TO: cczub

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by valleyann, Jul 31, 2006.

1. valleyann

valleyann New Member

Hey Chris,

I just read your post in response to my new picture on my profile. And I wanted to let you know that I am incredibly touched that you found that reading my profile was like reading your own life story. It's nice to know that we are not in this alone, isn't it?

I also wanted to ask you about the pericarditis… so far I haven't been diagnosed for anything specifically related to the stabbing pains in my chest. But I read up about pericarditis and it sound awfully familiar. What type of symptoms have you experienced with this? What type of doctor diagnosed you with pericarditis?

I hope your day is going well.
    Val
  2. cczub

cczub New Member

I was scrolling down the page and saw my name!!! For the pericarditis, it took 2 different cardiologists before one found it. I was getting these pins and needle senstaion all over my body(not sure if it was related). The pain in my chest felt like I was getting stabbed with a knife and it would come out of nowhere. I'd just be walking or sitting or whatever for that matter and BAM... I'd double over. Durring these "attacks" if I took anything other than a VERY shallow breath in the pain would double. The doctor did and echocardiogram which showed the outer linning of my heart was enlarged with slight fluid build up.

I was put on steriods for 2 months and it went away. It did come back though whenever I got a viral infection and would have to go back on like a 2 week steriod treatment pack. I've had very minor flare ups but no major ones in probally 2 1/2 years. The funny thing is I started with all my FM symtoms around the same time the pericarditis started. I link the pericarditis as one of the factors that started up my FM..

Hope this makes sense. I'm not having a good day and have gone over it and tried to fix the MANY gramatical errors but I might have missed a few!

Thank you so much for getting back to me... Knowing that there are people close to my age I can talk about this to really helps(not that I don't love the advice from EVERYONE on here!!!)
  3. cczub

cczub New Member

I jsut re-read your profile.. Here are a few more things...

When I was 10ish, I came down with mono and colitis at the same time as well as something neurological(i can't make heads or tails out of my medical records from then). I didn't get frostbite but for some reason, no one was ever able to explain I lost the skin on 2 of my toes on one of my feet(they are fine now). The night before I was hospitalized I complained I was freezing. My dad got me a sleeping bad and soon after was screaming I was on burning up (even though I wasn't).

I woke up the next morning completely out of it. I was rushed to my fill-in doctor and only remember her trying to touch my chin to my chest and jumping off the table in pain. I don't remember the ride to the hospital, just remember being in the waiting room. Next thing I remember is waking up DURING a spinal tap... NOT FUN..

I was in the hospital for 3-4 weeks. I was totally messed up. My vision and memory was affected also. I missed most of the second half of 6th grade. I had to go to doctors for the colitis for several years.

I have bad knees as well(from playing hockey and skiing). I've had 4 surgeries on my right knee(3 scopes and 1 open) and one on my left(scope). I've also had surgery tohave my left ankle repaired(problem with the tendons) and my right shoulder to stop it from dislocating.

I have constant pain in my lower back and ICY-HOT has been my best friend for the past 3 weeks...

I have acid reflux as well and am on Nexium for it too...

Like I said, your profile was like reading my medical records... I figured I'd let you into my world a little as my profile is really vauge..
  4. valleyann

valleyann New Member

When you had the echocardiogram did were you experiencing pains during that time, or did it show the inflamation even when you weren't experiencing any pains?

The doctors have no idea why I am getting these pains and have quite frankly dropped the ball with that. But I am going to bring it up again anyways. They have done xrays to my chest and that is fine and they "said" my heart is fine. So why do I keep getting these pains? They don't happen frequently, but they happen often enough for me to be annoyed and somewhat worried.

I get the stabbing pain in the right side of my chest like someone is stabbing me with a knife. The first time it happened I thought I was having a heart attack. It happens at odd times...I'm not necessarily doing anything specific. It gets worse if I lie down and it also hurts when I take a deep breath. It's a terrible pain... your symptoms sound exactly like mine, except I don't experience the pins and needles sensation.

Thank you for sharing your story about your medical history with me. It does sound very familiar to me. Although I haven't had knee surgery, I have very minor problems with my knees.

I hope you're having a good day!
    Val

5. cczub

cczub New Member

The echocardiogram is basically an ultrasound of your heart... The pain would come and go no set schedule.LOL.. I had the echo done during the time I was getting the attacks off and on. During the attacks, if I breathed in or layed down it would get worse. Normally I'd double over and not move for a minute or two until it passed, then I'd be fine. It was always a scary thing but once I found out what it was, it made me feel better knowing it was treatable.

Pericarditis is an inflamation of the outer lining of the heart. It's usualy caused by a viral infection. Usually you'll get some fluid buildup between the pericardium "sack" and the heart. The pain comes from the restriction the imflamation puts on the heart. Have you seen a cardiologist?

I'd ask him about this and aboout having an echo done. There's nothing to it. If he see nothing, I'd ask for a copy of the report/pictures and just have a second opinion. The first cardiologist completely missed it.

To rule other stuff out I had a nuclear stress test done. It's the same as a regular stress test for your heart but the inject you with dye and take pictures of the heart at intervals durring the stress test. This showed something but they weren't sure what it was. This led them to do a cardiac catherization. The cath showed no problems with the heart itself.. 2 things didn't go so well for me with this test... 1. I woke up in the middle! and 2.After about 2 hours in recovery the plug they put in the artery shifted and I started to bleed out.. Very scary..

I tore cartaligde in the knees that's why they went in to fix it. The right knee never healed correctly that's why I had all the follow up surgeries on it.
    [This Message was Edited on 07/31/2006]

[ advertisement ]