To Madwolf & ac77 (Ace) About Pseudoephedrine

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by Mikie, Apr 16, 2003.

1. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

When I lived in Colorado, I used to take Allegra D for my allergies when they were bad. I asked my doc for it here since the tree pollen is driving me nuts. Weeeeeell, I awoke bright and early after a good night's sleep, took my Allegra D and felt like a million bucks. Suspecting there is an upper in the Allegra, I looked it up and found it contains pseudoephedrine. Now, I've always been against using ephedrine as I don't consider it safe. Is there any difference in ephedrine and pseudoephedrine in terms of safety?

Is Allegra D or Pseudofed safe to take over the long haul? I assume this energy burst will not last as I continue taking it. It does not seem to interfere with my sleep. I do have to discontinue it tomorrow as the pharmacist said it should be discontinued 72 hrs. prior to anesthesia.

I appreciate your help.

Love, Mikie
  2. Majesta

Majesta New Member

Hi Mikie

I heard on the news just today that pseudo is from
    the same family as anphatamine, not sure of correct
    spelling.I know that I can't take it keep me awake
    all night can't sleep.Anybody experience that.

Thank you
  3. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

I suspect that I will only need the Allegra D until the tree pollen has gone down. Normally, I don't have a problem with it. Either the Red Tide set off my immune system and/or there is more pollen this year from the trees.

I have to say that despite a very stressful episode in our neighborhood this morning, I haven't felt this normal and energetic since forever. Today, I was a "normal" person. It felt soooo good. I cleaned the condo, cleaned my car, came here to read the board, went to the pool to have some wine with the neighbors, and swam laps. It's 8:00 in the evening and I still feel great. I'm cooking a steak.

I'm wondering, I guess, if there is some other kind of stimulant like the ephedrine which doesn't exacerbate the sensory overload but gives some energy without harm. I'm probably asking for too much. I'm sure I'll build a tolerance to this soon. Guess I'll just enjoy it while it lasts.

Love, Mikie
  4. Flibble

Flibble New Member

I know I am not the person you asked about this but I can relate the same experience as you with it. Pseudo clears away the brain fog and gives tons of energy. The only problem I have is it tends to make the blood pressure go up too high if I take it all the time. I think there are good benefits to it. Flibble
  5. sb439

sb439 New Member

when I take 1/8 of Sudafed (=pseudephedrine) in the morning, it makes me awake (and slightly hyper) all day. If I take any more, it keeps me awake all night, regardless of sleeping meds.
    Susanne
  6. AC77

AC77 New Member

Sudafed is great. On the con side, it is illegal in many places to be purchased in "mass" quanity--I kid you not! As it CAN be converted to a form of illecit speed. Just takes a chemist with a little knowledge--Sudafed is safe however--it can sometimes raise the blood pressure a little in sensitive indivduals. I have taken it for years long-term, to no ill effect. So have many people. It has been around for a long time and has been well studied.

What types of allergies do you have? Mostly congested or mostly runny nose? Sudafed is a Godsend for congestion, as I have nasal polyps and basically am stuck on nasal sprays permanantly. It's a viscious cycle. But you have to weigh the pros and cons. If you can't breath through your nose than that really reduces the quality of your life, not to mention set you up for more respitory infections. If you are mostly the runny nose type of allergies, I like Allegra in the day and Benadryl at night. Definetly, Intranasal inhalers are very safe short and if needed, long-term. My prefered stock are: Nasonex, Flonase and my favorite, Rhinocort Aqua, tops the list because it has no additives, can be taken as only 1 spray a day, has no after taste and some studies actually show it is marginally better for the congestive types of sinus problems. I believe this might be because it has more systematic absorption, though minimal.

If you dont have insurance, don't waste your money on over-priced me to antihistamines like Clarinex. Claritin (loratadine)is available OTC and now as a generic...it is getting cheaper.

Patents on the intransal steroids are ready to expire and soon you will be seeing generics.

BTW, that boost of energy which is so taboo to mention in the medical field is a true, mild euphoria that some experience from the rush dopamine being released. Fear not, a lot of patients hide this from thier doctors but It happens too often too ignore, is harmless and non-addictive. Unfortuantly, the "rush" tends to fade in time.

The Hindi use a "neti" pot. Basically, saline water they snort to flush the sinues. It's supposed to work wonders on not just allergies but infections. I don't know anyone who has used it or seen any studies. The Indians swear by it.
    To westerners the idea of snorting salt water is not too joyous. I myself dont want to take the extra time to do it.