TO ABBYLEE - PLEASE READ AND REPLY! THANKS!

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by BxGirl, Sep 3, 2005.

1. BxGirl

BxGirl New Member

Regarding your response to me in my post about my sleep study:

You mentioned that if I dreamt during the test that I have narcolepsy. Is that true? I'm qoting you here:

"I think if you go into REM within 5 minutes of "going to sleep," then you have Narcolepsy. (Please don't quote me on that, but I think it's correct.)"

"You were probably tested for alpha intrusion during the night as well."

As far as the first part goes, I DID dream each time I slept. They had me sleep for only 20 minutes during each test. After each test they asked me how long did I think it took me to fall asleep? I think it took me about 5 minutes each time. Then they asked me if I dreamt each time. I said yes, I did dream. I still remember the dreams I had. Why does that mean I have narcolepsy?

The second thing you talked about was alpha intrustion. What is that and what does that mean?

Thanks!!!!

BxGirl
  2. BxGirl

BxGirl New Member

Bumping for Abbylee
  3. abbylee

abbylee New Member

I hope you didn't misunderstand what I meant (sometimes I am not clear.) If you were at the sleep clinic during the day and were asked to go to sleep every 2 hours or so then they were testing you for Narcolepsy.

That doesn't mean that you have Narcolepsy. That means that they were testing you for it. There may be other tests for Narcolepsy that they did on you, too, but one of the tests for Narcolepsy is to have the patient go to sleep every 2 hours or so for short periods of time to see if they go into REM (dreaming) within 5 minutes.

Alpha intrusion happens in delta sleep. Delta sleep is stage 4 sleep (deep restorative sleep). Many Fibromyalgia patients have an associated sleep disorder which prevents them from getting deep, restful, restorative sleep.

Medical researchers have documented specific and distinctive abnormalities in the stage 4 deep sleep of FM patients. During sleep, individuals with FM are constantly interrupted by bursts of awake-like brain activity, limiting the amount of time they spend in deep sleep.

Below is information about the various sleep stages:

Research has identified five distinct stages of sleep. During the course of an eight hour sleep period, a person should cycle through the various sleep stages every 90 minutes or so.

Stage 1 sleep is a transition period between wakefulness and sleep. Sometimes you may have a sudden dream onset. You may still be connected to the awakened world and could easily be aroused into wakefulness.

From Stage 1, you will descend into Stage 2 where your breathing and heart rate will begin to slow down. During the continuous sleep cycles throughout the night, you should spend almost half your sleep time in Stage 2.

Next comes Stage 3 and 4, which are somewhat similar. This is sometimes referred to as Delta Sleep because of the slow delta brain waves which have been recorded during this sleep stage.

Delta sleep is a regenerative period where your body heals and repairs itself. Sometimes during illness, your body may fall immediately into Delta sleep because infection fighting antibodies are produced in greater numbers in this sleep stage.

The first episode of Stage 3 and 4 sleep lasts from 45-90 minutes. Progressive episodes of Delta Sleep have shorter and shorter time periods as the night goes on. After several complete sleep cycles earlier in the night, your body does not re-enter stages 3 and 4 any longer, but enters the 5th Stage also called REM (rapid eye movement)

Stage 5 is also called REM or "rapid eye movement". It is during REM periods that we dream. Your body creates chemicals that make you temporarily paralyzed. Your mind is extremely active, and your eyes are moving as if you were awake.

In REM, your heart and breathing rate increases and becomes irregular. Your eyes move from side to side.

As the end of your sleep period approaches, your body temperature begins to rise. Your breathing and heart rate normalizes. You may awake suddenly, perhaps remembering a dream, as you have just ended a REM period.

Hope this helps. If you have any other questions, please ask. I'll try to get the information for you if I can.

abbylee
  4. BxGirl

BxGirl New Member

Thanks for the great information about sleep stages!

Yes, I know I was being tested for Narcolepsy. Had they thought I had sleep apnea during the night, they would have sent me home in the morning. But I didn't display any sleep apnea, so I stayed.

I had never heard of Alpha-Intrusion until you wrote about it in your reply to me. Now I understand. I wouldn't be surprised if that is what I have. During each test, I fell asleep within 5 minutes and was dreaming each time. I can still remember each dream. I'm just waiting now for the doctor's report. It'll be interesting to see what he says. I'll let you know as soon as I find out!

By the way, do you have a sleep disorder? If so, what is it and how is it being treated?

Love,
    BxGirl
  5. abbylee

abbylee New Member

I have alpha wave intrusion. If you have that, it would have shown up during the night when you were also being tested for sleep apnea.

Remember, alpha wave intrusion happens in delta (stage 4 - deep, restorative) sleep.

Narcolepsy happens in REM (dreaming) sleep.

Just before I went to bed for my sleep study, the tech told me that if I had sleep apnea they would wake me and put a mask on me. They didn't wake me.

So during the night I didn't have apnea but I did have alpha intrusion.

Alpha wave intrusion is treated with Xyrem.

abbylee

Alpha wave intrusion and Narcolepsy have some of the same symptoms, but are very different sleep disorders.
  6. BxGirl

BxGirl New Member

I wasn't given the C-PAP machine - I don't have sleep apnea. I won't find out the results until I see the doctor.

Did the technician tell you that you had alpha intrusion? My tech wouldn't tell me anything!

BxGirl
  7. abbylee

abbylee New Member

I wasn't given the c-pap. The tech wouldn't tell me anything either, but I didn't ask but one or two questions.

At the time of my sleep study, I had been having a problem with my right thumb. I needed surgery for trigger thumb, and I asked the tech if he noticed me doing anything to my thumb while I slept, because it was in so much pain in the morning, I felt that I must be doing something to it during the night.

According to the tech I hardly moved all night, and he didn't see me doing anything that would cause a problem with my thumb. Nonetheless, I could hardly move it when I woke up and I ended up having to have surgery on it.
  8. BxGirl

BxGirl New Member

I hope your thumb is okay now.

I slept "so well" last night and it's almost 10 a.m. and I'm exhausted! It's weird how you THINK you slept well, yet a few hours later you're exhausted! I can't take this!

I KNOW something is wrong. I can't wait to find out what it is. I feel like a limp dishrag........

Everyone thinks I do too much. But that's not the reason.

BxGirl
    [This Message was Edited on 09/05/2005]
  9. abbylee

abbylee New Member

My thumb is fine, now. I had surgery on it shortly after my sleep study. I had surgery on the other one a year or so before my sleep study. Don't know what goes on with thumbs, but each of mine had to have surgery!!

When do you go for your sleep study results? I know you're eager to find out the results. Please let me know when you know something.

Gotta go - my dad just called and my mom has been taken to the er by ambulance. She's 4 hours from me, so I may need to pack