To do list: February 11 through 17

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by EllenComstock, Feb 10, 2008.

1. EllenComstock

EllenComstock New Member

Hi, Girls:

I'm starting the post again this week. But I don't mind. It's whoever gets on here first. Today is a little sad for me. Ten years ago my dad died. Hard to believe it's been that long. I was really close to him and we were so much alike. I still miss him so much.

We had a pretty quiet weekend. I've been having a lot of low back pain off and on all last week and it really hit me hard on Saturday so I was on the heating pad a lot. Plus, I was feeling achy. By Sunday I was feeling better.

My husband has a doctor appt. this afternoon and he wants me to go with him. He wants to have his doctor change his medication for his depression. It's not that he's real depressed, but he feels it could help more and it does affect his performance sexually. He kept saying that he needed to go to the doctor, but I was the one who had to make the call and schedule the appt. Anyone here have that problem getting their husband to go to the doctor?

And as for my four-day workweeks, I will try to get over to the library sometimes so that I will keep up with talking with all of you. I am so looking forward to having an extra day a week to myself, especially during this cold weather. When I got up this morning, it was only one degree.

Kim: That's the encouraging words about the Excel class. I just know I can't give up on myself. And I am looking forward to my four-day workweeks!

Anne Theresa: I find that ice packs help my neck pain more than heat. It really numbs the area. I hope you are feeling better soon.

Lacey: Lights bother me, too. I am also sensitive to noise and smells. I think that's why I find shopping so tiring, too.

Terri: I'm sorry you had to cancel out your recital with your students, but having to drive through an area with unsafe mountain roads would be very nerve racking. I know I wouldn't want to do it.

To-do list:

-go to husband's dr. appt.
    -mop kitchen floor
    -finish grocery list
    -pork steaks for dinner
    -mend a blouse

Talk to everyone tomorrow!

2. AnneTheresa

AnneTheresa Member

My pain is down :) and so I'd like to get out of the house for a bit this afternoon.

The sun is shining and reflects off the abundant snow; a bright, white, almost-blinding light. If I go out today, I'll need to wear sunglasses.

To-Do Today

- catch up on e-mail
    - confirm tickets reserved for upcoming play
    - clean fish bowl
    - dust family photos; glass & frames
    - sweep/damp mop
    - elliptical machine

Take care of yourself today, Ellen. I know how difficult & painful those special anniversaries can be.

God Bless,
    Anne Theresa
    [This Message was Edited on 02/11/2008]
  3. ksp56

ksp56 Member

I cannot believe it's the beginning of another week... Time passes to quickly.

Thank you for starting the thread, Ellen. I was hoping I'd wake up early enough to do so! I had my alarm set, and turned it off. I'm tired and I believe it's this horrid weather, along with the lack of sun.

Ellen: My heart goes out to you and missing your Dad. When looking ahead, ten year's seems so long, but when it actually arrive's, it does seem like it was just yesterday. I will be thinking of you today. I'm sending many gentle hug's your way.

As far as trying to get DH's to the doctor..HA! Jim puts off anything having to do with a doctor. I also know it is very hard for a man to go in and talk about anything of a sexual manner. I know! Hopefully, there will be a med that will help him with both issues.

I hope you are feeling better!

To everyone else: I hope your weekend was a good one. Whatever good is for each of us..

4. greygodess

greygodess New Member

about your dad. My dad died 10 years ago this June.

Mon- sub on a bowling league. Take the son's families out to dinner where Spongebob will be appearing.

Wed-make cookies for the cookie walk at church

Thurs- attend shawl ministry

Fri--help work the fish fry at church.

Busy week for me. Godbless
  5. hugs4evry1

hugs4evry1 New Member

Good morning all...

Ellen, so sorry to hear you had a rough time with that anniversary. I know how hard they can be and sometimes it just pops up and grabs you when you least expect it.

Yes, I have troubles getting my hubby to the doctor, so I often just make his appts for him. I know anti-depressants can be more tricky for men, they often interfere with sexual performance, and not in a good way.

Anne Theresa, I'm glad you had a day with less pain and took some moments to enjoy it.

Terri, I'm glad you didn't take a chance on the recitals. I know it's disappointing, yet safety first.

My daughter is coming in today so I can take her to her psych appt on another nearby base. She likes this doctor so hopefully it will go well.

Although it's early yet, I'm feeling a bit more human today so hopefully I'll be up to doing this and driving.

Hugs all,

Also, I love seeing new posters join our group...welcome all!
  6. EllenComstock

EllenComstock New Member

Hi, Girls:

Thanks for your comforting words about the anniversary of my dad's death. I actually got through yesterday quite well until last night. I made the mistake of watching a Lifetime movie where the mom died leaving two teenage daughters. The description of the movie didn't say anything about anyone dying or I wouldn't have watched it on the anniversary of my dad's death. It wasn't a good idea. I ended up having a good cry. But maybe I needed to. But I keep reminding myself that I will see him and my mother again someday. I sometimes wonder how people who do not believe in an afterlife and God deal with losing loved ones.

It's nice to know I'm not the only one with problems getting my husband to the doctors! Then they weighed my husband he was quite surprised at what he weighed! I didn't see the numbers, but my husband was wearing his coat at the time and he kept saying that his coat must weigh quite a bit! I did get him to admit that his clothes have been getting tighter.

I wish I could get him to try and lose weight life I've been doing. I know I've lost at least eight pounds, maybe more by now. My doctor won't weigh my again until March. I just know that my clothes are getting looser. I used to drive myself crazy getting on the scales and I'm not doing that any more. I don't even know what I weigh. Eventually I will want to know.

Linda: Me working a four-day work week is just a temporary schedule. I have a lot of vacation time. I have so much that if I don't use some of it I will lose 21 hours by July. So I am taking Fridays off for the next six weeks or so and also will be taking off mid-semester break. I actually have 10 weeks of vacation time (half-days) to use.

Nancy: How is your daughter doing? I'm glad she likes this doctor and hope the appt. goes okay.

Kim: I had to laugh when you talked about your husband talking to the doctor about sex. My husband was so embarrassed yesterday when we talked about sex! He said he couldn't believe it when I brought up orgasms like it was no big deal! I'm normally such a shy person.

Anne Theresa: I'm so glad you are feeling better and can get out of the house. Take care and don't overdo.

To-do list:

-dentist appt.
    -get groceries (husband is helping)
    -pool therapy class
    -put away yesterday's dishes (done)
    -empty wastebaskets

Take care, everyone. I'll be back tomorrow!

7. alaska3355

alaska3355 New Member

Our snow is melting and the boys are enjoying all of the "lakes" around our yard- they came in soaking from jumping in them yesterday! Boys will be boys.

This will be short as I have to get them up soon for jazz band. They attend jazz band every morning at 7:00 a.m.- I think it would be a hard time to play jazz, but they seem to like it.

My hubby and older son are out of town for a few for hubby and he wanted a friend to come along. My son hasn't found work yet, so he's pretty available. I hope they enjoy each other's company while away.

Meanwhile, the house is pretty quiet. I hope all of you are getting some spring weather (or at least sunshine!). It really feels good to have some warmer temps.

8. AnneTheresa

AnneTheresa Member

I had a short break from pain yesterday. Unfortunately, today I'm back to what I've (sadly) come to consider as normal.

I saw my doctor this morning and he suggested I switch anti-d's to see if it might help with pain. I agreed and so I'm going to come off wellbrutin and onto remerin. Hopefully the process will not be too disruptive and will be helpful in the long-term.

rest with ice-packs
    clean kitchen
    vacuum - maybe
    to the mall with friend

God bless,
    Anne Theresa
  9. hugs4evry1

hugs4evry1 New Member

Good Morning all....

Well things are coming to a boil around here...the doc appt did go well in a sense for my daughter, but the doc called me in since her husband couldn't be at the appt and let me know that her meds have to be dispensed to her and controlled from her.

She admitted to abusing her meds, not just the other night when she ended up in the ER again. She's become inventive in hurting herself and at this point seems determined to do so.

She'll be spending the day with me again, since she can't be trusted to spend the day alone anymore.

We began the discussion last night about hospitalization and we need to continue this tonight. In my opinion, it's time and it's time for a long term stay, not just a few days.

We've been avoiding hospitalization up to a point because the SIL has been told it will mean new orders for him to the states if they can't take care of her here. At this point, who's to say it wouldn't be a good thing for her though.

In my opinion, I think there's a part of her that's doing these things on purpose, perhaps even testing his love for her to see if he's willing to do what's necessary to see her to wellness.

How many signs do we need? I don't know...but I wish I was better able to get my point across at 6:00pm when the guys get home, but it's not a good time for me, too tired.

So for today, I'll probably need to go back to base to get her more meds. I went to bed last night just soul deep tired and she called and woke me up this morning to let me know she was out. I'm sure that'll be fun explaining it to the pharmacist, but he's good, kind and very understanding of the problems we have with her.

The 24/7 watch begins today...and I'm tired and a bit angry too. There just isn't a way for me to hide my meds or sharp objects in this house but I have warned her that I will kick her arse if she tries anything here, she knows better. I'll have her in a hospital so quick it'll make her head spin!

Hugs to all and thanks for listening...

10. EllenComstock

EllenComstock New Member

Hi, Girls:

We had several more inches of snow last night. I will be so glad when February is over. We've had nothing but snow and cold weather. I am surprised I'm not hurting more. I am thankful my lower back pain is gone.

I'm not sure how much I've talked about this, but my brother, Jim, has been put on a diet. Thankfully, the group home, his guardian, the Hope Center and I all work well together. His next doctor appt. is next week and his doctor has said that if he gains even one more pound, he will be taken off the Seroquel. So far he has gained 40 pounds on it. There is a high risk of diabetes in our family. We all hate to see that happen as he has been doing so well.

Of course Jim doesn't see the urgency in keeping his weight down and I can't get him to stop buying sweets. So far he isn't protesting too much about the diet. My husband and I got him a cell phone. With having to buy phone cards all the time we figured that would keep him so broke (he loves to talk on the phone) then he wouldn't have money to buy sweets. Whether this will help in time for his dr. appt, I don't know.

Nancy: Oh, Nancy, I feel so bad for you! The stress you and your husband must be going through. Maybe putting her in the hospital would be the best thing for her right now. It would take some of the stress off of you from having to watch her all the time. I remember my mother sitting with Jim years ago when he was so bad and how much it took out of her. You have to take care of yourself, too. It seems so inadequate, but here's a big hug for you (((((hug)))))). I'll keep you and your family in my thoughts and prayers.

Anne Theresa: I hope that the antidepressant will help you. I've been on an antidepressant for a long time. Maybe that why I'm not having constant flares like I used to. I'll keep my fingers crossed that this helps you.

To-do list:

-lunch with Jim
    -put away dishes (done)

11. alaska3355

alaska3355 New Member

Happy Valentine's Day! I hope you all have a good day and that someone is very nice to you today!

I'm making Eggs Benedict this morning for breakfast. I don't have special dinner plans, so breakfast will be the special meal. Hubby LOVES eggs benedict, but can't have it too often- high cholesterol. He is starting to like an Eggbeaters type product that he scrambles, and I feel better about him eating it. So far, neither of us has lost weight and we both need to. I need to quit cooking and just make salads!

The twins both have secret crushes in band, and want to sneak some candy to them without them knowing who gave it to them. They are trying to work out how to do it, so that no one knows, but I think they'll just try to show up early and put it on their stands. They are both worried someone will see them! I'll let you know how it goes.

Nancy- I hope you get a break from watching your daughter- it sounds very draining. It all falls on you, I'm afraid. Keep your strength up and rest when you can- I'll be praying for you.

Ellen- Enjoy your 4 day workweeks! Sounds like you will!

Take care and here's a hug,
  12. EllenComstock

EllenComstock New Member

Hi, Girls:

Happy Valentine's Day! My husband and I just did cards and are going out for a Valentine's lunch today.

I think I am going to love this new work schedule! Here it is Thursday and already my weekend is almost here! In less than two hours! We are having my in-laws and Jim over tomorrow for a turkey dinner. I am not making the traditional turkey dinner-way too much work. No dressing-too fattening. I am going to try a bean recipe and hope everyone likes it. Fresh fruit for dessert. With Jim and I watching our weight, I have to change the menu somewhat.
    Jim is also spending Friday night with us and going home Saturday.

Plus, my mother-in-law just went to the doctor's for a check-up and found out she has type two diabetes. She also didn't make out well on her bone density test. So she will be needing to make some diet changes as well.

I will try to get back on here before Monday. I will be thinking of all of you and wondering how everyone is doing, especially Nancy.

To-do list:

-drop off Jim's lunches for next week at the Hope Center
    -Valentine Luncheon with husband
    -pool therapy class
    -vacuum laundry room

Weekend list:

-lunch with Jim and Harry on Saturday
    -take Jim home
    -wash sheets and towels
    -go to the library
    That's all I can think of for now

Have a good weekend, everyone!

13. alaska3355

alaska3355 New Member

Linda- one of the boys actually went through with it, the other chickened out. The one boy took his candy and stuck it in her music folder before she got there, then he sat grinning like a Cheshire cat when she wondered who it was from. The girls around her asked the other brother, who let the cat out of the bag. But I think the girl was pleasantly surprised to get the candy, even tho she forgot to say thank you.

I did a microwave hollandaise sauce for the eggs benedict, and it was yummy. So much easier than a double boiler....let me know if anyone wants the recipe.

I'm subbing on organ in a different church this Sunday- I always enjoy the chance to play organ. It will be fun!

Take care, all
  14. hugs4evry1

hugs4evry1 New Member

Good morning all...

I want to take a minute to thank you all for both your kind words and prayers....I treasure the support I find with you all.

It's a 4 day weekend here so my husband has the day off and my daughter will be spending these 4 days at home with her husband.

They brought all of their medications here to my house so I have everything hidden except for her weekly meds which he can keep an eye on for her. They even brought the OTC stuff too, which is probably smart thinking.

I don't want you all to worry too much, she'll be spending next week with us too since her husband is leaving for the states.

She actually does much better here with me. It's almost (and I stress almost) like things are fine when she's here. She's safe, and she knows she's free to be herself (my sweetheart of a nutcase) And she knows she's loved no matter what kind of day she's having....Everything here is out in the open.

The days are much like having a 5 yr old in the house again. She goes to bed with Spongebob dvds and couldn't be happier. But everything is taken care of for her. No cleaning and responsibilities on her shoulders which is often what she needs.

At the moment, my guess is that she feels better for letting the truth come out to her husband and he did very good that night after we had the discussion of a long term hospitalization (finally)

He told her at home that night that if he died tomorrow, the military would find someone else to replace him in his job, but he can not be replaced as her husband, his most important job in the world....whew, he came through for her and I think she really needed to know that. I sense relief in her from this....just what she needed to hear.

Ellen, I worry for Jim with the danger of changing meds (that work) because of the weight gain, but I do understand. If I could go back in time though, I never would have had them change my daughter off of the Seroquel. Finding a med that works is a miracle although the health side effects can be alarming.

Linda, I hope you feel better soon. Thyroid problems can mimic so many FM symptoms but much, much worse.

Terri, I loved hearing about the boys on Valentine's Day, so sweet!

And Terri, I've become a HUGE fan of Egg Beaters since I bought them for my Dad's visit. It only takes minutes to have a quick omelet in the mornings. The Southwestern kind tastes wonderful with the peppers and stuff already included.

Anne Theresa, good luck with your med change, although I've never found AD's to be of any help with the pain. I hope it helps you and brings you some relief....

Sorry to make this one so long all, and thanks for reading if you made it all the way through!

Not much on the list for today with hubby here....

Hugs all,

15. alaska3355

alaska3355 New Member

Nancy- I hope you get a well-deserved break this weekend, since your daughter is being watched. I'm glad to hear her hubby is coming around and that he puts her first- just what she needed to hear. I hope he stays for the long least he knows what to expect and still loves her.

Nancy- my boys are huge Spongebob fans as well!

Linda- I suppose you have heard that soy is bad for's good to avoid. I hope you are feeling better soon.

Homeschool and band
    Take some drycleaning in
    Practice organ
    Quiche for dinner

Have a good weekend,