TMJ

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by mshonda400ex, Jan 18, 2007.

1. mshonda400ex

mshonda400ex New Member

Does anyone have this? If so what is your experience. I cant open my mouth at all and I have this tremendous jaw and under the ear pain, which in turn is causing a migraine. Thanks for the info
  2. Chelz

Chelz New Member

TMJ along with migrains was my first diagnosis then came FM, IBS, myofascial pain.

I had to be referred to a maxilofacial surgeon by my neurologist at the time.

The surgeon fitted me with a mouth piece which did help, but I was also on Elavil for migrains and the Elavil only increased my teeth grinding at night so I went off of it.

I also have a hard time opening my mouth along with ear, face, neck and shoulder pain. I find that using a hot compress alternating with a cold compress has helped me. I do not currently wear a mough piece because my insurance will not pay for it and I have limited funds as it is.

Instead I did a lot of research on the net and have found some exercises to do when it flares up. One of these exercises is to slightly open your mouth and just let your jaw hang, it's kind of hard to describe in words, but it has helped.

Also, the most obvious thing is to NEVER get something hard and chewy, even if your jaw it not hurting that bad at the moment, because if you do, you risk a nasty flare up with a possible migraine to go with it.

I should be wearing a splint for my mouth, but if carefully watch my chewing habits, I can prevent it from becoming really bad, although there is always a slight bit of pain.

Another interesting thing, sugar can really flare up TMJ, I don't quite know or understand why, but it does. It could have something to do with the fact that sugar increases inflammation in our systmes, and that in turn causes more pain.

I know it's frustrating, so if you can find a dentist within your budget maybe they can fit you with a reasonably priced splint. Hugs to you, Chelz.