To Jellybelly and Madwolf , RE: Lab results

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by klutzo, Mar 31, 2003.

1. klutzo

klutzo New Member

Due to Jelly's posts about clotting problems in Fibro patients, I asked my doc to run tests. When I got my copy of the results, one of them was abnormal, but she never said anything about it.
    My PTT was normal, but something called an INR was too low, at 1.1.
    Do you know what having a low INR might mean?

Also, for Madwolf: I've been on high protein/low carb for 5 months. My BUN and creatinine are normal, but the ratio between them is too high ,at 23. Does this mean I am eating too much protein?

Why don't docs explain these things? I have never had a doc explain abnormal labs, and they scare patients.
    I also have asked twice now to run a free T3 and both times it was not run. My TSH is 3.44 and my T4 is 6.8, which she says is normal, though I have read that 3.4 should be the top TSH.

My lipids were outrageous, as usual. Nothing I do helps them,except that eating a lot of nuts seems to raise my HDL, and nothing else will.

Thanks for your expertise. (((HUGS)))
    Klutzo
  2. klutzo

klutzo New Member

Isn't the Internet wonderful? I did some research on INR and found out that my abnormally low level really is normal for healthy people. The INR test is usually used on those with problems that require thinner blood, so abnormally long clotting times are desired. So, my INR of 1.1 is nothing to worry about, since normal for a healthy person is 1.0. The 2.0-3.0 range that is considered normal on this test is for people with atrial fibrillation, pre-surgical preps, artificial heart valves, etc.
    So, it looks like hypercoagulation is not one of my problems. Thank goodness. I've got enough on my plate.

You're welcome Jelly...I think it's a good idea. It may have been tried before, but the more we bug them, the sooner we get somewhere. You know what they say: "The squeaky wheel gets the grease".
    Klutzo