To Klutzo - Immune System Modulators

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by TerriM, Mar 15, 2003.

1. TerriM

TerriM New Member

Hi, sorry I didn't write back sooner . . . I haven't been feeling very well for several days. You had commented on one of my posts about immune system modulation where I mentioned tricyclics (doxepin, elavil) as immune system modulators.

Dr. Cheney in his article on Klonopin in the library here talks about Doxepin being a good immune system modulator. I know from personal experience that Amitriptyline (Elavil) is excellent for this. I have insulin resistance and was having constant vaginal yeast infections for four years straight and nothing got rid of them. Shortly after I started Elavil, they were gone . . . also was having a problem with recurring UTI's and didn't have one of those while on the Elavil either! My dr. didn't understand why so I started looking into it and found out that the tricyclics (esp. elavil) have the following properties besides being an antidepressant in large doses . . .

small doses have the opposite effect and help you sleep deeply

it is an antihistamine (I had flushing that it helped with)

pain relief

raises dopamine in the brain (so helps with restless legs syndrome and other dopamine related issues)

modulates the immune system

unfortunately many drs. don't like to use these alot because they do too many things vs. just one thing like some newer drugs.

It is a long story, but I can't take elavil anymore and it was the only thing so far that really helped me . . .I was almost back to normal for me.

All my best . . . hope this info. helps! Terri
  2. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

Recommends undenatured whey in the form of the ImmunPlex sold here. I have it on automated ordering and it arrives monthly. I also take the colostrum sold here to help build up my immune system.

Elavil didn't work well for me. My sleep wasn't refreshing, I awoke feeling groggy, and I put on 20 pounds very rapidly. I do know that there are others who have been helped by it and other with the same experience I had with it. We are react differently to things.

Love, Mikie
  3. TerriM

TerriM New Member

I had posted a week or so on something else and Klutzo had not heard of these drugs doing anything to the immune system so I was just getting back to her.

I know everyone reacts differently . . . its funny, I didn't gain any weight at all on Elavil and I was on it for 6 months and it was the best sleep I've ever had! Also, my dr. doesn't really want to give me Klonopin because he's had some patients become extremely depressed while on it . . . doesn't mean I will, but I appreciate his caution. Terri