To Klutzo

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by Applyn59, May 28, 2003.

1. Applyn59

Applyn59 New Member

HI,

I was just doing some reading on back posts about
    thyroids and was wondering if you have been tested
    for PCOS - polycystic ovarian disease? Some of
    your symptoms sound like you might have it.
    Fasting insulin test is usually the test they use
    to diagnose and then they go from there.

Just thought I would mention it.
    Lynn
  2. klutzo

klutzo New Member

No, that is one of the few things I have not been tested for. I only have 1 1/2 ovaries, and the 1/2 that is left on the right side has never worked since a cyst exploded there way back in 1974. I am post menopausal, so am not sure if this is relevant or not, but will do a websearch on it, now that you have tweaked my interest.
    Thanks,
    Klutzo

I looked it up and read a few things about it. I am post menopausal, so it seems I could not have it now, even if I did have it before. My hormone levels were not out of whack like they should have been for this, and when examined, during two surgeries, my ovaries were not enlarged. Also, I am not hairy! Heck, I wish I had more hair on my head, not less. Also, even with all the surgeries, I was not infertile like people with PCOS, having gotten PG three times while using birth control! I even managed to beat the one in 98,000 odds and get PG on high dose BC pills!
    [This Message was Edited on 05/29/2003]
  3. Applyn59

Applyn59 New Member

Hi Klutzo,

I don't have the outward symptoms either.
    Not hairy and not balding. I do have many of the
    symptoms and my hormone levels are all
    normal as well. My endo believes that I have
    it based on all the symptoms that I do have
    as well as the fasting insulin test.
    I don't think PCOS goes away just because
    you are post menopause. I just looked it up in my PCOS book. PCOS doesn't go away after
    menopause or just because you have no
    ovaries or partial. It effects your entire body and
    lasts a lifetime (aren't I luck). Seems that those
    who tried for preg during early years were more
    successful than those at later ages.
    I am on a PCOS and some have a few symptoms and
    others have no symptoms.
    Can u only lose weight when you are low carb?
    Usually high cholesterol and bp with it.
    Do you have dark line that looks dirty around
    your neck? Sign of insulin resistance.
    Just wanted to point these out to you.
    Glad you researched.
    Lynn
  4. klutzo

klutzo New Member

NO, I don't have the brown neck stains, but I am dx'd with Metabolic Syndrome which is the same as saying I have insulin resistance. I've not had a fasting insulin test, as they no longer need that to dx it if you have the other symptoms,which I do, ie. a huge waistline, a low HDL cholesterol, high triglycerides, high blood pressure and/or diabetes (which I don't have, yet). Since going low carb, my triglycerides are normal now, so I hope I will not get diabetes. Maybe I do have PCOS then. I can lose weight on any diet if I go down to 1,500 cals. daily, but that feels like starvation to me, as I have a ravenous appetite. I also get a lot more physical acitivity than the average fibro patient though, so that helps burn it off.
    Does it matter what sort of ovarian cyst you have? I only had the one, and it was a dermato? (forgot the last part of the name) type of cyst.
    What is the treatment for PCOS once you are past menopause? The only treatment I saw in what I read was birth control pills, which are not for me, as I'm 52! I am already taking Progesterone. I took HRT and it caused a large wt. gain and my migraines started up again so I ditched it.
    What are you doing for it?
    Klutzo
  5. Applyn59

Applyn59 New Member

Hi Klutzo,

I am too tired to respond right now but will
    tomorrow. I am currently taking glucophage, brand
    name for metformin. Are you taking that for your
    insulin resistance?

More later,
    Lynn