To All Those Who Ask

Discussion in 'Spirituality/Worship' started by PoimaeHopkins, Jun 3, 2007.

1. PoimaeHopkins

PoimaeHopkins New Member

To Those For Whom I Intercede:

A lifetime ago (1971), there was a young man who was very much in love. His young wife of nine months was in Oklahoma – he was in California. Why? Because it was the Vietnam War era, he was twenty-one, and he got drafted by Uncle Sam. So as not to go into the Army, the young man chose the US Navy. Because he wanted to be trained the best way possible, he volunteered to go into a certain part of the Navy that trained him for sea, air and land operations. He was over half-way through his training when he received an emergency phone call. Along with the rest of the men, he was told that the only way he would be able to talk to anyone on the ‘outside’ was if there was a death in the family. He was coming out of ‘mess-hall’ when he received the news from his Company Commander that there was ‘a phone call’ for him. As he double-timed it to the phone booth, the young man thought, “Who died, Lord, was it my Dad, my Mom, my sister or my brother?”
    He picked up the receiver and heard his Dad say, “How are you doing, Son?” The young man replied, “Who died, Dad?” His Dad replied, “Now, Son, I don’t want you to be upset, BUT, your wife is in the hospital – losing the “BABY!” The young man’s wife was five months with child. Suddenly, there was a flood of tears that broke over the young man’s face. The CC, who was standing outside the phone booth, had never seen the young man weep. Through all the rough training, the CC had never seen him shed a tear. Immediately, he opened the phone booth door and said, “Son, tell your Dad to get a hold of the Red Cross on his end, we will get you on a plane via the Red Cross on this end.” Within twenty-four hours, the young man was on a plane bound for Oklahoma. On the plane flight all the young man could think was, “Why, Lord? Why? Why did you let this happen? Am I not doing the right thing? Am I not fighting for my Country? Am I not your Son? Is not my wife your daughter? Why, Lord, Why?!!!

No answer was given.

By the time the young man arrived in Tulsa, he was as hardened as the sky seemed to be above him. In Oklahoma, when you are dressed in “Navy Blues,” you stand out in a crowd. At the hospital, the young sailor took the elevator to the fifth floor where they had placed his wife. Upon leaving the elevator, the sailor was confronted by a short, over-weight Doctor. He said, “Are you the husband of L----- Hopkins?” The young sailor replied, “Yes, she is my wife.” Pointing his finger at the sailor, the Doctor said, “I hold you personally responsible for the death of your Son! We tried our best, the baby lived for about five hours, but we couldn’t help him. He was a perfectly normal baby – he was just too young! L------ miscarried that boy out of worrying about you, what you were training in, and where you would be going! You are responsible for your boy’s death!”[I didn’t know till years later that this same doctor had brought my wife into the world – the ‘family doctor!]
    For a long second the young sailor had the strongest urge to ‘kill’ the doctor! Instead, the granite-like sailor said, “Does my wife know that the boy was normal?” The Doctor answered, “No, she does not. She has been under heavy sedation, she will soon return to consciousness.” The sailor replied, “I’m only on an emergency 24hr leave. My outfit will be soon be pulling out for Nam. I must return. Would you please get another sedative ready for her. I’ll go to her. When she awakes, I’ll tell her that there was something wrong with the baby, and that’s the reason why the Lord took the boy home.”

The Doctor agreed.

After about an hour (it seemed like an eternity), L------ returned to consciousness. The first thing she said, upon seeing her husband by her side, was “I’m sorry – sooo sorry!!! I lost the baby.”

“Now, Honey,” the sailor was quick to answer, “you did not do anything wrong.!”

She replied, “What was it? A boy or a girl?”

“A boy,” her husband answered. She broke out in a fresh shower of tears.

Then her husband began the lie, “Honey, there was something wrong with our Son. The Doctor doesn’t know why. It is just that way. The boy could not live. If the Lord had not taken the boy home, you would have been in danger.”

The young woman believed her husband. She believed him. But the young sailor knew different; he had killed his own Son!

Why do I tell you this tragic story? First, because it is true. Secondly, because the young sailor was ME.

It was two years later – a lifetime later – that I learned the reason “Why.” After spending a year overseas, after fighting in a War that nobody wanted, I learned the reason “Why?”

I received a phone call one day from my brother-in-law. He was weeping on the phone – he was hard to understand. He was telling me that my sister was having a miscarriage and they were losing their baby! As I listened to my brother-in-law, I heard my Lord say, “Now, Son, minister to him as only you can – a man that had gone through this same kind of tragedy!”
    Then, I realized what I have come to know is the wisdom of God. Nothing, in this life happens by chance. Ultimately, God is behind all of it – for a reason. Do I understand all of what God is doing? How can I? How can a finite mind comprehend the infinite? There are innumerable things in God’s natural creation that man will never have the capacity to understand. For example, we use electricity and take the benefits of it for granted; but ask a EE (Electronic Engineer) to explain exactly what ‘is’ electricity, and he will just shrug his shoulders and say, “I don’t have a clue.” We know, to a certain degree how electricity works and what it will do under certain circumstances. Yet, why it works that way and exactly what is it – we don’t know! The thing called ‘Gravity’ is in the same category: we can explain, to a degree, what it does, but we don’t know “what” it is or “why” it is – this thing that our life literally depends on – we don’t know!

This is why we hear Jesus saying to Nicodemus, John 3:6-12

6 "That which is born of the flesh is flesh, and that which is born of the Spirit is spirit.
    7 "Do not marvel that I said to you, 'You must be born again.'
    8 "The wind blows where it wishes and you hear the sound of it, but do not know where it comes from and where it is going; so is everyone who is born of the Spirit."
    9 Nicodemus answered and said to Him, "How can these things be?"
    10 Jesus answered and said to him, "Are you the teacher of Israel, and do not understand these things?
    11 "Truly, truly, I say to you, we speak that which we know, and bear witness of that which we have seen; and you do not receive our witness.
    12 "If I told you earthly things and you do not believe, how shall you believe if I tell you heavenly things?”

Jinlee, precious Sister, remember that Job’s wife, who said to Job, “curse God and die” was NOT the person going through the physical pain and torment that Job was experiencing. Have we not found out in our own experiences that there are people, who do NOT know of the pain we live with, who are very quick with their counsel, “Curse God and die.”
    If there are many things in the natural creation we don’t understand, then, for sure, apart from faith, there is nothing of heavenly matters that we will ever understand. When we run up against matters such as death, pain, suffering, sorrow, sin, and a host of other unexplainable matters of such ilk, we must make a choice of one of two paths – and the outcome of that choice has eternal consequences.
    Do I choose to live this life under my own colors, fight life’s battles with my own strength, believe only in myself and what I ‘think’ is right? If I choose this path, then I will ultimately find self-destruction at the end of the path. I will realize, too late, that I have three enemies: the world, Satan and my own fallen nature, which are infinitely stronger than me and know more than me. I am an Immortal, created in God’s Image, meant to live in eternity. My enemies say different. They tell me that I am but a Mortal, I only live ‘once,’ and after death, there is nothing. Life is meaningless, I have no purpose for being, therefore, I must live for ‘me.’
    What they don’t tell me is that all they say is but a grand delusion – one big lie. If I choose this path, then I become their slave: Romans 6:16

16 “Do you not know that when you present yourselves to someone as slaves for obedience, you are slaves of the one whom you obey, either of sin resulting in death, or of obedience resulting in righteousness?”

The Apostle Paul goes on to say some remarkable truths: Romans 6:17-23
    17 “But thanks be to God that though you were slaves of sin, you became obedient from the heart to that form of teaching to which you were committed,
    18 and having been freed from sin, you became slaves of righteousness.
    19 I am speaking in human terms because of the weakness of your flesh. For just as you presented your members as slaves to impurity and to lawlessness, resulting in further lawlessness, so now present your members as slaves to righteousness, resulting in sanctification. 20 For when you were slaves of sin, you were free in regard to righteousness.
    21 Therefore what benefit were you then deriving from the things of which you are now ashamed? For the outcome of those things is death.
    22 But now having been freed from sin and enslaved to God, you derive your benefit, resulting in sanctification, and the outcome, eternal life.
    23 For the wages of sin is death, but the free gift of God is eternal life in Christ Jesus our Lord.”

Did the Apostle Paul understand the struggles you, WakeMeUp and countless others (including me) are going through? Listen to what he says. I believe you will see that he did understand:

Romans 7:15-25
    15 “For that which I am doing, I do not understand; for I am not practicing what I would like to do, but I am doing the very thing I hate.
    16 But if I do the very thing I do not wish to do, I agree with the Law, confessing that it is good.
    17 So now, no longer am I the one doing it, but sin which indwells me.
    18 For I know that nothing good dwells in me, that is, in my flesh; for the wishing is present in me, but the doing of the good is not.
    19 For the good that I wish, I do not do; but I practice the very evil that I do not wish.
    20 But if I am doing the very thing I do not wish, I am no longer the one doing it, but sin which dwells in me.
    21 I find then the principle that evil is present in me, the one who wishes to do good.
    22 For I joyfully concur with the law of God in the inner man,
    23 but I see a different law in the members of my body, waging war against the law of my mind, and making me a prisoner of the law of sin which is in my members.
    24 Wretched man that I am! Who will set me free from the body of this death?
    25 Thanks be to God through Jesus Christ our Lord! So then, on the one hand I myself with my mind am serving the law of God, but on the other, with my flesh the law of sin.”

The other path which we can choose is the path of Jesus. Unlike the first path that only leads to our self-destruction, the path of Jesus will lead us to be with Jesus for all eternity. What a difference! Jesus said, “Follow Me.” And that is simply what we are to do, follow Him. In that gift of salvation (Ephesians 2:8) there are two elements mentioned: grace and faith. God calls us into a Life of Grace whereby we are to live it by God’s enabling faith (e.g. Romans 5:21; Titus 3:7; I Peter 3:7).

With Christ’s callings come His enablings. The Scripture declares,

NAS 1 Thessalonians 5:24

“Faithful is He who calls you, and He also will bring it to pass.”

This side of Heaven, we will never understand the “why” of many things. And it is only our human arrogance that presumes that we ‘can’ understand them. Again, if I can’t figure out the material, how do I think I can figure out the spiritual? Yes, Satan says, “Curse God and die,” but God, our Heavenly Father says, “Trust Christ and live!”
    I thank God I know He ultimately is behind all things. It encourages me to know that even the devil is God’s devil, and he can’t touch me without God’s permission. I will not blame my God for the actions and intentions of Satan, nor will I complain to God for the temporary afflictions I am going through in this life.

When Job lost everything but his wife and health, his reactions were honest, real and full of trust:

Job 1:20-22
    20 “Then Job arose and tore his robe and shaved his head, and he fell to the ground and worshiped.
    21 And he said, "Naked I came from my mother's womb, And naked I shall return there. The LORD gave and the LORD has taken away. Blessed be the name of the LORD."
    22 Through all this Job did not sin nor did he blame God.”

After God gave Satan permission to ‘touch him’ and bring about a 24/7 life of pain and anguish, what did Job do? With a wife telling him to curse God and die, we hear Job saying this:

Job 2:9-10
    9 “Then his wife said to him, "Do you still hold fast your integrity? Curse God and die!"
    10 But he said to her, "You speak as one of the foolish women speaks. Shall we indeed accept good from God and not accept adversity?" In all this Job did not sin with his lips.”

Yes, I believe he suffered form CFS, FMS and all the other related DD that we have; but Job did not have a terrific support Group like we do. He did not have a host of people who accept us unconditionally and can relate to us because they know of our pain. He had a wife and three ‘friends’ who pointed their fingers at him and said, “it’s either God or you that is to blame for your calamity. Just die, and be done with it!” Some great wife – some great friends!
    We have not suffered as Job suffered; that statement is not meant to take away or minimize the torment that anyone is struggling with in their own lives. [And Job’s pain comes no where close to the pain that Christ Jesus suffered for US on the Cross!]

But, Oh, that we might reach the same point that Job reached when he said,

Job 19:25-26

25 "And as for me, I know that my Redeemer lives, And at the last He will take His stand on the earth. 26 "Even after my skin is destroyed, Yet from my flesh I shall see God;”

In this war we have in the flesh, we can only be victorious in Christ if we engage the battle of suffering on the spiritual level, wearing our spiritual battle gear (Ephesians 6:10-18) and attacking the enemy with the only weapon we have – the Word of God! (Ephesians 6:17)
    Let us not answer the thrusts of pain with the pusillanimous actions and attitudes of mere man. We are children of God! We are princes and princesses of the King!

NKJ Philippians 4:13

“I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.

NKJ Philippians 4:19

“And my God shall supply all your need according to His riches in glory by Christ Jesus.

NAS 1 Corinthians 10:13

“No temptation has overtaken you but such as is common to man; and God is faithful, who will not allow you to be tempted beyond what you are able, but with the temptation will provide the way of escape also, that you may be able to endure it.:

NLT 2 Peter 2:9

“So you see, the Lord knows how to rescue godly people from their trials, even while keeping the wicked under punishment until the day of final judgment.”

1 Peter 1:6-9

6 “In this you greatly rejoice, even though now for a little while, if necessary, you have been distressed by various trials,
    7 that the proof of your faith, being more precious than gold which is perishable, even though tested by fire, may be found to result in praise and glory and honor at the revelation of Jesus Christ;
    8 and though you have not seen Him, you love Him, and though you do not see Him now, but believe in Him, you greatly rejoice with joy inexpressible and full of glory,
    9 obtaining as the outcome of your faith the salvation of your souls.”

Know of my love for each of you and my continued prayers over your lives.

Poimae

[This Message was Edited on 06/04/2007]
  2. PoimaeHopkins

PoimaeHopkins New Member

I understand your question about posts not landing where we thought they would land, and where do they go in cyberspace.

I withdrew my original post because the Title didn't show the word "Why". You might have been posting at that time, and there was no where for your post to land. I'm sorry.

I've learned something you might be able to benefit from: I type all my posts using Microsoft Word. When I am done, I past it onto the Board. That way, if there is some unforseen happening that occurs, I still have my original from which to copy and paste.

Hope this tip helps. I would love to read your post, I am sure it would be worth reading.

Thanks so much for all you do.

From my heart to yours in Christ,

Poimae
  3. poeticbobbi

poeticbobbi New Member

I really needed to read this post and it wasn't by chance or happenstance.I am trying to allow God to do what he wants in my life.I know what is right and I was once born again.However I allowed fear,doubt and old wounds to turn me back.Please pray for me as I know that I need God.