To jlh re: Back

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by granny1353, Sep 20, 2005.

1. granny1353

granny1353 New Member

I am suffering with my back also. I have had surgery 28 yrs ago and been in pain ever since. But now I have the sciatia nerve pain, which is terrible. Took an MRI and found out I have spinal stenosis and three buldging discs.

I was told to rest for the nerve, it is not easy. But the more you do the longer you will suffer.

For the rest of the problems I am going to physical therapy, the spinal shots and surgery will be the LAST resort.

It has been 3 1/2 weeks and the nerve problem is getting much better, it only acts up if I over do. Still working on the other problems.

Hope this helps
    Granny
  2. wickett

wickett New Member

I do the same thing, siatc nerve, previous surgeries and sounds like we are in the same boat. My advice is keep streched out. It hurts but in the long run I think I suffer less...also, pillow between my legs (can only sleep on my right side) Sometimes I just want to cry when everything hurts so bad!!! Hugs to You!!
  3. granny1353

granny1353 New Member

I am sorry you are going through the same junk, but in some sick way it makes me feel I am not alone out there, as few understand unless they have gone through it, I will include you in my prayers.

We should start a new thread for those of us to keep in touch who have back problems.

Granny
  4. KJ2003

KJ2003 New Member

Granny,

I have that, too, and it hurts so bad. I have three bulging disks, pinched nerves and bone spurs in my cervial region and 2 bulging disks and bone spurs in my lumbar region. I had my cervical MRI taken about 2 years ago and the lumbar taken about a year ago. Plus, the MRI said I have osteoporosis, which I had no idea an MRI could reveal this but it did.

I had the epidural shots about six or so months ago. They lasted 3 months but I had terrible weight gain as a side-effect, along with a couple others that were unpleasant.

I was diagnosed with FM about the same time I was diagnosed with my back problems, plus a x-ray said I have severe arthritis in my hands.

I've been on everything from anti-inflammitories to anti-depressants to narcotics. I'm allergic to the inflammatories, can't tolerate the depressants and build up too quickly of a tolerance to narcotics. Go figure!

Anyway, we're trying some others things and they seem to be working. The only problem I have now is horrible spasms in my upper back and, now, down my side. I've had the same spasms in my back for over a week now and, last night, it moved down my right side, which I've never experienced before.

I've tried everything but nothing is helping. Even stretching isn't knocking these out. I don't think there is anything anyone can do for spasms and I know my full-time schedule isn't helping matters any. I just have to wait until they work themselves out.

I clicked on your post and when I read it, I could relate and wanted to commiserate with you a bit (ha). I have a heating pad on my back whenever I am home (and not doing chores). I took a Robaxin the other day but it didn't help so I haven't taken any more.

With my back in the shape it is in, I completely understand where you are coming from, Granny, and you have my sympathy. I'm like you, surgery is a last resort for me, too.

Try and take good care of yourself.

Chin up,

Kim

5. granny1353

granny1353 New Member

thanks for your reply.

I hear what you are saying and I am sorry anyone has to go through this.

Well I will talk with you later as I can't sit here any longer

I will keep you in m y prayers
    Granny
  6. JLH

JLH New Member

Thanks Granny for asking about my back.

I would have to agree that sciatic nerve pain in your back is terrible.

In addition to that pinched sciatic nerve between L4-L5 and S1, I have mild Osteoporosis; and in my Cervical area, I have: degenerative disks, bulging disks, thecal sac effacement, bone spurs, paramedian disk herniation, moderate spinal canal stenosis, compression of exiting nerve root, severe cervical spondylosis, and facet arthropathy; in the Thoracic area, I have: bone spurs and arthritis; and in the Lumbar area, I have: degenerative disk disease, spinal canal stenosis, impingement in anterior subarachnoid space, and severe degenerative osteoarthritis of facet joints.

The pinched nerve causes more horrific pain that all of my other back pain does combined!!

I don't know if you read my reply to "hanginginthere" on a post she made to me, but as I was telling her, the Chiropractor hasn't done anything for me, so I have made up my mind that I am quitting going next week.

His treatments are making me hurt even more! He suggested that I get a pain block in that area. Have you ever had one of those? I did have the series of 3 lumbar steroid epidural injections -- did that in May 2003, which was BEFORE the pinched nerve. They didn't even touch the pain regarding my other back problems!! So, I'm not getting them again!

What was your back surgery for 28 years ago? How long have you had the sciatic nerve pain? Did you do anything that you can remember to cause the nerve pain to start? That is what the doctors have asked me and I can't remember doing anything different--it just started hurting one day!

I do try to rest as much as I can. I stay in bed as long as I can in the mornings because it hurts sooooooo bad when I first get up and try to walk around.

When I do get up, I have to sit in my recliner with my feet propped up, with the heating pad on my back for a few hours before I try to move around. Then I try to get my work done in spurts--beds made, then sit back down; dishes done, then sit back down; laundry in washer, and back down ... and so on. By supper time, I am in so much pain and so worn out that I can't cook! Then my hubby gets rather irritated because he doesn't have anything to eat!

My rheumy gave me a script to attend physical therapy, but I was just in sooooo much pain, that I could not go--so I didn't!! He doesn't know it yet, and he will just gripe at me when I go back to him. Oh well, it won't be the first time!

I agree that ocassionally someone should post about back problems--kinda of an update on how all of us with back problems are feeling! Maybe we can give each other some hints!

The Chiro gave me some samples of BioFreeze to put on my back - but NEVER use together with a heating pad!! It feels good for a little while, but by no means takes away that pain!

I have had this never pinched since May of this year. I can say that it is not nearly as back as it was in May, but it is also by no means pain free and the nerve "unpinched"!!

I think the recent Medrol Dose Pak (Prednisone) that I took helped the pain a lot.

If you ever find something that helps your pinched nerve, PLEASE LET ME KNOW ASAP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Thanks!

Take care,
    Janet
  7. granny1353

granny1353 New Member

8. JLH

JLH New Member

Anyone else with similar back problems?
  9. granny1353

granny1353 New Member

My surgery 28 yrs. ago was a lamectomy L4-5, at that time they kept you in the hospital for 10 days. The morning after I came home I could not move. Ended back in the hospital and they found out after much time had lasped that I had an infection in my spine.

There are no antibiotics for that cause the medicine does not go into your spine, so I spent a month in the hospital getting about 350 shots a week for muscle spasams. I spent 3 months, a month at a time, in the hospital for this. It lasted for a year.

I was a complete invalid. My husband slept on the floor by my hospital bed, at home, cause he was afraid he would not hear me. He also fed me, washed, shaved my legs, brushed my teeth, everything for me.

My daughter lived with my in-laws for 9 months, she was only 4 yrs. old.

It was a nightmare, that is why when someone says have surgery I am so scared. I know it has come a long way with new advances, but I am still scared.

Physical therapy is starting to see some small results, so I will stay with this for now.

I hope you are doing better.
    Talk to you soon
    Granny
    P.S. I read your bio and we could just about be sisters, I too have family dinners on Sundays, with the help of my hubby.
    [This Message was Edited on 09/23/2005]
  10. granny1353

granny1353 New Member

11. JLH

JLH New Member

Oh, my! What a horror story about your back surgery. No wonder you are afraid of surgery!! I certainly would be, too!

I am not familiar with the name of the surgery that you had. What was it for--or what was it supposed to do?

It was in the same place that my nerve is pinched -- L4-5 and S1.

What are your plans for Sunday dinner this weekend?!!

We had BBQ chicken last week. I think I'm going to have a big pot roast this week!

I'm feeling really awful now--my oldest daughter took me to Super WalMart to get groceries and and all the non-grocery items that I needed. We were gone for 4 hours. Even though I rode a motorized cart, my body is racked with pain!! It's almost 1:00 am, so I'm going to bed soon!!

Take care, and have a good weekend!
    Janet
  12. granny1353

granny1353 New Member

be turkey and dressing, sweet potatoes.
    My grandchildren like the sweet potatoes. I have a girl who is turning 5 on Oct. 5th and a boy who turned 3 on Sept. 5th. They are so wonderful.

I am going to bed now too, you have a great and painless weekend my friend!
    Granny
  13. JLH

JLH New Member

I guess we will be having sweet potatoes, too!!

I never did get to our local market to get a pot roast (I did not get one a Super Walmart because I did not like the looks of theirs), so my menu has changed.

I asked my hubby to go out to our own freezers and pick me out something that he wants to have.

He came back in with pork roasts. He wants me to fix extra so that I can make pork BBQ with the leftover roasts!

I already had some fresh sweet potatoes, so I've decided to fixed candied yams with my port roast. Not sure what else I will have yet.

My hubby raised some hogs for us to butcher last year, so we have one in the freezer. He also bought us a lamb at the 4-H sale at our county fair--so it's also in the freezer. We are currently out of beef in the freezer, so I pick up ground chuck, roasts, etc. at the market with they are on sale so I can have it if I want to fix something--but, wouldn't you know it, I don't have any beef left in the freezer--so I need to start watching for the sales again!!

My mother is coming for dinner tomorrow (Sunday). It is my late father's birthday. My son's birthday is Monday, 9/26. We always celebrated my dad's and my son's birthdays together at my house. So, it is important for my mother to come up on Sunday to have dinner and cake. (Even though I currently feel like the life has been sucked out of me!).

Have a lovely weekend, Granny
    Janet