To all, is it safe to order on the web with a credit card??

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by Debgene56, Mar 13, 2003.

1. Debgene56

Debgene56 New Member

Want to order a cookbook. Am new to the computer and not sure if I should give my credit card # out. Any suggestions? Love, Deb
  2. jeanderek

jeanderek New Member

Barnes and Noble is safe I know but not sure about other sites. Check to see if they have a secure way to order. Also make sure they have a privacy policy.
  3. pinkquartz

pinkquartz New Member

i've ordered some stuff using card online and its all been fine. I used wellknown sites and i think they all say that they have a special secuity thing to make it safe. i still feel nervous when i do it but so far so good.
    pinkquartz
  4. karen55

karen55 New Member

I've ordered books from amazon with no problem using a credit card. I've used my card online at several sites and had no problem. If it's a reputable site (dealer, business), you won't have a problem.

Karen
  5. Debgene56

Debgene56 New Member

but how do I know if it is a well known site. I really do know little about this, but I am learning!!! Thanks. Love, Deb
  6. Debgene56

Debgene56 New Member

I want to order the Beat Candida Cookbook by Erica White from the Uk, it is internationally published. I looked it up and they show tons of sites at many different prices.
    Love, Deb
  7. Dlebbole

Dlebbole New Member

We recently got a letter from our credit card company saying that our card number had been "compromised." They did say that it was an online business that the numbers were stolen from, and the only one I've used is Amazon.com. We aren't liable for any charges, and they did notify us right away but it makes you think.....
  8. Shirl

Shirl New Member

I do not order anything online. Just get the phone number from the site you found the book on and call them. You can order over the phone from almost all companies. Thats what I do.

No doubt Barns&Nobel, Books a Million,or Amazon have it in stock, they will be glad to ship it to you over the phone.

Do be careful on the net, you just don't know!

Shalom, Shirl

9. Debgene56

Debgene56 New Member

My gut feeling was that it might not be good. Appreciate it!
    Love, Deb
  10. Plantscaper

Plantscaper New Member

Is there still a problem? I'm fairly new to the internet, myself and haven't had a problem, yet. Can people hack into those supposedly very secure sites?
  11. praisingHim

praisingHim New Member

I have ordered off the net several times, and have never had a problem.......
  12. basket21

basket21 New Member

a privacy policy as said previously. Another thing, do they have a phone number. Check the site. If you have a problem you have no way to tell them and they could ignore emails. And, if the site has a lot to offer and lots of the items are not available, that's another red flag. Lastly, print your order out so you a paper copy of your order with their info on it.
    Before I order, I also make sure they deliver to your state, city, whatever. It saves you from spending time finding what you want, filling in the order and then see you can't have it cuz they don't deliver to you.
    Follow these guidelines and you should be safe. I always do.

basket 21
  13. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

We do try to keep this area for illness related topics, but since this website sells supplements online, I'm leaving it here.

A website will tell you when it is secure and safe to use your credit card to purchase. This website is safe.

One of the least safe places to use a credit card is in a restaurant or retail store. It is a cinch for a clerk to simply copy your card number and use it.

If you promptly report any misuse of your card, you will usually not be responsible for any charges. The most you can be held responsible for is $50.

Love, Mikie
  14. shadylady

shadylady New Member

I read with interest the question and answers regarding online credit card purchases. I too, am skeptical about that. I had my IPS inform me that I was locked out of my messages "due to security reasons". They then proceeded to give me a password that consisted of 14 digits and characters. I then proceeded with that and after answering my life's history questions was enable to make a new password. This made me extremely nervous. I WAS chatting with a man from Pakistan for about a year and then asked me my password. I did not give it to him; however, I fear he might have tried to access my email to send messages from my site. As for me, no credit card info, no more of anything unless it is life or death. I enjoyed everyone's messages. One of these days I am going to get nerve up to go to a chat room. I still fear that! Pamela
  15. pamela

pamela New Member

Dont do it. Get the phone number from the comapny or the address and send a money order. NEVER order on line... with the intelligence of hackers these days and all the new technology break-thru's everyday it would not be safe. Whats safe today may not be safe tomorrow. Technology is moving way to fast!!! Love Pammy
  16. Grams

Grams New Member

I have ordered online without a problem. However, I use a different credit card that I use only for that purpose. It was a very low credit limit, and if there was a problem, it would not affect my "main" credit card. Works for me!
  17. tsj62301

tsj62301 New Member

I order from amazon and ebay quite often and have had no trouble. My husband orders from alot of different venders and has had no problems also. good luck and happy shopping.
    Tess
  18. Kathryn

Kathryn New Member

We buy on Ebay a lot, and I have bought numerous items from on line retailers also. NEVER buy anything from a web site that contacts you first. Also, never use a debit card on line, or anywhere for that matter. You have some measure of protection with a CC, but a person who has access to a debit card can clean out your checking and savings accounts. I have only had one case of a seller not shipping merchandise after I bought it, and I took copies of my emails to them to my bank and they did a chargeback. I got my money back the same day from VISA, and the seller got a nastygram in their VISA file. If they get enough, they are no longer allowed to accept credit cards, which really puts a crimp in their online sales. It is far more likely for an uscrupulous business owner or employee to take advantage of you at a local business. They can either scan your card twice, or copy the information for later use. Also, if you don't take your carbons, dumpster divers can get them and use the information.
    Kathryn
  19. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

Ordering online with a secure website is safer than using your cc in a retail outlet.

Love, Mikie
  20. bejo

bejo New Member

We have a discover card.We set it up with them one time so now our number never goes online.They use a different code number every time.When I am ordering something, discover comes on and asks me if I want them to fill out the form and I ckick yes.They take care of the rest of it by code.I have heard that some of the internet search sites,like MSN also will do this through one of their services.I've never tried that way so I'm not positive how it works.
    bejo