To Help You When You Paint

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by Mikie, May 27, 2006.

1. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

OMG! I just looooove this idea I got from watching HGTV.

Most new homes are all white, ceilings and walls too. When we decide to paint a wall, we soon find how hard it is to get a nice clean line at the ceiling. I don't have a steady hand anymore. Here's what you do:

Go around the room and make little tick marks at 2 1/2 or 3 inches from the ceiling on the walls. Tape off the walls with the blue paint tape so that the color comes up to the bottom of the tape which, for me, was 2 1/2 inches. Paint up to the tape and pull it off while the paint is still wet. You need to pull away from the paint and not down against it.

This is a very elegant look and actually makes the walls appear a bit taller. No need for crown moulding. One could use inexpensive moulding along the line but it looks very clean and fresh with just the paint.

No more straining one's neck backward to see through the bottom of one's glasses. No more time consuming and tedious painting along the ceiling line. Most houses aren't square and it is impossible to get a straight line. I've even tried to score the ceiling line with a spatula blade and it didn't help. This method is brilliant.

I can only do a very little area at a time and it takes me forever to do things around here but my bedroom is the last room I'm painting and this is making it sooooo much easier. I wish I had known this trick before I painted the other two bedrooms.

Hope this helps someone here.

Love, Mikie
  2. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

3. springrose22

springrose22 New Member

Thanks for that info. I can see how it would work well. Have been planning some painting around here for some time now, you know, when you're lying down you have to do something! Great idea! Marie
  4. 1sweetie

1sweetie New Member

Sounds like a great idea. The interior of my home needs to be painted but I can not tolerate the smell. I have chemical sensitivity and paint is a major issue.

The last time I had my old home painted, I had to move out and have it painted when the windows to the home could be opened.

Do you use a special paint?

5. mrpain

mrpain New Member

SHHHHHH.......Not so loud; My wife may hear or see me reading this!

That's all she's been talking about. Painting and buying new carpet..
  6. JLH

JLH New Member

I wish I were still able to paint! Haven't been for years!

Sounds like a good idea. I'll keep it in mind for the next time we have someone paint for us--I'll just tell them!!!

I absolutely LOVE watching HGTV and all the home decorating shows that are on other channels, too!

Janet
  7. sues1

sues1 New Member

Sherwin Williams carries a special paint for us that are sensitive. I am super sensitive and this does not bother me. Also it is a good paint and wears well, etc........

My arms, shoulders, neck will not allow me to paint. I would love to. Susan
  8. fairydust39

fairydust39 New Member

That is a great idea Mikie! Another thing that I have learned is: If you are going to use border and paint the ceiling a lighter shade (White,cream) I paint down about 2 inches with the ceiling paint,so when putting up border the paint lines don't show. I put border in all my rooms and I like the way it looks.
    Hugs Shirley
  9. petsrme

petsrme Member

Mikie that is a great idea!! Thank you for sharing. I love HGTV, but I have never saw that idea or thought of it. I have one room in my house that has paint on the ceiling from when we painted it a few years ago. It gets on my nerves every time I look at it. I wish I had thought of your idea when we painted it. I will next time.
  10. carebelle

carebelle New Member

I read somewhere if you put some pure vanilla extract in a fresh can of paint it will take away the bad smell that give us all headache. We tried it and it worked ,it won't change the color of the paint.
  11. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

For the good tips and the laughs. Also, for sharing your own projects.

I usually just get my paint from Lowe's; they sell Olympic paint. The Bear paint at Home Depot sucks. I found just the right color at Wal-Mart and it's Dutch Boy, so I thought it would be good. It doesn't cover as well as the Olympic but it dries very quickly and doesn't have the odor that other paints seem to have. I always crank on the AC to keep it cool and dry in here when I paint and I turn on the ceiling fan and my air cleaners. The smell doesn't bother me.

I hate it that it takes me forever to get my little projects done, but on the other hand, it boosts my mood to feel I'm doing something creative. I love to enjoy my living space.

Another good tip: If the grout in your shower is looking grungy, it can be painted with latex paint. The paint sticks to the rough grout surface. Just paint along the grout line and wash off the excess on the tiles with a wrung out damp cloth. It saved my having to retile the floor of my shower.

Love, Mikie
  12. mom4three

mom4three New Member

That is the greatest idea... Thank do much for sharing....
    I am going to try it when I am having better days..
    I can't wait.
    Thanks for sharing.. I love those shows but with 3 kids I only usually watch Noggin lol.

Tracy> FMS> CFS>Myofascial pain as well