to go to the doctor or to not go to the doctor?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by KMD90603, Mar 4, 2007.

1. KMD90603

KMD90603 New Member

...that is the question. This seems to be a never-ending saga. One day I hope to post about how wonderful and full of energy I feel. But for now, my fever has finally broken. My throat still hurts and I have a real bad cough. I don't think it's the flu, but I do think it's a bad chest cold. I'm actually wondering if it may have turned into bronchitis. My chest hurts so badly every time I cough. I've been resting all weekend and drinking lots of chicken noodle soup and hot tea.

Unfortunately, I have school and work tomorrow, so it'll be a long day. My husband did buy me some good medication at the store, which is starting to kick in now. It's helping with the cold symptoms, but this cough is relentless. It feels like a burning in my chest every time I cough. I've only had bronchitis one other time, so I'm not too familiar with how it feels.

This week will be a busy one, but I have my final on friday and then I have a whole week off from school for spring break. At least I'm sick now rather than on spring break, that wouldn't be much of a break.

Time to go to sleep now. Thanks to everyone for all of your wonderful support. You guys are honestly the best bunch of people I've ever met. Nobody else understands how I feel like everyone on these boards. It helps me feel like I'm not so alone.

Hugs to all,
    Kim
  2. Shalala

Shalala New Member

Gosh Kim ... it is a big toss up. Sounds like you are young? If the OTC stuff works for you ... great. I am 53 and was worried about something MAJOR being wrong with me and it seems like I have wasted many years (and LOTS of money) with DRs and tests and meds. When I was younger I did the OTC route until it got to the point I was going to the ER. Then I got in the cycle of DR after DR after DR ... still in pain years later.

Good luck (((((((((((( hugs ))))))))))))
  3. justjanelle

justjanelle New Member

In my experience (I get bronchitis about every 1 - 2 years and pneumonia every 4 - 5 years) if it's a deep, harsh cough that has bothered you more than a few days, particularly if it's worse when you lie down, then you probably have bronchitis. Even if you're not coughing anything up.

If, when you're lieing down, you feel a rattle in your chest, or a sensation like hundreds of tiny bubbles popping inside when you breathe (usually accompanied by chills/fever, and coughing up green or yellow gunk) and are having trouble with breathing and fatigue even when you're upright -- then it's usually gone into pneumonia.

I'd really suggest getting in to see the doctor for an exam.

Hope you feel better soon.

Janelle
  4. KMD90603

KMD90603 New Member

Thanks guys,for your replies to my post. I've decided that tomorrow I'll make an appointment for the doctor. My fever had broken, however, it's starting to go up again. A normal cold I shouldn't have a fever this long. Plus, I cannot go to work like this and give it to all my patients. So, I'm going to go to one of my classes tomorrow and skip the afternoon one. That way, it'll make time for me to go to the doctor.

Hugs,
    Kim