To Allhart with gratitude!!!

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by kadywill, Dec 2, 2002.

1. kadywill

kadywill New Member

You will never know the peace of mind the post you sent for me gave me today!!! I am so used to having no proof positive of my pain/fatigue, that when the MRI did show the spinal stenosis and disc damage, I wasn't sure whether it would be sufficient for my disability claim. I am so tired of having to defend myself in regards to my symptoms and inability to lead a normal life and I do so dread the process of applying for disability. I applied about 12 years ago for my hypertension and angioedema and hives and was denied. I didn't have the energy or $$$ to (stay outta work) and appeal. I didn't know I needed an attorney and it came down to the fact that I couldn't say that those problems would make me unable to work at any job for the next 12 months. I can say that now with no ifs, ands, or buts! (butts, in my case!! lol) My administrator at work has me frightened, I suppose, and I am not too good at fighting a legal battle. Will I have a real battle, do you think??
    I am 47 and am a nurse, which is a physically and emotional demanding occupation. I have hypertension, I am overweight, I have chronic angioedema and hives and the meds I take during an acute flare of that make me unable to stay awake and function AND I have developed an intolerance to the steroids that have saved my life MANY times in the past. The itching and giant hives are impossible to deal with while working, I have FMS/CFIDS complex, I have spinal stenosis, several bulging discs and joint arthropathy, I have flares of memory deficit, I have a history of severe depression and anxiety and am intolerant to most antidepressants.
    My concern is that the doctor said that I have the option of surgery for the spinal stenosis. I do not want to have this done and he sure didn't insist. He knows that I have chronic FM pain and that I have numerous other issues to be concerned with as well. First of all, I am terrified to have spinal surgery and the thought is just horrendous for me. I do not recover well from surgery and my FMS/CFIDS exacerbates this. My research has shown that it is risky and not guaranteed to be successful. With my history of adverse effects, this is not an option for me. My husband is dead-set against this for me and he just won't support a surgery choice. I agree with him completely. Money is an issue, too, and my bills are just mounting and mounting, which adds to my depression and anxiety. I won't add to those bills with unwanted surgery.
    CAN they deny me because I can't/won't have surgery???? This spinal stenosis info you sent me shows that this IS a verified, clarified, documented, reasonable basis for disability. Should I be really worried about this? Should I get an attorney now? I left work mid-day on 11-10-02 and I haven't heard from my STD insurance company yet.
    Please advise, if you can.....
    Thank you!
    Love,
    Kady
    [This Message was Edited on 12/02/2002]
  2. kadywill

kadywill New Member

You will never know the peace of mind the post you sent for me gave me today!!! I am so used to having no proof positive of my pain/fatigue, that when the MRI did show the spinal stenosis and disc damage, I wasn't sure whether it would be sufficient for my disability claim. I am so tired of having to defend myself in regards to my symptoms and inability to lead a normal life and I do so dread the process of applying for disability. I applied about 12 years ago for my hypertension and angioedema and hives and was denied. I didn't have the energy or $$$ to (stay outta work) and appeal. I didn't know I needed an attorney and it came down to the fact that I couldn't say that those problems would make me unable to work at any job for the next 12 months. I can say that now with no ifs, ands, or buts! (butts, in my case!! lol) My administrator at work has me frightened, I suppose, and I am not too good at fighting a legal battle. Will I have a real battle, do you think??
    I am 47 and am a nurse, which is a physically and emotional demanding occupation. I have hypertension, I am overweight, I have chronic angioedema and hives and the meds I take during an acute flare of that make me unable to stay awake and function AND I have developed an intolerance to the steroids that have saved my life MANY times in the past. The itching and giant hives are impossible to deal with while working, I have FMS/CFIDS complex, I have spinal stenosis, several bulging discs and joint arthropathy, I have flares of memory deficit, I have a history of severe depression and anxiety and am intolerant to most antidepressants.
    My concern is that the doctor said that I have the option of surgery for the spinal stenosis. I do not want to have this done and he sure didn't insist. He knows that I have chronic FM pain and that I have numerous other issues to be concerned with as well. First of all, I am terrified to have spinal surgery and the thought is just horrendous for me. I do not recover well from surgery and my FMS/CFIDS exacerbates this. My research has shown that it is risky and not guaranteed to be successful. With my history of adverse effects, this is not an option for me. My husband is dead-set against this for me and he just won't support a surgery choice. I agree with him completely. Money is an issue, too, and my bills are just mounting and mounting, which adds to my depression and anxiety. I won't add to those bills with unwanted surgery.
    CAN they deny me because I can't/won't have surgery???? This spinal stenosis info you sent me shows that this IS a verified, clarified, documented, reasonable basis for disability. Should I be really worried about this? Should I get an attorney now? I left work mid-day on 11-10-02 and I haven't heard from my STD insurance company yet.
    Please advise, if you can.....
    Thank you!
    Love,
    Kady
  3. allhart

allhart New Member

your so welcome im glad i actually could help!
    im not sure about the sugurey thing i just wont bring it up and if anyone brings it up to you 1 show any reaseach that says its not usally seccessful and 2 you cant afford it
    they never asked about me having sugery for my tmd ,but i did end up sending them estimates of how much it would be and the oral surgen wrote on there that even with surery patients condtion will remain gurdied (sorry i cant spell today!)
    i personally wont get the sugurey espeacilly with the past problems you have i think it would be harmful,

make sure you get All your medical records from all your as far back as you can and personally make copies and send them in with your applicaton make sure that all xray reports are there anything that shows what you have and how its affecting,dont forget any reports from ers or urgents cares that may have seen you,get a print out from the pharamacy of all your meds,
    list any medical promblem you have had for more then 12 monthes and all the symtoms from eachand how they effect your abilty to work, i honstly dont think youll have much of a promblem my wendy got approved after 1 appeal the only reason she didnt get approved the frist is because they didnt have enough of her records she has 2 things on there impairment listing and so do you the spinal promblem and depression,i also think hypertensions listed but am not sure than when you add in the fm and other things,as long as you can show them all the records that prove you have the conditon.send them there listing of impairments highlighted with your condtions,
    my major promblem has been the missing medical records ss tells you that they will get copies but they didnt get them from all the drs and places i had listed,so its very important that you get them and send them in yourself i probley could have avoided all this time if i had done it myself
    as far as a attoney most wont take a case until your turned down aleast once,if your turned down which i honsetly dont think you would be then they will send you info about hiring a attoney ,you will request a application from them so they will approve and pay for the attoreny,i would call today and have them send you the application if you dont already have one,
    best of luck
    kara
  4. kadywill

kadywill New Member

You know, I've had three major TMJ surgeries in the past. The last one was a Mandibular Osteotomy in 1990 and it was really rough. I don't think I would ever go throught that again, even though it did keep my pain away for about ten years...except for the times I had to keep my mouth open for a long time. I wore braces on my teeth for several years prior to the surgery to get my bite corrected as best as we could. I put a lot of money, time, patience, pain and worry into that surgery and I was a lot younger and healthier. Rough!!!!
    Love and thanks,
    Kady
  5. teach6

teach6 New Member

Take a deep breath and let it out. Now, let's look at things one at a time. I remember the anxiety about getting my STD approved, however I still had no dx at the time, I just could not continue to do my job. My CFS and FM had finally hit me over the head like a ton of bricks. It's not that I hadn't been trying to find out what was physiacally wrong for years, it was that my doc believed it was all psychosomatic.

With all the problems you have I see no reason for you to worry about approval for your disability. I think your anxiety has taken hold of you and you need to do everything you can to stop that. I know it's hard, but try to focus on something else, like your Christmas list (not of things to do, but of things you want). Find some way to pamper yourself each day. It may be a bubble bath, perhaps a manicure, listening to relaxing music, whatever comes to mind.

You WILL get through this. I understand how overwhelming the process seems right now, but you need to take it one step at a time. The first step is your STD claim. Put everything else aside for now. After Christmas you can focus on the next step, whatever that will be for you. Maybe it will be filing for SSDI, maybe it will be filing for LTD, but focus on one at a time. You don't have to do it all at once.

Meanwhile, why don't you join us on the Chit Chat Board. It's a great place to relax and have some fun, which it sounds like you could use right now.

((((((((((((Hugs)))))))))),
    Barbara