To Kbak - EBV

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by Angie812, Feb 19, 2006.

1. Angie812

Angie812 New Member

Hi, I just read one of your posts and you mentioned your daughter having chronic EBV and being treated for it. I was diagnosed with EBV several years ago, but was told that all I could do for it was avoid stress, get lots of sleep and exercise. Is there something else I could be doing?? The glands in my neck have been swollen for about 9 months now and that's about how long I've had the CFIDS diagnosis. My dr. just really doesn't think much about EBV and hasn't really given me much information on it except that most people have it but don't show signs of it.
  2. kbak

kbak Member

Forgive me Angie!!,
    If this DD hasn't made me such a dummie, I might have gotten back to you sooner. Daaaaa, I always forget to look at my messages. People must think me so rude.

Anyhow, My daughter had swollen glands for a yr. and was sent to a cancer doc to have them checked. She was pregnant at the time so they couldn't do a surgical biopsy. What they did do was a needle biopsy and an advanced search in the lab for any sign of cancer cells. They found none, so the doc just told her to come back after her pregnancy if she still had a problem.

I conviced her to call Cancer treatment Center's of America, one of which they have in their town. She asked for the name of a naturopath that was with the center. She went to see the guy, and he had her tested for EBV. He found that she had a very high count. Other docs just poo poo the whole EBV, but the naturopath said it definetly caused problem's including the problem with enlarged lymph nodes for long periods.

He has been using a couple of herbal things to treat her plus a wide arrange of supplements which has really seemed to have helped her. I think anyone with enlarged lymph nodes for a lond period of time needs to eliminate some other disease as the cause before they persue the whole EBV fibro, CFS, ect.

I don't think all naturopaths are the same either. The one she went to worked with Cancer Treatment Center's as part of their alternative care and is a certifed pharmacist also. So if he ever suspected antthing else going on with her, she could get looked at by the apropriate doc.

Sorry about getting back with you!

K.
  3. TwinMa

TwinMa New Member

What herbals and supplements does the naturopath have your daughter taking to treat her high EBV titers?
  4. kbak

kbak Member

Hi,
    One of the things she's taking is a professional grade echinacea that she buys from him, and some other herb I never heard of that he say's has been used on AIDS patients. If you want, I could ask her again, because I can never remember the name of it.

Their a professional strength that you can't buy over the counter. Actually this isn't even the exact regiment he wants to use on her. She's breast feeding, and he can only give her what's safe for breast feeding. Altho it has helped her.

Once she quits breast feeding he's going to change the treatment. She's taking 100mg. Grapeseed extract, which she feels has really helped her. She say's it has definetly helped her energy.

Hope this helps some.

K.
  5. TwinMa

TwinMa New Member

I am also taking grapeseed extract. I think I will pick up some echinacea. I think I'm also going to start olive leaf extract, although that one scares me a bit. Sounds pretty potent.

Glad your daughter is feeling more energy. Although with a baby, I'm sure her system is a bit out of whack!
  6. kbak

kbak Member

I only take olive leaf when I know I'm coming down with a cold of flu. It gives me a reaction so I can't take it daily. It's a very good natural antibiotic, very potent, and can cause an immune responce that I don't like. Of course since we're all different, some people have no troulbe with it. Lucky them.

K.
  7. Paracelsus

Paracelsus New Member

I've posted before about one natural supplement that has been shown to go after EBV (and other herpes type viruses, among other pathogens):

MONOLAURIN (a form of lauric acid).

Lauric acid is a medium chain fatty acid. It is found in mother's milk and coconut milk, for example. It is non-toxic and beneficial to gut health.

What viruses does monolaurin destroy?

Research has shown that it works against lipid-coated viruses:
    Epstein-Barr Virus (EBV)
    Cytomegalovirus (CMV)
    Herpes simplex-1 (HSV-1)
    Human immunodeficiency virus (HIV)
    Influenza
    Measles virus
    Others

Monolaurin has antiviral, antibacterial, and antiprotozoal activities.

How does monolaurin act as a viricide?

Monolaruin destroys lipid-enveloped "bugs" by this process:

Monolaurin inactivates lipid (fat)-enveloped viruses.
    (These viruses can coat themselves with lipids from your cell membranes as a means to enter and infect cells).

Monolaurin works through cell lysis (breakdown and rupture of the lipid sac on the virus).

Monolaurin causes the double layer of fats that envelope the virus (lipid bilayer) to break up. This deactivates the virus particle, rendering it incapable of infecting cells.

It also reputedly interferes with the growth, reproduction, and assembly of the viruses.

-------------------------------------------------------

Besides monolaurin supplement products, lauric acid can be ingested in the form of coconut oil, coconut meat, and coconut milk.

One monolaurin product has 90 300 mg. capsules, retailing for about $20.00. According to one source (unverified) you need about 8 such dosage capsules/daily for a therapeutic effect.

Do a search on this message board and you will find more postings on monolaurin.

Good luck and good health to you.