To Mikie: Mexico illness

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by Applyn59, Jul 7, 2003.

1. Applyn59

Applyn59 New Member

I have been worried about this myself. I went
    to Mexico in 88 and when I came home, I was
    the sickest I have ever been in my life. Vomiting,
    diarrhea, chills, headache, shaking, etc. It last
    for about 8 days or so. I was extremely careful
    when in Mexico. None of my other friends got sick.
    I believe I had already had meds that I asked my dr.
    to order for me prior to going so I took those when
    I came home. I am going to see if I can find out
    what they were.

Do you know if it's possible to get parasites
    or any type of infection all those years ago and
    still have the problem so many years later?

Thanks so much.
    I am trying to sort out my several health problems
    and make a good medical history for my Lyme
    Dr. that I am seeing in a couple weeks. I would
    appreciate any light you might be able to shed
    on this topic.

Lynn
  2. lucky

lucky New Member

I just noticed your message, and although I am not Mikie, I believe that I have a little experience with my many Mexiko visits which over the past years have been many.
    I also got quite sick in Ixtapa in 1985 and lateron in another resort. At that time I was not diagnosed with CFS/FMS yet and it took me quite some time when I returned home to get on my feet again.
    I got tested a few times after returning from Mexico and other southern destinations and twice or 3 times I had parasites which were treated accordingly.
    However, with our illnesses we are so much more vulnerable, and I would ask your doctor to do a stool test. At least then you know whether you have a parasite or not.
    Hope, this info helps, kind regards, Lucky
  3. Applyn59

Applyn59 New Member

Thanks for the response. Maybe Mikie will see this
    after it gets bumped up.

I went to Acapulco in 1989 and was diagnosed
    with FMS in 1994. I have never even made
    any kind of connection with this until I came on
    this board and everyone is talking about various
    things. It got me thinking. Unfortunately, too much.

Thanks for sharing your experience.
    I want to get a stool test.
    Lynn
  4. lucky

lucky New Member

I am sure that the trip to Acapulco and your being sick there is not the reason why you got fibromyalgia. A lot of people I know have had the same problems in Mexico (Montesuma's Revenge!!), and after they recuperated were o.k.
    The problems with fungi and bacterias you are reading about are usually what a lot of people with CFS/FMS experience due to the dysfunct immune system. But at the same time, parasites are also easily picked up for the same reason. However, if you would have a parasite infection, I am sure you would have had severe symptoms way before you were diagnosed with FMS.
    But getting the stool tested is a very good idea.
    Kind regards, Lucky
  5. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

If we are genetically predisposed, and I believe we are, just about any kind of infection could trigger our illnesses. A lot of the chrinic infections we seem to have go stealth in the body and live without detection by our immune systems. They continue to makes us sick and we never get rid of them unless we go on long-term treatments. In the case of the Herpes-family viruses, they never go away in anyone's body. They just become latent and will reactivate if we get run down. Being run down is normal for us.

I believe we are probably more vulnerable to picking up bugs when we travel. My daughter with FMS came back from Spain with a horrible intestinal parasite. It took her a long time to get over it and she was very, very sick.

Love, Mikie