TMJ What Helps?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by SusanEU, Jun 17, 2006.

1. SusanEU

SusanEU New Member

My TMJ is really acting acting up.

Anyone have any suggestions to ease the symptoms. I can't afford to have an appliance made from the dentist.

Thanks,

Sue in Ontario
  2. texasmaia

texasmaia New Member

I am so with you on this one! Mine has been the worst it's ever been.

I had an appliance made about 5 years ago. Made a huge difference for about six months and then all of a sudden my jaw and mouth locked up as if the appliance is in there.

Now, that is what it does, like the splint is in my mouth, it is locked up tight as a drum. Makes the rest of me hurt worse than ever.
    Maia
  3. kellyamos

kellyamos New Member

I am sorry to hear of your TMJ problems. I too have had this problem that started about 2 years ago. I had severe pain in the jaws and also had severe headaches that sent me to the ER many times. The pain got worse and worse as time went by. Unfortunately there are very few dentists in the U.S. that really know how to treat TMJ disorders. My brother is a dentist and specializes in TMJ disorders, but unfortunately he lives in Minnesota and I live in Phoenix. He learned about the proper treatment of TMJ disorders from attending extensive training in Florida founded by a man named Peter Dawson.

My brother contacted this center to find a dentist in the Phoenix area that attended this training also. There were 2 dentists and I went to one. I recommend you do the same. The website is: www.dawsoncenter.com.

After and MRI and CT scan of my jaws, it was discovered that the disc in my jaw kept dislocating every time I opened my mouth. This was due to my bite being way off. He then sent me to an orthodontist that specializes in occusal disorders. My first appointment was in October, 2005 and he made a hard splint for me to wear 24/7. These splints help to retrain the muscles in the face that got so out of whack because of my bite being way off. I have to go see this ortho every 3 - 4 weeks and he files it down a bit each time. Then after about 6 or 7 months the ortho will take impressions again and mount them to determine what needs to be done with the teeth to correct this problem. It may be only filing some of the teeth down to even the bite. If that can't correct the problem, then you might need a crown or 2, and if that won't work then maybe braces.

On my next appointment in 2 weeks, he will do the impressions to see what needs to be done. It is a long and VERY expensive process but it has worked for me so far. I have absolutely no pain at all in my jaws and I haven't had a migraine in 6 months. I know how difficult it is to pay for alll of this, but it has given me my life back. Here is a list of the costs so far I have paid for this treatment:

The first dentist I saw that took the impressions and did all of the measurements of my mouth was $2,500.00. Then the MRI was $450.00. And the CT Scan was $400.00.

Then the splint treatment with the orthodontist costs me $3,200.00. So sine the summer of 2005, I have paid $6,550.00 and am still not done. Once I find out what we need to do to finally correct the bit problem, there will be another few thousand to pay.

I know this amount of money is astounding but it was a must for me. If not treat properly, TMJ disorders will contine to get worse. They don't just go away on their own. And it is CRITICAL to find the proper dentist that studied with the Dawson center. Many dentists claim they know how to treat it, but they know the bare minimum on treatment and you will be wasting your money.

If you happen to live in the Minneapolis, Minnesota area, I could give you my brother's name and number, however if you live anywhere else, PLEASE contact the Dawson Center in Florida from the website I gave you to find a dentist in your area that studied there. There is one thing you can do to help your pain in the meatime. Use a heat pad on your jaw for about 15 minutes or so and then massage the jaw muscles. Do this as often as you can througout the day.

I wish you the best and good luck.
    [This Message was Edited on 08/19/2006]
  4. granny1353

granny1353 New Member

I take 600 mg. of motrin 3 x a day, it takes about five days to see any improvement, but it helps take the inflamation down.

Granny
  5. wildflowers2

wildflowers2 New Member

THey have them in the drug store for $25.00

called The DOctor's NightGuard

I found that out after I spent 300.00 for one.

It eases the pains in the jaw, neck amd shoulders.

And during the day I wear it too as When I get irratated

I grit my teeth.

wal mart, rite aid,cvs carry them

and if they dont fit you can get a new one that does.

6. spmary

spmary New Member

HI Sue..A dentist told me many years ago to take a square of gauze bandage and fold it several times and place it between your front teeth and gently bite down on it( not hard, just gently). Worked for me! Good luck, Mary
  7. IlivetocantoronXena

IlivetocantoronXena New Member

Another idea for you.

on the days with the tmj being bad. You could lay down and put a pencil in between your teeth and bite down lighty on it. This is because the jaw is at rest when the teeth are apart. When the teeth are together it is effecting your TJM teeth apart is the rest postions for the jaw.
    Best of luck,
    Michellle
  8. jake123

jake123 New Member

1. Maybe some chiropractic adjustments
    2. Maybe some anti-inflammatory like Advil, Mobic, etc.
    3. Maybe some massage inside and out.
    4. Do not chew gum.
    5. Do not eat anything chewy like sourdough bread, meat, etc. This is a good time for soups and baked potatoes.
    6. Heating pad on low for about 30 minutes on each side.
    7. Save your money to get an appliance, a thin one that will allow you to wear it and talk at the same time. I have one and I wear it 24/7 because I am a clencher and grinder.

Hope this helps
  9. SusanEU

SusanEU New Member

Thanks for all the suggestions. I thought this post was long buried and forgotten.

I will try definitely try your ideas.

I do make a conscious effort to relax my jaw and keep my teeth slightly apart and that does help some. I was eating a lot of crunchy foods - carrots,apples - maybe that was making it worse, so I'll stick to the soft stuff for a while.

Once again thanks, you guys are awesome!

Sue in Ontario