that,my jaws realy bad to cant hardley eat or talk my ear gets that way to you might want to see a tmj speacilist a mouth gaurd might help
    kara
  10. Jewelz

Jewelz New Member

Ill get periods where I can wash my hair and within 3 hours its so oily that I could swear I could possibly supply the oil company.. but 1/2 way down my hair is excessively dried out. This is so frustrating!! This even happens to my face, I have to constantly wash my face at least 5-6 times a day..(oily).. I have never been the one for oily skin but since I started getting sick my skin has been horrible..

I got one girl that comes to my house every so often she told me to wait every 3-4 days to wash it.. but if I do that my gawd I couldnt imagin how humiliating it would look.

The ends where its super dry looks seriously dead. I get split ends so bad.. I will try vinager rinse and see if that helps out (Shirl). I got my thyroid checked but nothing abnormal came back. I heard alot of women talk about this with seriously over oiled hair..

Regards,

Misty

--Mistyb.. I dont met many with my name either =) Glad to met ya.. I have tried my kids shampoo but, it makes it so tangly and dried out.. =(--

**My hair was never the same after I put sun-in in it.. I lost all my hair from that product..**
  11. latracy

latracy New Member

I use an ice pack and place it directly on my jaw and ear. It hurts at first, but in 2 - 5 minutes, it helps relieves the pain. I tried heat, but ice works better. I haven't found any medication or treatments to stop the pain, and I notice that I get TMJ when I am very stressed. My hair also gets dull when I am very ill. I am just getting my shine back after a recent illness. I think that it was the rest and vitamin that helped. I took my first extented sick leave from work. I felt that my body was telling me that I needed to slow down. Hope you feel better soon.
  12. ssMarilyn

ssMarilyn New Member

My doctor told me to put the heating pad on my jaw. I tried it and within minutes the pain was almost nil! Also, try not to move your jaw much.

Marilyn :)