To Kay re: Hormones and Calcium

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by klutzo, Nov 24, 2002.

1. klutzo

klutzo New Member

I tried twice yesterday to answer your post about not wanting your mother on hormone replacement therapy (HRT) and thinking her taking OsCal should be enough. Something was wrong with the Board and it would not take my post.

If she does stay on HRT, Estradiol is a natural estrogen, and so is Cenestin, which is made from plants. I don't think Cenestin is available in combination therapy though, and if she still has a uterus, she'll need combo therapy.

If she wants to go the natural route only, then calcium is not enough and the type of calcium matters also. Doctors are negligent in not telling people this, but most of them can't tell what they don't know to begin with, and most docs knowledge of nutritional medicine could be inscribed on the head of a pin!
    This is the minimum you need to do when treating osteoporosis naturally:
    1. Take 1,500 mgs. of Calcium Citrate in 3 divided doses daily. Try to get some Calcium from food - canned salmon or sardines are a good choice, and so is plain Yougurt.
    2. Take 350 mgs. Magnesium (any type but Oxide) at bedtime, daily (work up to this amt. slowly)
    3. Eat lots of yellow and orange fruits and veggies and/or take 99 mgs. of Potassium daily. (Don't take a supp. of this if you have heart problems w/o talking to a doc).
    4. Take 400-800 IU's of Vitamin D3 daily. (400 if you go outside a lot and live in a sunny place, 800 if you stay inside and live in a dark, rainy area.)
    5. Eat at least 2 servings of dark green veggies daily to get vitamin K, which is just as necessary for bones as calcium.
    6. Do NOT consume carbonated drinks.
    7.Take a good multi-vitamin w/minerals that has boron in it.
    8. Try to lower your stress level. Stress causes secretion of Cortisol, which robs you of bone over the long term.
    9. Get at least 30 minutes of weight bearing exercise daily.

If that does not work, then there are non-hormonal drugs like Fosamax and Calcitonin that can help, but they can have horrid side-effects on the stomach, so it pays to work at the above items instead!

Best wishes to you and your mother,
    Klutzo

2. klutzo

klutzo New Member

I tried twice yesterday to answer your post about not wanting your mother on hormone replacement therapy (HRT) and thinking her taking OsCal should be enough. Something was wrong with the Board and it would not take my post.

If she does stay on HRT, Estradiol is a natural estrogen, and so is Cenestin, which is made from plants. I don't think Cenestin is available in combination therapy though, and if she still has a uterus, she'll need combo therapy.

If she wants to go the natural route only, then calcium is not enough and the type of calcium matters also. Doctors are negligent in not telling people this, but most of them can't tell what they don't know to begin with, and most docs knowledge of nutritional medicine could be inscribed on the head of a pin!
    This is the minimum you need to do when treating osteoporosis naturally:
    1. Take 1,500 mgs. of Calcium Citrate in 3 divided doses daily. Try to get some Calcium from food - canned salmon or sardines are a good choice, and so is plain Yougurt.
    2. Take 350 mgs. Magnesium (any type but Oxide) at bedtime, daily (work up to this amt. slowly)
    3. Eat lots of yellow and orange fruits and veggies and/or take 99 mgs. of Potassium daily. (Don't take a supp. of this if you have heart problems w/o talking to a doc).
    4. Take 400-800 IU's of Vitamin D3 daily. (400 if you go outside a lot and live in a sunny place, 800 if you stay inside and live in a dark, rainy area.)
    5. Eat at least 2 servings of dark green veggies daily to get vitamin K, which is just as necessary for bones as calcium.
    6. Do NOT consume carbonated drinks.
    7.Take a good multi-vitamin w/minerals that has boron in it.
    8. Try to lower your stress level. Stress causes secretion of Cortisol, which robs you of bone over the long term.
    9. Get at least 30 minutes of weight bearing exercise daily.

If that does not work, then there are non-hormonal drugs like Fosamax and Calcitonin that can help, but they can have horrid side-effects on the stomach, so it pays to work at the above items instead!

Best wishes to you and your mother,
    Klutzo

3. totteacher

totteacher New Member

I know you addressed this post to Kay, but I'm glad I peeked in! I have been wrangling in my mind about hormone therapy and I was glad to find out that Estradiol is a natural hormone as that is what I am on. Also, all the other advice you gave Kay was encouraging as I am doing most of that, too. I have learned that your posts are very informative so that's why I took a peek. You are definitely a pillar of help on this board.

totteacher
  4. kay

kay New Member

Thank you so much for all the info. Was very informative. Linda
  5. 2BPainfree

2BPainfree New Member

Thanks for the information from all of us on hormone replacement therapy! Very informative!

Susan
  6. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

That most docs continue to prescribe Premarin when they write scripts for estrogen. Premarin is made from pregnant horse urine and contains only one type of estrogen. Estrace more closely represents the three types of estrogen produced by the human body.

The horses used to produce Premarin are abused. From this standpoint alone, I would not take Premarin.

BTW, for any of y'all with FMS, if you take your three doses of calcium with meals, it allows your intestines to excrete the phosphate debris which we cannot seem to excrete through our kidneys without the Guai. There is a relationship between calcium and phosphate in the body.

Love, Mikie