To KHolmes a movie recommendation

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by alaska3355, Sep 17, 2007.

1. alaska3355

alaska3355 New Member

Hi Ken,
    I just read that there is a new movie version of "Into the Wild" and that it is directed by Sean Penn. The fellow in the lead (can't remember who it is) is supposed to be a good portrayal of McCandless......thought you might be interested. Also stars Marcia Gay Harden and William Hurt as the parents.
  2. Callum

Callum New Member

I'm guessing you both have discussed this book? I was devastated by it for some reason. Perhaps, I connected to the hubris of youth, and thought that "I could have done something like this at that age."

I can't wait to see the movie.

3. kholmes

kholmes New Member

and hello to you, Callum.

Believe it or not, I taught the book to a class of juniors about five years ago, and I've been looking forward to seeing the film. I had my students write an essay on the question, was McCandless a hero or a fool?

There's a good article on the film in last month's OUTSIDE magazine. I think McCandless is played by Emile Hirsch. Lots of other good stars in it, too, including Hal Holbrook. The director, Sean Penn, has tried to stay very faithful to McCandless's story.

I'm still not up for seeing movies in theaters, so I'll have to wait for the DVD, but that's okay.

Thanks for thinking of me.

[This Message was Edited on 09/18/2007]
  4. alaska3355

alaska3355 New Member

I have read most of the book and it is disturbing to me as well. But I lived in Alaska at the time it happened....only about 2 hours away from his spot, I was staying warm in Fairbanks. We couldn't believe anyone would try to live in that extreme, unforgiving climate....and it got the best of him. I'm sure it will be an interesting movie, but hard to watch.
  5. kholmes

kholmes New Member

Evidently, the famous school bus has become a tourist attraction. They built another one for the movie scenes, out of respect for Chris.

What were you doing so far north? I've made it to Anchorage, but never any farther north. "Staying warm in Fairbanks" sounds like a contradiction in terms.
  6. alaska3355

alaska3355 New Member

I lived there for 14 years and I guess I was staying warm in my own home!