To Klutzo.....

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by TeresaBnGA, Sep 4, 2002.

1. TeresaBnGA

TeresaBnGA New Member

klutzo,
    You said 13 months to get your SSD started. What illness did you file on or was it a combo of illnesses? Did you have an attorney?

Soft hugs!
    Teresa :)
  2. TeresaBnGA

TeresaBnGA New Member

klutzo,
    You said 13 months to get your SSD started. What illness did you file on or was it a combo of illnesses? Did you have an attorney?

Soft hugs!
    Teresa :)
  3. klutzo

klutzo New Member

I filed on Fibromyalgia alone, because at that time it was not known that I had also suffered brain damage. Too bad, it would have made it a lot easier to win. I had to go to the hearing level, and yes, I had a lawyer. I also had on file with the judge via my lawyer: a 2 page letter from my Rheumatologist detailing all the things I could no longer do, a copy of The American College of Rheumatology criteria for the dx of FMS (keep in mind these judges are not medical people), a letter from a second Rheumatologist saying he agreed with the first Rheumatologsit, a letter from my boss, who was also an attorney, testifying to how hard working I was and how I never called in sick, even when I was sick, and stating that he believed me when I said that I could not work, a letter from a coworker confirming what my boss said, and a sleep study showing alpha-delta sleep disorder. I would never have known how important it is to have all these things if I hadn't hired an attorney. His fee was 25% of my back payment, so I never even missed it. This was in 1986 and I hear the wait is even longer now, but I also hear that occassionally people are winning on the second appeal and not having to go to the hearing, which is a humiliating experience.
    Good luck,
    Klutzo
    [This Message was Edited on 09/04/2002]