To exercise or to not

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by steph3is1, Jun 3, 2009.

1. steph3is1

steph3is1 New Member

I am 22, I was diagnosed with FM at 15. I know I am extremely young to have this syndrome, nevertheless, it is very real. I exercise daily and always am sure to stretch many times a day. The past year has been great- no flare ups, restful sleep and feeling normal. But this last month, sparked by an extremely low tide (with the worst migraine I've ever had) the flare is getting to be the worst ever. I hurt so much I don't want to get out of bed, but I know that my stretching and exercise has been what keeps the flares down, so I suck it up and do it anyway. The last week I've slept 16 hours + daily (which isn't enough) and feel excruciating pain throughout my body. Just walking is a chore.

My worry is this, should I attempt the same routine that has been keeping me healthy or take a break and hope this flare passes over? I'm terrified to make this worse. I don't have much time to work with. I'm a PE coach, and gymnastic and cheer coach as well. Classes begin in 2 weeks. I'm not expecting a cure, but does anyone have any ideas at all that might make this less painful. I will lose my job if I can't get this under control.

Thank you for any ideas!
  2. meedmo42

meedmo42 New Member

Have you ever considered taking a med for the pain? I take muscle relaxant when the tightness becomes a problem and something for the pain. I know some people hate to rely on meds, but I find that I would rather take them and continue with my life then to be down for an extended period of time as I was for a number of years before diagnosis. People say......well, I don't want to get addicted. The only thing I am addicted to is being without pain, or having the ability to live life as normal as possible. I don't take them when I am feeling better, and have done this for a number of years. At least try it. Hoping you have a doctor who can work with you on this. I am glad that you had such a good period of health. And yes, even children get this in some cases. Men, too. But it is rare in these cases. I surely wish you all the best.
    Mary E.
  3. satchya

satchya New Member

Welcome to the sucky balancing act that is fm. I agree with meedmo42's response above that sometimes meds are the best answer. Pain can warn you that you have an injury and need to slow down or stop, but since our pain isn't a "warning", it just gets in the way of accomplishing the things we want/need to do for no good reason. If taking something for pain and muscle spasms is what it takes to keep your job, then by all means, see what your doctor is willing to prescribe you.

I know that I, too, feel better with regular exercise. I feel pain if I don't exercise, and pain if I do exercise. But at least if I DO exercise I also feel pride in my body's shape, fitness, etc. I get social interaction at the gym, get to wear cuter clothes, get lower cholesterol, more endorphins, etc. I really, really enjoy dancing and just began the process of getting AFAA certified to teach cardio dance. I hurt like hades all over but at least I'm doing what I love. I could take up competitive couch surfing instead, but I'm willing to bet that after several weeks of deconditioning I'd still hurt like hades, just for different reasons.

Definitely talk to your doctor about getting something stronger to take for bad days, make sure to explain that your job is on the line.

p.s.--that's cool that you're a cheer coach! I did cheer in high school and loved it. I want to teach cardio dance to kids at YMCA's, boys and girls clubs, afterschool programs, etc., once I'm certified. Every time I do the moves I choreographed to Gwen Stefani's Hollaback Girl I think about how much I loved doing cheer. :)