TMJ nerve pain in ear excruciating

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by gramaT, May 16, 2006.

1. gramaT

gramaT New Member

Hey guys, just an update on my TMJ pain etc.

Its been horrible, but I went yesterday to get a jaw massage. She did a good job,she pressed so hard it nearly killed me and I almost cried, but afterword, it felt really good until bedtime. I took my 10mg oxy and Trazadone to sleep and slept pretty well. Today I was pretty good until I ate an egg and toast and then the nerve pain in my ear and jaw and mouth was so bad I could hardly stand it. After about 30 min it got better. I just need to not eat today (at least not chew) and see if it is better tomorrow.

thanks for all the help and suggestions. I may see a Dentist or a Chiro next.

Blessings,
    Carolyn
  2. tngirl

tngirl New Member

I have tmj also. I ended up getting a bite guard from a dentist. I still wake myself up with the teeth clenched but somehow it still has relieved my symptoms considerably.

Moist heat helps me.

Have you tried any muscle relaxers? They help sometimes.

hope you feel better soon.
  3. gramaT

gramaT New Member

Thanks for the reply.
    I'll try the moist heat. so far, if I don't eat its much better. I can stand to lose a few pounds anyway.

I will try the dentist.

Blessings,
    Carolyn
  4. Aeronsmom

Aeronsmom New Member

I have TMJ too and for the past couple of days it has been almost unbareable, but the thing for me is I have no pain meds YET for this probelm so I am soooo suffering. I have only been eating lowfat soups for the time being so that I don't have to chew, I am sorry you are feeling this way hopefully we get some relief soon.

Ann
  5. mme_curie68

mme_curie68 New Member

Are you sure it's TMJ alone?

I had pain like that and it turns out that I had clenched my jaw so badly while sleeping that I actually FRACTURED a molar, well below the gumline.

I lived with the discomfort for almost 2 years before going to see an endodontist. It was so bad and so deep that I needed a full root canal.

A root canal with FM stinks, because it took me about 3 times the normal amount of novacaine and about a week longer with the pain meds, BUT - since I've gotten my permanent crown installed - NO MORE PAIN! Nothing!

I was kicking myself after it was all said and done for waiting so long to get it taken care of.

Please go see a dentist. Don't wait.

Hugs,
    Madame Curie