TMJ getting worse

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by granmama, May 26, 2003.

1. granmama

granmama New Member

Jaw pain is worse. Today, I can only open mouth wide enough to slide fork of soft food in to eat. It's getting really hard to brush teeth now too.
    I do grit at night, but haven't yet bought a bite guard.
    I've started getting headaches and use the heat pad to help the pain and massage the jaw + darvocet.
    Why is TMJ associated particulary with FM?
    Any other suggestions?
    thanks,
    granmama
  2. tansy

tansy New Member

I got into a real mess with my jaw. Didn't grind my teeth at night but strain of holding my neck up (always tell people this is due to having such a big brain!!!!)set it off.

Dentist made me a bite guard. Hated it at first, had to wear it night and day, then just at night.

It did the job for me. Now when the problem starts up, which doesn't happen very often these days, I just use my bite guard for a short time. It sorts it out pretty quickly.

It's worth considering, it's safe, and it's so great to get rid of even just one source of pain.

Cheers

Tansy
    [This Message was Edited on 05/26/2003]
  3. Plantscaper

Plantscaper New Member

I used to have a lot of clicking and popping sounds whenever I chewed my food, which the dentists indicated was associated with TMJ, and that has disappeared since I have been on Zanaflex (A muscle relaxant)..don't have it as bad as you, but might work for you...I did have a lot of jaw pain and some headaches seemed triggered from TMJ...

That must be miserable, hope you find some good solutions,
    ~~Amelia~~
  4. Gran9

Gran9 New Member

I also had severe jaw pain and even had a minor surgical procedure on it. I slept with the bite guard for weeks afterward. Now if I get really stressed I notice the pain coming back and immediately start using the guard again for a night or two. That takes care of it. You might want to go on and get the guard; it will be worth it, I think.
  5. teach6

teach6 New Member

I used to have really bad TMJ. When I stared on Klonopin it eased that as well as my Restless Legs Syndrome and also helped me sleep better. Kind of a three for one deal!

A couple of weeks ago I accidentally missed taking part of my nighttime meds, including my Klonopin and when I woke up my jaw was clenched and I had been tossing and turning for hours. I won't do that again.

Barbara
  6. granmama

granmama New Member

....but, if it is related to Fibro, could primary doc possibly give me a referral to dentist to determine pain source and treatment and medical ins. cover it? Just curious.

Last dentist said a bite guard would cost about $350 and to first try one OTC. Has anyone tried those?

I use to could open my mouth as to yawn and stretch it to one side and get the mouth alignment in position, but now, can't open mouth wide enough to even do that.
    Oh, at one time, I did take Soma, but was not having TMJ problems at that time. BTW, Soma was a dud!

thanks for your suggestions and experiences,
    granmama