To: Hopeful4

Discussion in 'Lyme Disease Archives' started by suexi, Dec 18, 2006.

1. suexi

suexi New Member

Hi, thank you very much for the info... Just as I thought: That one FFC may not be as good as another but as you stated below:

"The doctor I currently see is extremely informed about lyme disease, and the FFC uses an integrated approach with anti-biotics and pharmaceuticals, as well as herbals, supplements, and vitamins/minerals"

My question is, how long is she going to keep you on the antibiotics? I have been reading some Lyme websites which say that the LLMD's have been getting into trouble for not sticking to the standard time for treatment w/antibiotics. Standard being 4 to 6 weeks, and LLMD trtments 8 to 16 months. So I was curious as to what your doctor says and how long she will treat you.
    thanks so much
    susan
    xxxx
    I just re-read your msg...sometimes i have to do that, I have trouble comprehending & reading...
    You mentioned that you have been on the protocol for 6 months... So she kept you on the antibiotics that whole time? just wondering if she had concerns due to the "standards". [This Message was Edited on 12/18/2006]
  2. victoria

victoria New Member

hope you don't mind my replying here a bit... the replication cycle of lyme is long/slow, which is why taking abx for such a short time is inadequate, especially if it is not acute. Abx apparently work whil it is actually replicating...

According to the Townsend Letter's report on it (Feb 2006, it's online), if you compared to how long abx is rx'd for strep, "With the slow replication time of Bb (lyme), an antibiotic would have to be present 24 hours a day for one year and six months to be present during the cell wall reproduction period." (Grier, T. The Complexities of Lyme Disease, from: Lyme Disease Survival Manual, 1997)

This is where and why the controversy starts... imho, the more one can read about it all, the more informed one can be about one's own treatment protocol and choices.

all the best,
    Victoria

[This Message was Edited on 12/18/2006]
  3. suexi

suexi New Member

which one are you going to?? Or is that allowed here. I called to make an appt with Dr. Holtorf... but he was booked until april so she scheduled me in jan. w/another doc in Torrance.
  4. hopeful4

hopeful4 New Member

"How long is she going to keep you on the antibiotics?"

For the first few months, I started and stopped the ABX several times, due to strong herxing. Then I got on a 3 weeks on, 1 week off, schedule, to moderate the herx. That started in March '06.

Starting last week, I'm slowly stopping the RX medications one by one, over a period of 2-3 months: Omnicef, Amantadine, Azithromycin, Flagyl.

At the same time, the protocol I'm on includes taking artemisinin, lumbrokinase, samento, cumanda, and burbur for the lyme (as well as many supplements). Depending on how I respond, I may stay on these, or stop them as well. That will come after seeing how I do off of the RX meds.

The 4-6 weeks of antibiotics may be effective for people who are treated for lyme immediately after being infected. For those of us with chronic lyme, it is too little, too late.

So far, so good; we have not encountered problems with so-called standards. My insurance companies (I've had to switch) have not been a problem for the long-term abx. The first one balked at the long-term Azithromycin at first, but when my doctor provided a reason for it, they were fine.