To "dsames" - Chiropractic "science"

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by bakron, Jul 13, 2003.

1. bakron

bakron New Member

Chiropractic "science" is in the field of body mechanics, and I would think that the diagnoses that you mentioned on your post was given to you based on the medical diagnosis you were given. This would seem to be out of "the scope" of chiropractic "science." There are no actual "standards of practice" in chiropractic that I have found, therefore, chiropractors may practice how they choose. I've researched this type of practice to settle some of my own questions, and will share with you (and others on the board) some of the information that I found while researching; perhaps reading this will help you understand how the chiropractor that you went to was able to make "assumptions." Please read the following:

(The following information are excerpts from the American Chiropractic Association website.)

<font=4><b>What is Chiropractic?</b></font=4>

<b>Education</b>

<font=4><b>What is Chiropractic?</b></font=4>

<b>Education</b>

What are the current educational requirements to be a doctor of chiropractic?

Educational requirements for doctors of chiropractic are among the most stringent of any of the health care professions.

The typical applicant at a chiropractic college has already acquired nearly four years of pre-medical undergraduate college education, including courses in biology, inorganic and organic chemistry, physics, psychology and related lab work. Once accepted into an accredited chiropractic college, the requirements become even more demanding
    - four to five academic years of professional study are the standard. Because of the hands-on nature of chiropractic, and the intricate adjusting techniques, a significant portion of time is spent in clinical training.

Doctors of chiropractic - who are licensed to practice in all 50 states, the District of Columbia, and in many nations around the world - undergo a rigorous education in the healing sciences, similar to that of medical doctors. In some areas, such as anatomy, physiology, rehabilitation, nutrition and public health, they receive more intensive education than their MD counterparts.

Like other primary health care doctors, chiropractic students spend a significant portion of their curriculum studying clinical subjects related to evaluating and caring for patients. Typically, as part of their professional training, they must complete a minimum of a one-year clinical-based program dealing with actual patient care. In total, the curriculum includes a minimum of 4,200 hours of classroom, laboratory and clinical experience. The course of study is approved by an accrediting agency which is fully recognized by the U.S. Department of Education. This has been the case for more than 25 years.

This extensive education prepares doctors of chiropractic to diagnose health care problems, treat the problems when they are within their scope of practice and refer patients to other health care practitioners when appropriate."

<b>(MORE FROM THE SAME SITE . . contradicts some of above.)</b>

"To apply to a chiropractic college, a student is required to have at a minimum two years of pre-professional college education with a curriculum concentrated in the basic and biological sciences. Some chiropractic colleges are now requiring a bachelors degree."
    <hr>
    (The excerpts below are from the PBS website.)

"PBS Segment, "Adjusting the Joints," . . . explored the subject of chiropractic as a healing art and science. The segment delved into the origin and theory of chiropractic, presented a number of specific techniques via trained chiropractors and their patients, and raised questions about some aspects of chiropractic, including evidence for the underlying principle of "subluxations" and the connection between spine alignment and health, methods of diagnosis, and the safety of certain forms of neck adjustment."

"The underlying principle of chiropractic theory is that there is a direct association between the shape of the spine (the alignment of the vertebrae and the spine's curvature) and disease. Chiropractors claim that health problems can be caused by "subluxations," or blockages of nerve energy, which are caused by malpositioned vertebrae. By "adjusting" vertebra - manually exerting force on the spine so as to physically displace parts of the skeleton-chiropractors say they are removing the subluxation and hence allowing the body to heal itself. We felt it was important to review the scientific evidence for the existence of subluxations, as defined by chiropractors. We reviewed the scientific literature, with the guidance of a number of qualified medical sources, and concluded that there was no such evidence available in any form which would meet generally accepted scientific standards. On the contrary, there is scientific literature failing to find subluxations and associated phenomena stretching back thirty years, as was noted in the program."

"Invented by Daniel Palmer in 1895, chiropractic aims to correct blocked nerves - what Palmer claimed were the cause of all disease - by re-aligning the spine. But as former chiropractor John Badanes tells Alan, chiropractic has no basis in anatomy. Conducting a typical examination, Badanes explains how patients and chiropractors alike can misinterpret the popping sound that accompanies spinal adjustments. In fact it's dissolved gas being released in the joint fluid (the same thing that happens when you crack your knuckles) and not a sign that vertebrae are changing position - an anatomical impossibility."
    <hr>

2. Jen F

Jen F New Member

is the excerpt you included from the American Chiro Assoc....

that Chiro's are extensively trained, similar to M.D.'s and usually have 7 years of schooling behind them.

the section that says a minimun of 2 years pre-professional education does not contradict the prior statement "The typical applicant at a chiropractic college has already acquired nearly four years of pre-medical undergraduate college education ". I know of very few chiro's who were admitted to chiro college after only 2 years schooling. 2 years is a minimum requirement that is usually exceeded. from what i know, each applicant to Chiro college is not automatically accepted but judged according to their own personal academic merit, number of years of schooling and compared with other applicants before it is decided if they are accepted, and since most chiro applicants have their degree,....

The statement above that "vertebrae are changing position - an anatomical impossibility." is completely false. One of the ways a chiro checks to see where you need an adjustment is by checking the movement of your vertebrae. Where there is a subluxation, a vertebra will not move normally. If vertebrae never changed position slightly, we would not be able to bend at all from our neck to our sacrum. the fact that we can turn our head to the side is due to movement of the vertebrae on their joints. Only people who have fused areas of their spine cannot move the position of their vertebrae in that area.

Now, not talking about movement of large distances, it's micromovement, but enough that can impinge on nerves and impede flow of energy in the body, and why ultimately there is that popping noise when moved back into proper alignment.
  3. bakron

bakron New Member

I see a chiropractor that was recommended by a very good friend in the health field. The chiropractor that I see does not make medical calls, but works with the medical diagnoses that I have. We always discuss my physician visits and how I am doing on my medications, etc. My chiropractor does not sell supplements or other OTC meds to clients. I respect chiropractic work within the limits that <u>it should have</u>, and I am realistic when I approach what chiropractic care is, or any other method of the healing arts.

<c>From "jen F"</c>

<b>"One of the ways a chiro checks to see where you need an adjustment is by checking the movement of your vertebrae."</b>

Response:

I am not saying that people do not need physical adjustments to correct the problems related to their spinal column. Many of the physical problems that people seek chiropractic care for relate to muscle problems that are causing the misalignment, and those muscle problems need correction through therapy (i.e.; strengthening, and not only through alignment. Relief through through an orthopedic physician (conservative approach traction) and physical therapy might also be sought. If people have fibromyalgia, some of those exercises are very difficult and painful; likewise for those with CFS.

My main concerns are:

(1) Chiropractic providers purport . . "there is a direct association between the shape of the spine (the alignment of the vertebrae and the spine's curvature) and disease."

(2) Since there are no real "standards" in chiropractic care, chiropractic providers may open up a practice, make diagnoses, provide treatments, and recommend" many OTC items for various physical problems.

<c>From "ralph":</c>

<b>"Many traditional medical professionals seemed to be prejudiced and think that chiropractors are below them."</b>

Response:

I am a R.N. and have a great deal of respect for alternative methods of healing. I would not practice outside my scope of practice for nursing, and I do expect providers of alternative healing, or healing arts to do the same. There is no prejudice here, just looking at all things through objective scientific methodology. Doing so is the only way to have credible practices in any of the healing arts, including "traditional" medical professionals.

Conclusion:

It has many times previously been concluded after much objective investigation that there is no empirical scientific evidence from validated studies that provides any evidence for what the underlying principle of chiropractic theory is. <b>The underlying theory of chiropractic is that,</b> <u> "there is a direct association between the shape of the spine (the alignment of the vertebrae and the spine's curvature) and disease."</u>
  4. dsames

dsames New Member

Thank you so much for your replies.

I cancelled my chiro appt this morning, not because I thought there might be a prob. with what he is telling me, but because I have been sick all weekend to the point that I would have gone to the ER, but my husband also was not feeling well and didn't think he could sit there four hrs for them to do their tests, so I had to call my PCP this morning for an appt.

I have had a bad flare of IBS for three weeks now, finally yesterday, I did not have diarehea for the first time in 3 weeks, but do have cramping yet, so bad that I have to wonder about the appendix since the pain is in the cecum area, which is where I always have the pain for the 40 some years that I have had IBS flares. I hope we get this resolved because I don't feel I can go on feeling this sick.

I guess my main concern about the chiro was his saying he would like to try a "liver wash" whatever that is, and I wonder how he could know that my liver needs detox help.
    Have you ever heard of that, and would you be concerned if it were you. I donn't know what to do. I just know if we are going to wash "critters" out of my liver it would probably have to be through the intestines, and I don't want that again. I'm sick enough now. When I feel better I will digest your articles more thoroughly. I used to work in the health field at one time, and I am surely confused by this.
    Please help.
    Shirley

5. Jen F

Jen F New Member

a lot of alternative health practitioners recommend liver cleansing for people with our illness.

Some chiro's are trained in other alternative health modalities.

I don't know what to tell you about whether to take the product or not.

I take a very small amount of milk thistle, a liver cleanser, which is in my multivitamin prepared by my Naturopath and I have no problems with it.

but, my ibs is not as bad as yours, and I know that when i am having a real problem with something, I am very careful about taking anything new. I often prefer to stick with what I know and if I do try somethign new, I try it slowly and carefully and on it's own.

I hope you find some answers, you sound really fed up.

Have you tried not eating any wheat or gluten? Perhaps, like me, you have some of the attributes of celiac disease. I am able to keep my mild ibs in check usually by avoiding wheat and by eating lots of cooked veggies and using metamucil every day and a very good probiotic. Have you tried any or all of those?

good luck.

J.