To Madwolf....Thyroid lab results

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by cyberamy, Mar 6, 2003.

1. cyberamy

cyberamy New Member

Mine keep coming back normal despite every hypo symptom.
    My TSH is 2.7 I don't know my T3 T4 but my free t3 is 2.8
    lab range 2.3-4.2
    My free t4 is 0.9 lab range is 0.71-1.81
    Which seem on the low side I hear they have revised the TSH lab ranges to .3 to 3.0 so could I still be hypo?Thanks
    Amy
  2. nct

nct New Member

I'm brand new to this underactive thyroid thing, at least knowledge of it.
    But most alternative folks I've read and spoken to do say the tests really aren't the best way; unless all the possibilities are tested, and it sounds like they did yours. But I recall reading something about checking the 'reverse', i.e., rT3 results or something.
    Have you been checking your temperature? IS that one of the symptoms you mentioned.
    I would say yes, you can still be hypothyroid. I know I'm not MadWolf, but thought I'd jump in here, since I was just diagnosed hypothyroid as well, and have been reading on it like crazy.
    Good luck!

Nancy
  3. cyberamy

cyberamy New Member

No I haven't been checking my temps but I'm going to go buy a therm and start. I am slo sch. to see an endo in a couple of weeks. Thanks for your input. :0) take care
    Amy
  4. klutzo

klutzo New Member

My TSH is 2.79 , but I have most of the symptoms of hypothyroid. I have had the other thyroid tests,which are also normal.
    I just want to emphasize that conventional treatment of a non-existant or even a mild thyroid problem has it's downside. You can have heart palpitations or arrhythmias, and bone loss, just to name a couple.
    So, I recommend natural thyroid boosters first. Use iodized salt, and if you have NMH, use plenty of it. Take a multi-vitamin with kelp, iodine, and zinc. Take at least 60 mgs. daily of COQ10. If you don't have low blood pressure, take a 99 mg. potassium supplement,and eat lots of orange fruits and dark green veggies. Avoid cabbage. Exercise regularly to tolerance. Don't smoke.
    If your TSH is over 3.4, then consider conventional treatment,since bone loss can also result from under-treatment of thyroid problems.
    My TSH used to be 4.2 when I first got sick, and I got it down to 2.79 by doing the things I recommend above.
    Take care,
    Klutzo
  5. cyberamy

cyberamy New Member

That was very informative!!!!take care,
    amy
  6. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

And it makes all the difference. I tested in the "normal" range but displayed hypothyroid symptoms, so my doc put me on the lowest dose, 25 mcgms of Synthroid. My labs have improved and I feel better.

Love, Mikie
  7. cyberamy

cyberamy New Member

That makes me feel much better because this has been my gut feeling all along! Doctors!! argh!!! hopefully the endo appt will go well,
    Thanks for your response!
    Amy