To Mikie about Guai and oak pollen time in Florida

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by klutzo, Mar 6, 2003.

1. klutzo

klutzo New Member

Dear Mikie,
    Well, my house, driveway, and my dogs are covered in piles of stringy brown oak pollen. It's oak pollen time again in Florida, and our lot is completely shaded by 2 huge water oaks and one huge live oak. There is no way I can avoid this stuff. Every time the dogs come in they must be brushed and have it pulled off of them. Every time I go out, it lands all over my clothes and my hair and has to be picked out. It gets tracked into the house and is all over the floors, needing to be cleaned up constantly, since it causes sinus irritation, even in those not alleric to it, as I'm sure you know, since you live here too.
    The only way I could avoid touching it would be if I wore gardening gloves all day long, and in this heat, that is just not going to be tolerable. It was 88 degrees on my deck at 10 am today.
    Do you think picking the long strings of oak pollen off of my clothes and hair and dogs will block the Guai? What do you do at this time of year, or do you live in a condo with no oaks near you?
    My husband and I have laid in an extra supply of Benadryl to last us for the next 3 weeks until the onslaught is over for another year. I am sweeping up enough every day to fill a king-sized mattress!
    I don't want this to interfere with my Guai, so any advice appreciated.
    Thanks, KLutzo
  2. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

All the Oak trees in my little condo village are planted along the entrance drive and not near the buildings. I haven't noticed anything. I do not know how long this pollen will be with you, but it may or may not block the Guai. The Guai treatment is such a long-term deal that I do not believe in the long run that it will make much difference. I know how careful you try to be with sals and it's admirable, but sometimes it's just unavoidable.

It was almost 90 here today. I do not want another hot spring like last year. Geez! I've hardly enjoyed the winter weather again this year. El Nino is to blame. I like hot humid weather, but we get enough of that in the summer. Also, I need time to acclimate to it. Yesterday, I was in the pool most of the day and today, I've been inside with the A/C on.

Take care and try not to worry too much about this pollen.

Love, Mikie