To Marla....a question~~

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by kadywill, Dec 1, 2002.

1. kadywill

kadywill New Member

I read on one of your replies that a BM every 2 days is not normal. I have NEVER in my life had one daily, nor has my daughter, nor have her two daughters. All my sons do and my husband does. They often have three or more a day. My problem is worsened by Oxycontin, but I have never had a BM more often than once every 4-5 days and I have gone 8-9 days before with no discomfort whatsoever. Until I started the Oxy, the problem was just that there was "nothing there", not that the stool was too hard to pass, as it is now. I have never taken laxatives until I started the narcotic and the lax. only helps if I take a Dulcolax suppository every three or four days, too. This is the ONLY time my bowels move. I was prescribed PeriColace and I am taking two twice daily. If this helps, I can't tell. It was suggested that I try Senokot S instead and I plan to as soon as I have any $$ to buy it. (I recently started a medical leave of absence and have yet to receive disability $$.) So far, the Dulcolax suppositories are the only things that helps "bring it down" to where it can be evacuated. I have had docs tell me all of my life that everyone was different and a daily BM is not necessary for everyone and I never questioned it. Even at work, it is customary to give MOM or Dulcolax suppositories to our patients ONLY after three days without a BM. When some of our elders complain of not having a BM every a.m., we say that they're "fixated" on their bowels. Now, I read your reply saying that a daily, if not more than daily, BM is normal. How do you explain that I have never felt the need to have a daily BM in my entire 47 years and I had never taken laxatives until recently due to the narcotics? You know that Pepto Bismol turns your stool black....well, if I take it, it takes a week to turn MY stool black and my husband's is dark THAT same day. What do you make of this??If I need something, it HAS to be in pill/capsule form as I cannot get any type of liquid med down (except for Pepto). I just always thought I had a "sluggish system" and now you have me concerned. Advice??
  2. kadywill

kadywill New Member

I read on one of your replies that a BM every 2 days is not normal. I have NEVER in my life had one daily, nor has my daughter, nor have her two daughters. All my sons do and my husband does. They often have three or more a day. My problem is worsened by Oxycontin, but I have never had a BM more often than once every 4-5 days and I have gone 8-9 days before with no discomfort whatsoever. Until I started the Oxy, the problem was just that there was "nothing there", not that the stool was too hard to pass, as it is now. I have never taken laxatives until I started the narcotic and the lax. only helps if I take a Dulcolax suppository every three or four days, too. This is the ONLY time my bowels move. I was prescribed PeriColace and I am taking two twice daily. If this helps, I can't tell. It was suggested that I try Senokot S instead and I plan to as soon as I have any $$ to buy it. (I recently started a medical leave of absence and have yet to receive disability $$.) So far, the Dulcolax suppositories are the only things that helps "bring it down" to where it can be evacuated. I have had docs tell me all of my life that everyone was different and a daily BM is not necessary for everyone and I never questioned it. Even at work, it is customary to give MOM or Dulcolax suppositories to our patients ONLY after three days without a BM. When some of our elders complain of not having a BM every a.m., we say that they're "fixated" on their bowels. Now, I read your reply saying that a daily, if not more than daily, BM is normal. How do you explain that I have never felt the need to have a daily BM in my entire 47 years and I had never taken laxatives until recently due to the narcotics? You know that Pepto Bismol turns your stool black....well, if I take it, it takes a week to turn MY stool black and my husband's is dark THAT same day. What do you make of this??If I need something, it HAS to be in pill/capsule form as I cannot get any type of liquid med down (except for Pepto). I just always thought I had a "sluggish system" and now you have me concerned. Advice??
  3. teach6

teach6 New Member

I'm not Marla, but I'll tell you what has helped me. About a year and a half ago I developed awful, unrelenting constipation. It wasn't just that I wasn't having a daily BM, it was packed in and really difficult to pass.

I tried a bundle of different remedies and really didn't get any relief until I started taking digestive enzymes from Pro Health. Actually, I think they are called Vital Enzymes. Now I'm doing much better. This has done what no amount of magnesium, suppositories, MOM, or anything else could do.

Just thought I'd suggest it.

Barbara
  4. kadywill

kadywill New Member

As my husband feels quite uncomfortable with me ordering anything online, I wonder if I can order it by mail and pay by check?? I know that I need something much better than what I'm taking....
    With appreciation,
    Kady
  5. kadywill

kadywill New Member

I drink well over a gallon of water a day...I started this a few months ago and I walk 2-3 miles daily at the park and swim three days a week. As I have mentioned before, my diet is too high in carbs. I eat bananas daily (a p'nut butter and banana sandwich!) and I eat very few other fruits routinely. I know that my diet sux!!! I hate to dwell on diet and preparation of special foods. I eat what is cheap and available and filling. I don't eat "fast food" and I rarely eat candy, chips, greasy foods, gravies, fried foods etc., but I do eat bread, potatoes, rice, PopTarts (my quickie breakfast!) and I do this because I have (had) an eating disorder for many years. I had anorexia/bulimia and I obsess EASILY over food if I let myself. I am overweight and I know it's because of the carbs, but I am SO afraid to be so diet conscious again~~it nearly destroyed me. Please don't say I need counseling, as that is not an option for me for many reasons.
    SOOOOOOOO....my point is (I'm so tired) is that the water and exercise aren't gonna do it and $$$$problems prevent me from buys LOTS of "special" foods for just me...my husband is intolerant to fruits as they all cause him to have cramps and diarrhea. He's a meat and potato guy. I was kinda hoping for the med. to be an answer in my case. Thanks so much for the advice!
    Love,
    Kady
  6. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

Since your guy is a meat and potatoes man, why not get on a high-protein/low-carb diet. Eat the meat; skip the poptatoes. After a while on a diet rich in fats, you will lose the desire for sugary foods. The Suzanne Somers diet is excellent and even offers fruit and desserts when you reach your desired weight. It's not so much a diet as a way of life.

Unfortunately, I have found that the high-protein diet has given me constipation, so I use a little Citrucel stool softener. It works as it's a natural fiber.

Love, Mikie
  7. kadywill

kadywill New Member

I will TRY not to eat those good things I'm cooking for him!!! lol.....
    Diane, I still have a phobia crisis now and then. A few months ago, I found it coming back. What happens to me is I develop an aversion to most foods....especially eggs, bacon, sausage, red meats, pork, veggies....All I can stomach during these times are carbs. I am just coming off of a "spell" right now and I have been able to eat some chicken and veggies, but I still cringe at red meats. I know this is purely mental, as I don't seem to have a problem that a doc can find. I wonder at times if I may have a gallbladder problem associated with my damaged liver, but I'm not going through MORE tests now; I have endured way too many of late. When I get REALLY bad, I can only eat dry cereal and I get so very thin and whenever I bend over, I throw up spontaneously. I'm not there now! I am overweight now, but that changes fairly quickly with me....I've had so many people AMAZED at how much I change from month to month and it's true. You should see pics of me; all in the same year. I believe some of it has been reactions to meds in the past, in some respect, but mostly I feel it's a control issue. I have always required some measure of control in this out-of-control life and it manifests by this food aversion, wt. loss/gain, drastic hairstyle changes and discontinuance of all meds at times, even if they're helping me. This is what I do.......I know it makes me sound really strange, but I seem fairly normal to most folks. Only *I* know the truth. heehee!!!
    Love,
    Kady
  8. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

That researchers are looking at eating disorders as well as ADHD as being possibly connected to our illnesses. Many now think there is a huge family of illnesses which share some things in common.

One of my daughters had anorexia and both my other daughter and I were hyperactive as kids.

Love, Mikie
  9. kadywill

kadywill New Member

I was diagnosed as hyperactive as a child, too. I had an unbearable childhood and spent my first four years in the Methodist Home for Children. After that, it was being moved from one "safe place" to another till I was 14. Then, I had three years in the house with my father and step-mother before running off to get MARRIED! THAT'S when the REAL trouble began!! lol
    I have no doubt that all of this adds up to what I have now. I think one day, we'll just smack our heads and say, "Golly, why didn't I think of that!" when we find out the real causes to our problems!
    Love,
    Kady
  10. dan0248

dan0248 New Member

I wouldn’t know what it would feel like to only go once or twice a week, my is uncontrollable and at least five times a day. I take at least 6 to 8 anti diarrhea pills a day just to try and hold off until I can have some control. It only works about 30% of the time. I can tell you where every bathroom is between my house and work and I can show you how to do it standing against a truck door, to crawling in a storm pipe, that doesn't even count the trees and the use of other things like dumsters, flowerbeds you name it and I've been there. I’d trade you in a hart beat.
    [This Message was Edited on 12/02/2002]
  11. nancyneptune

nancyneptune New Member

I've had daily diarrhea immediately after meals for many years. It has to do with the GERD. Excess acid in my gut has done this to me.
    I was on the Duragesic patch for one month. I needed Dynomite to get that blockage out!!!I had to do the old fashioned hose, nozzle and hot water bottle enema, with soap! I'm telling you it was like birthing a child and almost as big! I had to go off those patches.
    What I'm saying is, since you don't normally go more often than every three days you are going to have to start the routine fleet enema. There just isn't anything else! Sorry, N
  12. kadywill

kadywill New Member

Dan, I have never had a loose stool in my entire life and I don't want them!! I am so sorry for you~~bless your..um, heart! LOL
    Nancy, I had no trouble giving birth to four children, but the good Lord didn't intend for us to give birth to a nonpliable something or another out of our rear ends!!! I mean, once you get started and it won't go any further, you're in a real fix, huh??? I used a soapsuds enema a week or so ago...what we nurses call a triple H enema. "High, Hot and a Hell of a lot!" Not a good feeling procedure, I must say! I have never had any type of enema in my life and I don't wanna make a habit of this. Surely there is something palatable I can take to prevent this!!!! I don't hate the PeriColace and Dulcolax suppository combination, but it shouldn't be this hard (pun intended!)to use the bathroom!!!!
    Wonderful chat we're having, isn't it???
    Thanks guys!! We've become SO close!!
    Love,
    Kady
  13. kadywill

kadywill New Member

I am lactose intolerant, it would seem, as dairy products gas me up something fierce! Would acidophilus do this?? How's it taste? I was used to skim milk.
    Thanks!
    Kady
    [This Message was Edited on 12/03/2002]
    [This Message was Edited on 12/03/2002]