TO JAMEDW1

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by Annette2, May 7, 2003.

1. Annette2

Annette2 New Member

Hi!!!! I was raised on Kingsbridge Terrace near the VA Hospital, right off of Kingsbridge Road. Are you familiar with that area? We're one train stop north of Fordham Road. Jerome Avenue was to the east and Broadway to the west. I went to Theodore Roosevelt High School. I LOVED growing up in the Bronx and wouldn't trade it for the world! Jahns, Krums, Alexanders, the Zoo, Botanical Gardens, Poe Park, Loew's Paradise, Van Cortlandt Park, black-and-whites, egg creams, the list goes on and on and on.......

Annette2
  2. jamedw1

jamedw1 New Member

played football at van courtland park.... went to herber h lehman college... (cardinal spellman h.s.)... used to have my hair cut just off fordham road (applied for fordham college, but wasn't accepted)... loved the white castle, tho... :)

am hoping to get to the bronx zoo when my sweetie comes to visit, in june, along with a yankee's game is they're in town when she comes...

haven't seen a decent black 'n white since ive been in connecticut, and if im gonna have an egg cream, I'LL make it... no one here knows how to make one worth the seltzer they wouldnt make it with...lol...
    (not to mention they'd never know how to pronounce mosholu parkway... don't know if i spelled it right)... smoked my first ciggy at the botanical gardens with my cousin when i was 13...and the loews paradise... with the heavenly ceiling... my gosh, is it still there?...and the "grand' concourse... what an thoroughfare...

i wouldn't trade the "education" i got growing up there for anything, either... still know how to think fast on my feet... :) ... i'm still "street" wise...lol...
    and for what it's worth, they took the boy out of the bronx...... but they'll never take the "bronx" out of the boy...

thank you, annette, for allowing me to takea trip down memory lane, and wax nostalgic for a few...

long live the kingsbridge armory... :)
    ed
  3. Annette2

Annette2 New Member

You brought a BIG smile to my face! The Kingsbridge Armory is still there. I think they chopped up the Loew's Paradise into smaller theatres, then I heard they turned it into a dance hall. I just know that when I went to the movies I was transported to another world! I loved to sit in the balcony and look up at the ceiling! I live in Indiana, and no one here can possibly know what it was like. I hung out on Fordham Road by the Army-Navy Station when I was a teenager. My husband grew up in the Amalgamated and if he fell out of his window he was in Van Cortlandt Park. We used to go to the lake in the summer and sit on the little hill on blankets and listen to our transistor radios. In the winter we went sledding in the park and went to the lake for hot chocolate. My husband and I used to go up to the Cloisters on dates - that was so beautiful!!!! I'm the same as you - the Bronx never left me. You just got such a certain education there. Also, people out here don't understand my sense of humor. We are a very particular breed, aren't we? Do you have fibromyalgia too?

Annette2
  4. jamedw1

jamedw1 New Member

i'd forgotten about that...

forget the sense of humor... do they even "understand" you when you speak... i usually tell people that don't know "new york talk" to just adjust their ears to 80 miles an hour... :)

id forgoten that you're in indiana now... wow, talk about culture shock... bet your pace has slooowwwweeeddd a bit...
    cows?... you got cows?....lol... bet the pizza isn't the same... :)

i do not have fm... i'm just madly in love with someone that does... guess im lucky x2...i spend my time here to learn... right now, she's in south carolina and i'm in connecticut... we're gonna meet in a month for the 1st time, and i'm as excited as all heck... by all accounts, i think she's the lady i've been waiting for my whole life... funny how you can start out in the bronx, and somehow your heart ends up some place else... so i'm practicing on my southern gentlemanly manners just in case she ends up wanting some poor kid from the bronx to help take care of her, there, for the rest of her life... one thing's for sure... she won't find any better heart of gold than one brought up on the "mean streets"...lol... hopefully, i can get your endorsement on that... :)

besides, who's gonna make her an egg cream when she's hurting, any better than me... and if ever i wanted to be someone "strength", it's for her that i am focusing all my energies... and when she comes here... who else is gonna know the best place where to park at the zoo... not to mention all the best exhibits to see...

anyway, all this is wishful thinking until she comes...
    i've just never been so excited about something i thought i'd never see again... someone to love me... and maybe need me too...

and i'd take all her pain away and put it on me if God would let me... and if He doesn't, i just pray he'll keep me in her life so she can keep bringing me joy and hope... and i can bring her trust and peace...

silly, huh?...
    who'd have thunk it that a kid from the bronx could end up so sensitive... don't tell the "guys"...lol...

it's been fun
    ed