TO: jhl great information

Discussion in 'General Health & Wellness' started by junal, Jan 26, 2005.

1. junal

junal New Member

There is alot to read here. I just printed it all off. My husband and I will read and do a little research. I can't be on the computer long these days. It is amazing. How are people suppose to live these days? I just can't figure it out. The first paragraph sounds like me and my josb but my the neck and back pain go back many years and has intesified in my 40's. I am also being treated with depression, probably because of the chronic pain. Personally, I think I have a great attitude, but don't like this "hanging in the air position". Who knows, I might just find my calling in all of the mess to come.

The best to you and yours

Always, June
  2. JLH

JLH New Member

but another quick tidbit ....

Have you tried Cymbalta for your depression?

It also helps with muscle and joint pain, and is approved for use in diabetics.

I switched from Prozac to it a few months ago .... and it helps a lot!!!

jlh

P.S. Back to the fibro board ... it is not being eliminated, thank goodness!
  3. JLH

JLH New Member

QUALITY OF LIFE SCALE - FOR PEOPLE WITH PAIN

Try discussing this with your doctor ...

QUALITY OF LIFE SCALE, MEASURE OF FUNCTION FOR PEOPLE WITH PAIN

Listed below is some interesting information taken from the American Chronic Pain Association’s website.

Look and see where you fall on their “Quality of Life Scale.”

It might be something you want to discuss with your family and your doctor(s).

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

“Pain is a highly personal experience. The degree to which pain interferes with the quality of a person’s life is also highly personal.

The American Chronic Pain Association’s Quality of Life Scale (which I have copied below) looks at the ability to function, rather than at pain alone. It can help people with pain and their health care team to evaluate and communicate the impact of pain on the basic activities of daily life. This information can provide a basis for more effective treatment and help to measure progress over time.

The scale is meant to help individuals measure activity levels. Homemakers, parents, and retirees often do not work outside the home, but activity can still be measured in the amount of time one is able to “work” at fulfilling daily responsibilities be that in a paid job, as a volunteer, or within the home.

With a combination of sound mediate treatment, good coping skills, and peer support, people with pain can lead more productive, satisfying lives.”

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    The American Chronic Pain Association’s

QUALITY OF LIFE SCALE

A Measure of Function for People With Pain

0 -
    Stay in bed all day.
    Feel hopeless and helpless about life.
    (This is Non-Functioning.)

1 -
    Stay in bed at least half the day.
    Have no contact with outside world.

2 -
    Get out of bed but don’t get dressed.
    Stay at home all day.

3 -
    Get dressed in the morning.
    Minimal activities at home.
    Contact with friends via phone, email.

4 -
    Do simple chores around the house.
    Minimal activities outside of home two days a week.

5 -
    Struggle but fulfill daily home responsibilities.
    No outside activity.
    Not able to work/volunteer.

6 -
    Work/volunteer limited hours.
    Take part in limited social activities on weekends.

7 -
    Work/volunteer for a few hours daily.
    Can be active at least five hours a day.
    Can make plans to do simple activities on weekends.

8 -
    Work/volunteer/be active six hours daily.
    Have energy to make plans for one evening social activity during the week.
    Active on weekends.

9 -
    Work/volunteer/be active eight hours daily.
    Take part in family life.
    Outside social activities limited.

10 -
    Go to work/volunteer each day.
    Normal daily activities each day.
    Have a social life outside of work.
    Take an active part in family life.
    (This is Normal Quality of Life.)

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Maybe your doctor needs to know that the pain you experience on a daily basis is affecting your quality of life, and that you need him to help you improve your quality of life .... and if any type of pain medication would help, then you are willing to try it and take it under his supervision.