To do list, 10/20 to 10/27

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by AnneTheresa, Oct 19, 2008.

1. AnneTheresa

AnneTheresa Member

Hello dear friends & welcome newcomers! It's not often that I begin the new week's thread, today's a happy exception for me. To be up at this hour and feeling well is a most welcome anomaly. I'd like to bottle the feeling (of wellness) and share it with you.

I've been feeling poorly since Thanksgiving (Oct.13th in Canada), housebound, in pain, nauseas and greatly fatiged so you can imagine my delight when I felt well enough yesterday to go shopping with sweetie; to the used clothing store for Halloween costumes, to the dollar store for household odds & ends and to the grocery store for food. It was a wonderful day, made all the better by the lovely autumn weather. One sure thing about living with a chronic illness is the gratitude I feel each time I feel well enough to so something beyond the minimal.

I've already done most of my daily chores so my to-do list will be short and sweet.

To Do

on-line banking, ready cheques for the mail
    dust dresser & desk
    sweep & damp mop bedroom floor
    shower and shampoo
    read and rest, maybe go for a walk or to the mall later in the day if my energy holds.

God bless,
    Anne Theresa
    [This Message was Edited on 10/21/2008]
  2. sorekitty

sorekitty New Member

Hi to all,

Anne Theresa~I'm so glad you are feeling so well. Do you and sweetie wear your costumes to give out candy or are you going out? I hope your wellness hangs around. Please pass a bottle this way!!!

We are so stressed out here. Due to the stock market crash we may need to move out of our house (rent it out) to live with MIL who lives just 10 miles south of us. We are so lucky to have a back up place to live. My dh has been a financial adivsor for many years he and his dad started this business. Anyhoo, due to the fall in the stocks and bonds market we already saw our last paycheck was less and we do not see a let up for a long time.

My dh hasn't been sleeping which is very rare for him! I haven't been sleeping well and had to double up on my sleep meds only to find out when I went for refill that I could not have an early refill without the dr permission. So I have been calling my dr and the pharmacy today in hopes of some sleep.

rest and eat lunch
    pick up ds early (minimum days all week)
    parent-teacher conference
    pharmacy-if rx goes through

We have our parent-teacher conference today. My little guy has done well academically and with classroom routines but has had physical aggression when it comes to transitions (i.e. getting in line to go to snack and playground). I set up an educational consultant to go observe my ds tomorrow at lunch. I think I will have to call an IEP meeting to add an aide that can help during the unstructured time. I am afraid he will have no friends and be looked at as a bully when really his social deficits are due to autism. Not that hitting others is okay; he needs some sort of help and support to make it through those times during the day.

It has been so long since I've been able to get onto the message board..I must say, I'm not too crazy about this new set-up, but, I'm finding my way around it.

Anne Theresa, I'm so happy you are feeling so well..I know you have had a long bout of dealing with the discomfort from your diseases...

How is your son? Did his eye heal completely? I think of him often when I'm out in my vineyard.

Molly, I'm so sorry to hear of your financial situation..sadly, there are so many of us in this DH hasn't been sleeping well, either, and neither have I..lack of sleep sure doesn't help the stress level. If anyone had said 10 years ago, that I would end up being a farmers wife, I would have said they were nuts!!..but, here I am..I love the life style, but, the money just isn't there..

Your little one is so very lucky to have a mom like you who cares and is willing to fight to get him the help he needs..I know that he brings you alot of joy..bless you both.

DH and I have been working non-stop since the beginning of the year to try and keep up with the damage done to the irrigation system by the coyotes..during the winter months, we are going to try and seal up all of the areas where we think these critters are coming in under the fence..hopefully, that will help keep them out.

We had a pretty good harvest..sold most of the grapes, but, still doesn't look like we're going to break even...again..our costs, like everything else, keeps going up.

Adding to all of this financial business, DH is going in a week from today for prostate, we are both on pins and needles...then yesterday, my darling kitty died..he was a love and will be greatly missed.

So now that I've cheered everyone up, guess I'll scoot..LOL..I will try and keep in touch more often..I've really missed all of you..take care!

4. hugs4evry1

hugs4evry1 New Member

Good Morning all...

Anne Theresa, thanks for getting the thread started this week and I'm so happy you're starting to feel better and able to accomplish some of the fun stuff.

Molly I'm so glad you could stop by and let us know how things are going. I'm so sorry you're under so much stress. I too am glad you have a back up for living arrangements but I hope it doesn't come to that.

JB, yes, it's been ages since you've popped in and as always, it's great to hear from you too. I'm so sorry to hear of the loss of your kitty...
    Hope your DH's surgery goes well.

Sounds like everyone has so much going on....

I don't have much of a to do list again. Daughter had another episode Sunday night and we dealt with it yesterday. I seem to still be fighting yet another cold.

I still haven't managed to get my hair cut yet so if I have a good day this week, that's first on my list.

Hugs all,

5. alaska3355

alaska3355 New Member

I've been MIA lately....too much going on. I think I have a new child to take care of....Mother. Actually, she's really sweet and easy to get along with. It just takes a long time to go anywhere with her, so I have to be patient. She needs to get out now and then. Yesterday I took her to find some gourds for decorating her apt. Good sign, it means she's building her new nest.

I hope we don't have a mass exodus from the board due to the new set's different and less user friendly, but it's doable. I would hate to miss hearing from you all.

The weather is changing quickly here...much cooler and frosty at night. The boys and I are enjoying the fall colors. I'm glad we have more of a fall here than we did in AK- it just got cold suddenly and started dumping snow!

Sorry this is short, but I have a slew of housework to do......vaccuum, dust (probably should reverse that order!) and check the boys' schoolwork.

Take care, all,

6. AnneTheresa

AnneTheresa Member

Hello all,

Hi Molly, it's good to hear from you. I'm sorry the crash has effected you so, my heart goes out to the many people who are experiencing financial crisis at this time. Not having a particularly keen sense of world economics, the whys and wherefores are above me, but I know the outcome has been devastating in some instances.

How it's effected my own small world is that our purchase of the bookstore (which was set for Jan. 2009) has been postponed for a year or two because the present owners can no longer afford to retire. Sweetie, as is his nature, has taken this development in stride and is happy to remain as manager of the store until it comes back on the market.

I hope your meeting at the school goes well today and that you're able to get the support you need for your son. Your post makes me wonder how many children, in year's past, have been labeled 'bullies' and worse, when in fact it was autism or some other illness responsible for their behaviour. You do well by your son and I'm sure he'll grow to be a wonderful man. I hope you get your sleeping meds and that you and your husband both are able to get some restful sleep.

JB, I'm so sorry you lost your kitty, how very sad. Pets are part of the family and when they die, they are greatly missed. It sounds like you've had your hands full with all the work in your vineyard. I hope you get a rest from those nasty coyotes.

Thanks so much for asking about Steve - here's a brief update. His eye has not healed completely but the recovery to date has been miraculous. The doctors considered surgery to be too much of a risk and so recommended he have a prism affixed to the eye to support recovery. His vision is good, it is only when he's tired that he reverts to double-vision and needs to use the eye-patch.

I hope your husband's surgery goes well and that his recovery is swift and complete.

Nancy, I hope you get the upper hand with your cold and feel able to get out for a nice haircut this week. I'm sorry to hear Katy's had another episode and I hope she's feeling better now. Get some rest and feel better soon.

Terry, I'm happy to hear your mother-in-law is up and about and feathering her nest. Though I haven't had the experience myself, I can well imagine the patience needed to care for someone elderly - you are, I'm sure, a blessing in her life. The weather is the same here, turning cold - especially at night -and the autumn colours are brilliant. It's my favourite time of year.

Gammy, I'm glad your pneumonia is well-managed and I hope it goes away completely soon. I can't believe the work you're continuing to do, in spite of illness. You're amazing! Your new beds sound lovely - it's nice to be able to spend and save at the same time. Enjoy your gardening and remember to pace yourself.

doctor's appointment
    sweep floors
    put dishes away, clean counters
    empty wastebaskets
    make dinner

God bless,
    Anne Theresa
  7. hugs4evry1

hugs4evry1 New Member

Good Morning all....

Terri, I hope things continue to go well with your MIL....sounds like she is beginning to settle in a bit.

Anne Theresa, Are you disappointed about the book store? I know things happen for a this really ok with you both? (Although there's not much you can do about it) Also, thanks for the update on your son's injury.

Grammy, your posts always exhaust me, yet I know that had I not injured my leg I'd have been doing some heavy duty gardening as well....

So many of you love this season and frankly, I just feel cheated. I've been feeling like I missed an entire summer and it wasn't until this morning that I remembered that I really DID miss the entire summer with my leg injury first, then everything that happened afterwards.

Spring/summer in Europe is so glorious and I wasn't able to do any of the things that I love to do. Boo hoooo

Still nothing on my to do list...this cold is just kicking my butt and so far, no sign of it ending any time soon.

Hope to hear from Ellen this week, I know she's busy with her Excel course and new duties at work.

Hugs all,

8. EllenComstock

EllenComstock New Member

Hi, Girls:

Well, I definitely agree with JB that I hate this new website set up. I had to try twice before I could sign in so I could reply. And it was hard to find the message boards. I don't think it's very user friendly at all.

Well, I do have tons to do at work as usual, but I don't want to neglect all of you so here I am. Jim has a psychiatrist appt. today so I'm using my lunch half-hour as part of the time off. I missed the last one so I think I should go to this one. He's been doing pretty well. Good days and bad days, but that's to be expected, but for the most part I think he's having more good than bad at the moment.

I have finished my Excel course and unfortunately the one thing I really need to know for my job wasn't included in the course. But it did have some helpful things in it so it wasn't a total waste of time. I did get my Excel book out yesterday and was pleased at what I was able to learn. Of course it does help that I did take that Excel course last spring here on campus. I'm having to use Excel a lot on my job now.

So far Harry's job is still going well. I consider us fortunate for the moment. They keep talking about a slow down in hours coming up so we don't want to spend much money. We did get our concrete steps out front fixed and finished off the cabinet from where we had the dishwasher put in, but these things didn't cost much.

Molly: I'm so sorry you are going through financial troubles. I can certainly relate. Before my husband got the job he has now, we were on our last unemployment check. It is very stressful. And I'm sorry you are having behavior problems with your son. A lot of people don't understand that you have a special needs child.

JB: Good luck with your husband's surgery. I'm so sorry that your kitty died. I'm a cat lover myself so I can feel your loss.

Anne Theresa: I'm so glad you are feeling well today especially since you went through such a long period of not feeling well. It always confuses me when you talk about Thanksgiving, but then I have to remember you celebrate it at a different time than we do.

Nancy: I'm sorry Katie had another episode. How long will it be before Katie and her husband are divorced? I know it doesn't take as long when there are no children involved.

Terri: I can see that you have your hands full. Having a parent with needs is like having another child to take care of. I had that with my own mother. But it's great that she is settling in her new home.

Grammy: It sounds like you have really been overdoing it with the yard work. Better take it easy.

To-do list:

-vacuum carpet upstairs (done)
    -put away laundry (done)
    -Jim's dr. appt.
    -take Chelsea and Albert to the vet
    -put away window fans
    -leftover chili for dinner

I'll try to get back on here before the week is over!

9. hugs4evry1

hugs4evry1 New Member

Good Morning all...

Linda, it was great to hear from you but I'm sorry things are difficult right now.

Yes, it's cold here now, I even broke down and turned on the heat yesterday but it was 64 inside the house and I'm sick on top of it. It got cold and rainy in Aug and hasn't stopped. Where oh where did the summer go?

As of last night, Katy was doing ok. Last night she came out crying, she was deleting the old messages off of her cell phone and found the sweet messages her hubby used to leave for her. I encouraged her to delete them all in a bundle and she seemed to feel better after that. I'm hoping nothing changed after I went to bed.

Still nothing on my to do list yesterday although I did manage to cook dinner yesterday and got 2 naps. I really need to make getting a shower a priority today though....

Hugs all,

Also, please hang in there with the new site. I started using this one a few weeks ago so it wouldn't seem like such a big change when it switched over. It's not so bad once you get used to it, but I still don't like the lack of privacy....[This Message was Edited on 10/22/2008]
  10. EllenComstock

EllenComstock New Member

Hi, Girls:

Well, I went to Jim's psychiatrist appt. and got some interesting news. I talked to Kevin, Jim's social worker, afterward. I asked him if there was any further news on Jim's case of Don Pence taking off his clothes in front of Jim (and the others living there) while Jim was a client in Don's group home. Finally, I got some news since it's been since last summer since we heard of this revelation. Don said that he talked to Dennis, the licensing director at the Community Mental Health Center and that Jim said that Don didn't take his clothes off his clothes now. Kevin figures that Jim is now trying to protect his friend, Don. So now, of course the case is closed! I was so mad when I heard this!

I took a break this morning, found a private place and called Jim on my cell phone and asked him what was going on. It took awhile, but finally I found out just what I figured. Everyone is trying to keep Jim and Don apart, but in spite of this, they still manage to communicate once in awhile. Don has been talking to Jim and managed to get Jim to change his story from what Jim told us that Jim was in Don's bedroom and Don took his clothes off to Jim walked into Don's bedroom and Don happened to be undressing.

I tried to get Jim to see that Don knew he was in trouble and that he was just brainwashing Jim to get him to change his story, but of course I got nowhere. So Don gets away with no punishment. Who knows what all he has done through the years. It is so frustrating!

As for my Excel, I got the book out the other day and read some of the section that the course didn't cover and managed to do it on the computer. I was so excited when it got it to work! I still have more to go, but at least it's a start.

Linda: Hi, Linda, it's good to hear from you. I just saw a scary movie with a girlfriend last week-Quarantine. It was scary and a little weird.

Nancy: That must have been hard for Katy to hear those old messages. I would think that going through a divorce would be like going through a death in a way. The death of a relationship.

To-do list:

-vacuum hard floors (done)
    -empty dishwasher (done)
    -empty wastebaskets (done)
    -go to the drugstores to pick prescriptions and a few other things (done)
    -FMS dr. appt. this afternoon
    -get meat ready for freezer

11. AnneTheresa

AnneTheresa Member

Hello ladies,

Grammy, I just loved reading your post today, you sound so warm and cozy, good for you! I'm glad you're able to relax - just what you need to recoup and recover from all your hard work outdoors. Enjoy your restful day and take care.

Ellen, I'm sorry to hear Don has manipulated Jim into lying and, as a result, Don will get away with his obscene behavior. In such cases, it helps to remember there is a higher form of justice that will set things right. Congratulations on learning Excel - it's an amazing program.

Nancy, I'm grieving the loss of summer and the warmer weather, as well. It's turned positively cold here - I've had to unpack my winter coat - brrrr. My heart goes out to Katy. As she comes across reminders of happier days with her husband, it must break her heart anew. Divorce is difficult.

To answer your question about the bookstore, sweetie and I are truly okay with the latest developments. When we began the process of purchasing the store, we vowed to remain 'unattached to outcome', knowing there were many different ways the deal could fall through. We're happy to coast with things the way they are, sweetie enjoys his work and all is well. Stay warm, my dear.

Linda, I'm sorry your mom has been struggling with health issues again. It must be difficult to watch a loved-one's health decline, particularly as you struggle with your own health issues.

Sweetie and I are looking forward to a Halloween party on Saturday night (I hope to feel well enough to go). We are dressing as Mortitia and Gomaz; our costumes are ready but we still need to practice our shtick. I'm planning to make and bring 'kitty litter cake', after seeing a post about it here. I expect it will be gross-a-licious. I'm looking forward.

My main agenda items today are a shower & shampoo and a weight-watchers meeting. Beyond that and some reading, I have a few small things to do:

empty wastebaskets
    put dishes away
    fold & put laundry away
    make bed
    water plants

God bless,
    Anne Theresa

12. AnneTheresa

AnneTheresa Member

It's 5 o'clock a.m., hours before my usual wake-up time but for some reason, I'm up and ready to begin the day. Knowing I can get a nap later, I'm happy to follow the whims of my sleep cycle and use the quiet of morning to read & write.

Early next week, sweetie and I are going to Toronto for two days to celebrate twenty years together. We're staying in a nice hotel and have tickets to see A Chorus Line. I'm looking forward and hope to feel well for the occasion.

I went shopping last eve. after my weight-watchers meeting to buy an anniversary gift for sweetie. To replace his well-worn book-bag, I bought him a lovely soft briefcase with a long strap so he can strap it around his shoulders & waist when he rides his bike to work. The briefcase has a built-in wallet section (a wonderful idea since he hates carrying a wallet) and, to fit inside the briefcase, I bought a 2009 day-planner.

The other small gift I plan to buy today, a medal of St. John of God who is the patron saint of booksellers or, failing that, St. Francis, patron of ecology and merchants. I'll get a small chain so he can wear the medal around his neck, if he so chooses. He's doesn't usually wear jewelery but this may be simple & small enough to suit him. If not, the medal can be slipped inside one of the many pockets of his briefcase. I just love giving gifts!

To-Do today

Manicure appointment, black nail polish for Halloween
    Eyebrows waxed, if I can get a walk-in appointment. I missed my regular appointment last week due to feeling poorly and now my brows look ragged and unkempt - I have no idea how women do their own eyebrows - ouch!
    Shopping; religion store, pharmacy, grocery store
    Nap, read & rest
    Wrap anniversary gifts
    Bake cakes for kitty litter cake (I'll assemble tomorrow)
    If I have the energy, I'll make dinner, egg noodles w/ tomatoes & spinach. If I'm too tired to cook, sandwiches will suffice.

Have a good day, all.

God bless,
    Anne Theresa
  13. alaska3355

alaska3355 New Member

Anne Theresa- I have seen a kitty litter cake, and they do look gross! Does yours come complete with tootsie rolls? And a pooper scooper? Have fun at the party!

Grammy- enjoy your snoozy day. Sounds like you are all set up.....even dinner ready in the fridge!

Linda- Sorry to hear about all the health problems in your family. Yes, I am learning patience with Mother here. Today she will meet a new doctor.....she's a bit nervous about it. This one is a woman GP, so I hope they hit it off. We'll be there too.

Nancy- you said you didn't like the new board's "lack of privacy".....I'm wondering what you mean. I can't look up anyone's bios or posts anymore, so it seems rather closed. Maybe I'm not doing something right.....Sorry about Katy being sad. You wish your kids didn't have to go through that.

My to do list revolves around Mother's doctor appointment. We will go shopping afterwards......she enjoys the outings. I will too!

14. sorekitty

sorekitty New Member

I'm on the edge here. Barely hanging on. With all of our many stressors ds was sent home on Wednesday because of lice. There is an outbreak at the elementary school. So I have had to keep him home the rest of the week. I do not know a thing about this stuff. I did the tx on Wed afternoon. Today I think I am seeing nits but I don't know. I have to call the hair cutter back to see if she will give him a buzz cut. They don't do that with active lice but i did do the tx so I will see if she can do it or not. I do not know a darn thing about cutting hair. I am exhausted from laundering everything; sheets, pillows, pillow cases,hats etc in hot water. I cannot get anything done when he is home. He is stir crazy and I have to take him to the park or something.

My dh is going to his branch office to talk to the owner about his career path since we don't know when the stocks and bonds market will come back.

I need to buy a rather large bottle of wine for tonight.

Hugs to all. . .

P.S. Has anyone heard from Lenorer since her wedding?

P.P.S. My head feels itchy but my dh said he doesn't see anything and I don't know if I am just completely freaked and itchy or if I have lice. We have had really hot dry weather and all my skin is itchy! AAAARRRRRGGGGG!!!!!!!
  15. EllenComstock

EllenComstock New Member

Hi, Girls:

Well, I'm glad it's Friday. The end of another busy week. I'm getting more used to this board, thankfully.

I haven't seen my girlfriend with the six kids in awhile so I think I will drive out there (they live about fifteen minutes from work in the country). I have several things to give her so I'd like to clean out my car. I've decided to take Jim along. He doesn't live too far from her so I can take him home afterward. All I have to do when I get home is finish the laundry. I think we'll have eggs for dinner tonight. Something simple.

Do all of you have a hard time maintaining friendships? I am always so busy between working and maintaining my home and spending time with my husband that there isn't much energy and time left for friends. But I know that friends are important. I have three girlfriends. The girlfriend I am seeing today I have been friends with since high school.

To-do list:

-get Jim's hair cut
    -stop at the drug store
    -see my girlfriend
    -finish laundry

To-do for the weekend:

-clean laundry tub
    -pull out annual flowers (they have been killed by the frost)
    -vacuum carpet in basement

Have a good weekend, everyone!

16. hugs4evry1

hugs4evry1 New Member

Good Morning all...

Anne Theresa, I hope you have a wonderful celebration with your Sweetie, your gifts sound wonderful and well thought out.

Ellen, I basically have no friends here in Germany, they've all moved away and I've spent so much time sick that I haven't been out to meet more people. Sometimes even calling my friends back home is difficult because of the time difference and I don't do well in the afternoons.

Molly, just a few pieces of advice...everyone in the home has to be treated for lice. You included. Also, treat the car too as the back of the head hits the seat and lice can and will jump around there too.

Although everything is difficult at this time, treat your furniture as well, then put sheets over where this particular person sits and limit them to that place. It's a bit of a pain, but it helps.

All caps and coats have to be treated as well. Stuffed animals, pillows, clothing, bedding and all the obvious things have to be treated. Some things can just be put in the dryer on high as this will help to kill the nits.

Vacuum all the furniture, then throw away the bag. If lice isn't treated properly and you miss a spot, it just comes back. That's how I found out about the car, couldn't figure out what I was missing until I remembered that their little heads connect with the seats in the car.

Why do I remember this so well? Cause both my kids came home from kindergarten with it and it's so difficult to get rid of and even 20 years ago, it cost me at least $100.00 to treat it each time. And yes, it was exhausting. Best of luck to you....

I think hubby and I will try to do some storage cleaning today so we can fit in the things we don't have room for anymore since Katy moved in.

Also, someone asked about the privacy issue....anyone on the internet can now read our threads instead of those who are members. We all know who I talk about most so my intention is always to protect her privacy as best as I can.

Hugs all,

17. greygodess

greygodess New Member

you all sound really busy this week. Not alot happening here. Saw 6 deer at the nature center. Two sets of three. The biggest one kept chasing the other set away from the food. I felt bad for the smallest one that kept sneaking up and getting chased away.

Sorry to hear about the head lice. We had it a few times. One time it kept coming back and we found out that our nephew had it and his mother was told that washing his hair would get rid of it. So we did the treatments and then my son would play with his cousin and get it all over again. We just did the hair treatments and washed clothing and bedding and that was it. Vacuumed the bed. Didn't treat every room or the cars. Seemed to work. Hope you get rid of the critters. Godbless