To Exercise or NOT to Exercise?!!!??

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by jenifurlii, Sep 2, 2002.

1. jenifurlii

jenifurlii New Member

I am currently looking forward to getting a referral from my GP for physical therapy. I haven't been exercising at all so I hope that it will not be a system shocker! I have done exercise regimens off and on for years, but I have a very hard time finding my happy medium. It seems that I have a very hard time controlling and knowing how much, what intensity, how long, how often I should be exercising. Of course I always end up in FLARE UP CITY if I am not extremely careful!!
    Does anyone know the secret to how much, how long, what intensity is best? Everyone is at a different level with their FMS so maybe there is not one generic answer to my question. Hmmmm...Did I just answer my own questions?
    =0)
  2. jenifurlii

jenifurlii New Member

I am currently looking forward to getting a referral from my GP for physical therapy. I haven't been exercising at all so I hope that it will not be a system shocker! I have done exercise regimens off and on for years, but I have a very hard time finding my happy medium. It seems that I have a very hard time controlling and knowing how much, what intensity, how long, how often I should be exercising. Of course I always end up in FLARE UP CITY if I am not extremely careful!!
    Does anyone know the secret to how much, how long, what intensity is best? Everyone is at a different level with their FMS so maybe there is not one generic answer to my question. Hmmmm...Did I just answer my own questions?
    =0)
  3. garyandkim

garyandkim New Member

Water hydrotheropy and Chrio. Good luck, Kim
  4. kadywill

kadywill New Member

Jen,
    When I'm not so depressed and reclusive, I make myself enroll in the Aquatherapy class at the Rehab department at how hospital. The registration is via the local community college and is $65.00 a quarter. I am a nurse and I go right after work on M, W, and Fridays for an hour. The buoyancy and the heat of the water help the pain immensely, but I find that I have a headache each time I go. My BP is uncontrolled and this may be a factor, as may be the Chlorine.
    In health,
    Kady
  5. klutzo

klutzo New Member

is that it does not really exercise you in the traditional sense. In fact, the last time I had a course of PT, I completely lost my fitness level, because I had no time to do my regular aerobic workout and go to PT also. It took a month to get back in shape. Since aerobic fitness is so important to FMS, I would advise anyone getting PT to try to keep up with it even if you're short on time.
    Klutzo
  6. sybil

sybil New Member

on the individual and their current state of health i.e. if your condition is bad at the moment exercise may make it worse.
    i am awaiting Prescribed physio/warm water therapy,it starts on Sept.30th..i will let you know how good/bad i find it!
    good luck.

sybilxxx