To have a hysterectomy or not

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by karkel, Jan 22, 2011.

1. karkel

karkel New Member

I have other issues and OBGYN has mentioned a hysterectomy since my FM gets worse around period....would that stop if I had a hysterectomy ? Did women get better with FM systoms after menopause ?
  2. msbsgblue

msbsgblue Member

No I don't believe it will get rid of fibro and no after menopause did not help.
  3. karkel

karkel New Member

was the pains worse around your period,mine are
  4. TigerLilea

TigerLilea Active Member

Are you considering a total hysterectomy or just having your uterus removed?
  5. karkel

karkel New Member

keep my ovaries I have fibroids and cysts
  6. TigerLilea

TigerLilea Active Member

I was wondering if you were considering having your ovaries removed. As the ovaries serve a purpose most doctors don't want to remove them unless absolutely necessary. Even though you will no longer have your periods, your hormones will still continue to act in the same way. You will still go through perimenopause/menopause if you haven't already done so.

If you do have the hysterectomy, be sure to get your falopian tubes removed as they now know that most ovarian cancers start in the tubes and spread to the ovaries. Here in Canada, they are now recommending anyone who is getting a tubal ligation or hysterectomy have their tubes removed.
  7. JLH

JLH New Member

Having a hysterectomy was the BEST surgery that I have ever had!!! It was also the easiest!!

It is so easy, if done vaginally, that you have to watch and not overdo it when you get home.

I just had a partial -- kept my ovaries.

It eliminated a lot of my backaches and my major headaches. I don't think it changed my fibro symptoms though ... it was done about 30 years ago, at the age of 30, so I really can't remember.

All I know is that I don't regret having it for one minute!! I already had 3 children, so I did not worry about not being able to have any more children. It relieved me of all the back pain that I was having due to a prolasped uterus, etc.