To IndigoSC

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by Tibbiecow, Apr 22, 2003.

1. Tibbiecow

Tibbiecow New Member

Dear Indigo,
    I think you need to go doctor shopping. Don't mention narcotics at the first visit, just pain. You have to find a doctor that believes that you have pain. If you can accurately describe your pain without crying, that helps a bunch. Ask about how you can find nondrug remedies to deal with the pain. Tell the doc about what you have found that does help, ie hot packs, hot baths, etc.This helps docs realize that you are not a drug seeker but somebody truly in pain. Read Devin Starlanyl's book, there are some good pointers in there.
    I am a shameless guai pusher. I had a big phosphate buildup in my masseter muscle, hence the TMJ pain, not as bad as yours. I would grind my teeth. A "Splint" that the dentist made did help me some, until my dog ate it. (!)Anyway, the guai brought the phosphates out of the masseter muscle for a grueling few months and now the pain is gone.
    My dentist referred me to a practice in Portland, OR who fix people like you, COMPLETELY. I didn't get to the point where I had to spend the money and go but this sounds like the place for you. It takes a few visits but they help people exactly like you. I read an article in his dentist magazine, and I want you to call them and talk to the receptionist about what they do. They can send you some information, I am sure, and give you some hope. Maybe somebody near where you are does this. Dr. Arthur Parker, DDS, 7391 NE Halsey, Suite 307, Portland, OR 97213 (503) 255-8293.
    Love,
    Tibbie
  2. Tibbiecow

Tibbiecow New Member

3. Tibbiecow

Tibbiecow New Member

4. IndigoSC

IndigoSC New Member

Hey tibbiecow, thanks so much for responding. I've told many doctors and dentists about the TMJ pain, but I guess I have never really followed up with it since the one dentist made me the night splint that did not help. The TMJD is not my most pressing problem by all means, but I do believe it probably contributes to headaches and maybe even neck pain. I have been interested in the guai thing, but am a bit worried because I heard it actually causes more pain for awhile, and also because I heard you have to completely change your diet and most other products you use, so this scares me a bit. What kind of practice is the one in Portland by the way? Maybe I can find the same kind of practice around here. The new doctor I went to last time, I did not mention one word about pain meds, only that I was truly in pain and where, etc. I don't want to ask at all for fear they'll think I'm just looking for drugs, yet I do really want something for when the pain is really bad. I don't like taking pain meeds, but I feel that occassionally they would be beneficial and make me able to at least function on days I'm really really hurting. It's very hard for me to just keep searching for doctors and making appointments as I don't have any health insurance and have to pay for all visits out-of-pocket. Thanks again for your reply.
    Indigo (Sharon)
  5. Tibbiecow

Tibbiecow New Member

Call around on the phone for a doctor and ask the receptionists if you can interview the doc before you pay for an appointment because you have to pay out of pocket. Do some searching! It really will work and be well worth it.
    I don't know much about that dentist other than he just does tmj stuff. Do call and ask about them, please, even if you can't go to them, there is hope for you to solve your problem.
    Check out Dr. St. Amand's book from the library or buy it from Amazon. It is cheap. Nothing is easy, and my journey has been in the most difficult 15th percentile, I think, but I have no doubt if it were not for guai I would be bedridden now.
    I also have the best doctor in the world whom I hug when I leave his office.
    If you want my private email let me know.
    I can help you get the doctor you need.
    Hugs, Tibbie
  6. Tibbiecow

Tibbiecow New Member

Looking around on the net, I don't know just how brave you are, but I found a doc in Atlanta that might interest you...
    Tibbie
  7. Tibbiecow

Tibbiecow New Member

Bump! Let's find you a caring doctor, Sharon. I am assuming the SC stands for South Carolina. I found a doc via internet near Atlanta who charges a reasonable amount, prescribes REAL relief drugs for fibro, including (GASP) narcotics for pain as well as drugs for sleep, and other real, actual FIBRO PROBLEMS!!!! and his first consult he spends an HOUR or more with you. He takes payments and doesn't charge more than my doctor out here in Orygun does. Let me know if you're interested, a URL gets edited out pretty darn fast around here!
    Hugs,
    Tibbie
    [This Message was Edited on 04/24/2003]
  8. Tibbiecow

Tibbiecow New Member

9. Tibbiecow

Tibbiecow New Member

10. Tibbiecow

Tibbiecow New Member

Helloooo, Sharon?
    By the way, I heard you're one of the few of us that is under weight...
    I'm sure there are plenty out there who would be more than happy to donate a few pounds. I'll start with 10!
    Tibbie
  11. Tibbiecow

Tibbiecow New Member

12. Tibbiecow

Tibbiecow New Member

13. Fibromiester

Fibromiester New Member

Indigo & I both live in same State Capital, and I'm interested, too. Sigh. My e is in profile.
    I have used up my resources in DR. bills. And can only get darvocet for DDD because it shows up in an X-ray...I had these Vert. spaces injected yesterday, for pain, but still not given anything else. These Dr.s make me feel Guilty because I hurt! Thanks so much, if you care to contact!
    Fibromiester