To llama re: SSDI

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by Cabbie, Mar 14, 2007.

1. Cabbie

Cabbie New Member

Hi Jill,

Your description of your memory test did help me know what to expect for mine, but I'm glad it wasn't 3 hrs like yours! I was exhausted yesterday and today, but doing better now.

I was denied once for SSDI in May 2006 (applied in Jan 2006 - didn't take them long to deny me!) I got a lawyer after that; in my state (CT) he can take 25% of back pay, up to a certain limit - can't remember what it is. But I figure it's worth it. He doesn't get any money if I don't win, but he said he only takes cases that he feels he's going to win.

If you win and get a couple years back pay, do you have to pay income tax on it?

Thanks for your info,

Cabbie
  2. Shalala

Shalala New Member

I hope all we go through is worth it
  3. llama

llama New Member

Hi Cabbie,

Glad you got through that ordeal!

Sorry I don't have an answer to your question...I wish I knew. I guess I haven't even thought that far ahead yet!

I really think that this whole "scary" process that SSDI puts us through is so stressful that it actually exacerbates our symptoms..especially if anxiety and depression are an issue for the person.

Hopefully, someone else who has been through all this will post with the answer?

So have you been denied a second time? We're both pretty much on the same time line..my initial application was made in mid November of '05. So within about 7 or 8 months, I had been denied twice.

My attorney says that her approach is going to be that I have so MANY diagnosis and on so many meds that I'm unable to do any sustained activity...I think she's trying to bolster up the Fibro. dx.

Oh well, sorry for the long story..if you find out about paying back taxes, let me know. Or if you just want to vent to someone who's going through the same thing..please do!!!

Take Care.........Jill.............