to be having a sleep study at my house,, the costs,,

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by razorqueen, Aug 12, 2005.

1. razorqueen

razorqueen Member

any one in Canada had one done and what was the cost for you? I can't afford the costs! I don't know what I should do. I'm hoping that there is someway to get past the costs.
  2. darude

darude New Member

Already diagnosed with apnea Mixed sleep apnea but still having the test done at home. It costs 150.00 here in Alberta. Free of course if you go to the hospital but I've been at the hospital so much lately that I'm sick of the place. Gonna pay for this one nice and private at home. It's a small machine similar to a Holter monitor and you put the electrodes all over and it records. Next day you take tape in and Doc reads it.
  3. razorqueen

razorqueen Member

a 2-4 yr waiting list to have it done at the hospital. I saw my doc on Wed, and on Thursday, the NEXT day, I had info in the mail from the company he refered me too. Darude here in Manitoba it supposed to cost me $195 to have it done, then of course if I am positive for the apnea it will be around $2000 for the cpap machine!
  4. Rosiebud

Rosiebud New Member

in Scotland. I go on Tuesday to hospital to see chest doctor then dont know who I see from there or how long it will take.

I dont think the machine will do the same as a sleep study at hospital I'd much rather have it done there if I had the choice but I dont. They will be able to tell you more about your sleep I would think.

Rosie
  5. darude

darude New Member

For the CPAP? Gee I'm wondering if AHC pays for it. Should do !
  6. tngirl

tngirl New Member

You still have to have a doctors prescription to get one. You may want to check it out. Just do a search online for CPAP.

I have sleep apnea and have used CPAP for awhile now. My insurance paid (I am in the U.S.) so I was lucky in that aspect.
  7. pepper

pepper New Member

$1100 and I am in Canada. OHIP (Ontario Health Insurance) paid for most of it (approx. $700) and our private health insurance paid for the rest. Is it possible that Manitoba Health pays for some of the CPAP too?

Pepper
  8. pepper

pepper New Member

that you could go to Ontario for a sleep study? I had to wait 4 months but that is because I am in Ottawa. In smaller centers the wait is much shorter.

It seems a shame to pay for something that should be covered!

Just a thought.

Pepper
  9. razorqueen

razorqueen Member

that would cost me a whole lot more than getting it done at home. I will talk to them about the costs when they calll. We used to have insurance at the job my hubby used to have, but now he is a business owner and we have no insurance. As far as buying on-line, I need to consider the exchange rate from US to Candian funds, taxes, duty and custom charges. Something that is inexpensive suddenly isn't so cheap anymore.

[ advertisement ]